Lightning Kills Motorcyclist

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
As if there are not enough things trying to knock you off your bike already; I have not heard of this happening before, but it makes you think.........

Motorcyclist Killed by Lightning While Riding Back From Charity Event

Sunday , April 26, 2009

AP

LAWRENCE, Kan. —
A 45-year-old Lawrence man was killed when he was hit by lightning as he was riding his motorcycle as storms swept through northeast Kansas.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig says the man was with six other motorcyclists who are members of the Bikers Against Child Abuse group. He was hit by lightning about 5 p.m. Saturday on U.S. 24 between Perry and Granville.

A man riding next to the victim was treated and released at a Topeka hospital. The other five members of the group were not injured.

Herrig says the motorcyclists were returning home after visiting some children they had helped in the past in their work against child abuse. He calls the man's death a "tragic, sad thing."

Jun 1, 2008
Not quite the same but the following happened to a local here during last year.

It is certainly a consideration if riding in stormy weather

Lightning strike kills huntsman

By Kristin Edge
A man and his horse are dead after being struck by lightning at a Dargaville farm yesterday.

Three other riders and a photographer also hit by the bolt were hospitalised as a series of spectacular thunderstorms rolled through Northland yesterday.

The 61-year-old dead man was riding across the brow of a hill with a group of other hunting riders near Dargaville when he was struck on his helmet about 12.30pm

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
I always been thinking that one is "safe" inside the car when lightning starts as they are standing in rubber tyre,,same should apply to bike's,,should it? :cry:
I mean idont like to ride in storm but some times there is no choise, but in the "Light" on this, make me think is that safe any more...

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
It makes me think " when your number comes up your outta here " or don't ride a Harley or BMW as God hates them he prefers Jap Crap.
hahahehe.

Cheers "Thats Life "

Jun 1, 2008
Marco wrote: I always been thinking that one is "safe" inside the car when lightning starts as they are standing in rubber tyre,,same should apply to bike's,,should it? :cry:
I mean idont like to ride in storm but some times there is no choise, but in the "Light" on this, make me think is that safe any more...
I don't profess to know much about lightening Marco but I do know that rubber insulation is not the be all and end all. A good friend has recently retired as a 747-400 captain for Air New Zealand. He has been flying at full altitude and hit by lightening. Iasked what it does and he said it shakes things around a bit and can punch small holes in the outside skin of the aircraft.

I somehow doubt that rubber is much insulation to lightening.

Cheers

T

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Rubber is the best insulating material for high voltage power and is used everyday by power workers we are talking 1.1 and 3.3 KV's unfortunately lighting can be 10 to 100 times this voltage and nothing is going to save you except GOD.
My 2 bobs worth

Ken F

Oct 17, 2006
A car, plane or other closed metalic bodies allowing the current to float around such body is a
FARADEISCHER (Kaefig) cage, sorry no translation found. As long as you are inside such cage you are safe from direct shock.
Passengers in a plane are safe but the plane itself might suffer other failures due to