License question

Jareb

May 11, 2009
I saw that this forum is for trip reports, but there doesn't appear to be any place for questions about motorbiking in Vietnam (basically on any forum I've found on the internet), so I thought I'd give it a shot and the moderator could move it to the right place.

On a few forums, I've read that it's illegal to ride a motorbike of any size without a Vietnamese license and that the police has been targeting westerners and confiscating bikes for a few days.

Curious, I wrote to the embassy in DC and asked about being able to drive on a US license (with bike endorsement) in Vietnam and here was the reply I was given (and I did specify that I would only be visiting, not living there):

“It may be done when you are in Vietnam. You may submit the application requesting the Department of Transportation and Public Services to issue for you one driving license. You have to bring your license and have it translated in Vietnamese.”

Has anyone ever had this done?

Jareb

May 11, 2009
I received my answer via a different board. Moderator, could you please delete this entire post?

Jun 1, 2008
I guess no-one knew the answer here, and probably still don't.

Can you share the answer with is so we know?

Thanks

Jareb

May 11, 2009
Sure, sorry about that.

If you are on a tourist visa that is longer than three months (not only three months), you can get an application for a Vietnamese license from the local Department of Transportation and Public Services when you are in Vietnam. You fill it in and bring a translation of your license from your country, submit both and you can get a Vietnamese license that is valid as long as your home one is and you don't have to turn in your home license (apparently it takes about a week). I don't know how much it costs.

Jareb

May 11, 2009
Rereading that, I now see how it can be unclear.

The license is from your home country. The translation is done in Vietnam by an official translator.