Lifan dealer in Chiang Mai

JB2112

Nov 3, 2011
273971=6839-Lifan%20Biz%20card%20photo0001.jpg

Business card for Lifan dealer on Charoen Mueang Road not far from Superhighway (across from Mazda dealer and just a few 100 meters east of Isuzu dealer). Coming from Chiang Mai Old City you cross Nawarat Bridge and the Lifan dealer will be on right-hand side after the railway station and before the Superhighway.

Web site
http:/http://www.chaichanaautobike.com/

JB2112

Nov 3, 2011
Firstly, thank you to David for adding this category.

I did not want to raise any hackles by asking for Lifan to be added to such illustrious company as Kawasaki, BMW, etc. I personally feel that there is a niche group of us (mostly newbies?) who are interested in the less-expensive motorbikes.

I hope this category can become a place to share our experiences in purchasing, repairing (I have already done so), experiencing, and more.

Good luck to all the Lifan riders.

JB
-----------

I purchased my orange Lifan with credit card in mid-November: 47,380 baht which gave me the bike, a helmet, and 2 shirts. Also included is registration and basic insurance.

The owner speaks acceptable English and was very willing to answer any questions I had.

There were no orange models in stock, but lo-and-behold, they had the plastic in stock and told me they would have my orange bike ready in a few hours.

Minus the plastic parts

273972=6842-DSC00339.jpg

273972=6843-DSC00341.jpg

Putting on the lovely orange bits

273972=6846-DSC00342.jpg

273972=6847-DSC00344.jpg

273972=6844-DSC00345.jpg

273972=6845-DSC00346.jpg

273972=6848-DSC00347.jpg

Finished product

273972=6849-DSC00351.jpg

Attached files
273972=6840-DSC00339.jpg
273972=6841-DSC00341.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Saw my first Lifan a few weeks ago here in Bangkok- he must have been running an after market pipe as the bike was loud as hell. He ripped through traffic on the knobby tires. Not a bad first impression :)

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
JB2112 congtats on new bike, she looks good in orange and welcome to the site.
Please keep us informed on the performance and maintenance of your new Lifan 200cc.

Cheers Ken F

JB2112

Nov 3, 2011
The following post has been submitted after a few hours rest period after the incident so as not to be a rant or the like.

The bike is running great, but I had a problem with the helmet that was part of the original purchase along with extra t-shirts. A little plastic piece broke off the locking clip for the visor when I tried to replace the visor for the very first time. I brought the helmet in to the shop in the hope that they would replace the helmet.

Note: I try to not bring in any bad attitude to any of the shops and in this case I was extra courteous and respectful.

The shop decided to replace the locking mechanism from another helmet. My initial thought was that it would be easier just to give me a new helmet, and send the malfunctioning, unsafe helmet back to the OEM dealer or place of purchase, but they moved on with the repair. The repair did not work for some reason as the visor popped out easily, so I made a push for a new helmet. The owner then went from smiles to frowns and explained that the helmet was free when I purchased the bike. I politely explained that this was a bad statement to make and bad business as the helmet was unsafe when he gave it to me.

I think the ownership entails a wife/husband deal as this couple was playing good cop / bad cop with the wife being bad cop. I did not like the raised level of their voices and expressed this fact that I did not like this to the husband in a firm tone. I think this humbled him enough to give me a new helmet, but this certainly did not stop them from giving me the angry "wave off" to get out of the shop.

You get what you pay for, I guess. Lesson learned: Ensure that all equipment is covered by warranty when I purchase next time.

I hope others start posting their experiences whether good or bad. I don't want to be the only, err, "bad egg."

Sep 4, 2007
Hi JB, thanks for detailing your experience, and I am sure no one would criticize you for the stance you took. Seems funny that you can spend upwards of 1 million Baht on a BMW bike and cannot persuade the dealer to give you a biro, let alone a helmet, yet Lifan and others give away helmets and others also jackets and T shirts. To be honest one cannot expect anything in the way of quality with any of these freebies and you are much better refusing free helmets, trying to negotiate for a less critical gift and going and buying a good helmet that fits you well.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I once had a spare key cut for my Honda and chose a real nice one which had a dark blue plastic piece with a silver wing on it. Paid 50 baht and rode home. The plastic piece fell out when I pulled the key out! I went straight back and asked for a repair. They took the plastic piece from another key, glued it in with super-glue and demanded 10 baht. I told the guy that I just bought it and won't pay for the repair, but he insisted and didn't want to give me the key back.
Finally I paid the 10 baht and told some english-speaking Thais who got involved that I won't ever come back to this shop.
I have to laugh now about the incident, but sometimes it's not the money, it's the way I'm being treated.

So this Lifan is Chinese made and is a 200cc enduro for 47,380 baht? Please let us know how it holds up!
What other bikes do they offer in TH?

Nov 7, 2007
KZ25;274895 wrote: I once had a spare key cut for my Honda and chose a real nice one which had a dark blue plastic piece with a silver wing on it. Paid 50 baht and rode home. The plastic piece fell out when I pulled the key out! I went straight back and asked for a repair. They took the plastic piece from another key, glued it in with super-glue and demanded 10 baht. I told the guy that I just bought it and won't pay for the repair, but he insisted and didn't want to give me the key back.
Finally I paid the 10 baht and told some english-speaking Thais who got involved that I won't ever come back to this shop.
I have to laugh now about the incident, but sometimes it's not the money, it's the way I'm being treated.

So this Lifan is Chinese made and is a 200cc enduro for 47,380 baht? Please let us know how it holds up!

KZ25, getting ready to buy yourself a Lifan now :)
Lifan , seems to have some manufacturing in thailand ...not sure how much of their bikes are made here though....as for their Bikes ,...this the website: http://www.lifanthailand.com/

mbox

Jul 18, 2009
Ive found that telling a Thai shop owner that you wont come back does absolutely nothing. They couldnt care less. Ive also learnt that if I wish to discuss any warranty or service issues its best to wait until there is a few other customers about and politely talk loud enough for them to hear. The face issue then comes into play and often cause theres an audience the shop owner will relent.
If its only a one on one conversation and the Thai person doesnt like what your saying they will often just turn around and walk away from you , leaving you standing there. To loudly rant and rave will most definately get you " nowhere ".

Feb 1, 2012
Over Christmas this year my brother in law's friend came over to visit us in Mae Sai and had a new Lifan Cross 200 (black) he asked if i would like to ride it back over to Chiang Mai for him he would ride in the car ... cool only been riding our honda click for weeks so i was looking forward to this ride off i went... i found It picked up at the lights no worrys quicker than most cars up to about 80km, it seemed to handle fine doing some weaving though traffic and i had it sitting on a 100km on the highway. it was hard to see the insterument gauge glare on it maybe my sunglasses did not help but found you had to get right over it to read it. The motor i thought sounded noisy like they never botherd to tighten up everything in its guts compared with a honda XR it is noisy but as i said seemed get along nicely.If your after a cheap dirt bike maybe your first one okay but i do not know if i would trust it way off the beaten track with out a bit of back up help being around.
But for what a Lifan Cross 200 costs on road ride away not a bad buy :shh:

My better half posing on it.

276784=8965-2011-12-27%2013.01.43.jpg

JB2112

Nov 3, 2011
Yesterday, I dropped off my Lifan for another repair which was identical to my first repair: clutch issues. This experience was far more enjoyable and satisfactory. An employee named Goong was who I dealt with. She spoke great English and was so ready to see me with a working motorbike.
When I picked the bike up today she showed me the old parts and it appeared (to Mr Non-Mechanical Guy) to be friction pads or the like. They had been nearly destroyed so I cam guessing lubrication issue or something. The claim was covered by warranty so I left the shop having paid only for oil and a new rear brake pad.
Happy customer today and the bike is running great!

Jul 8, 2011
KZ25;274895 wrote:

I am also curious to read a report on its first 5000 or so km.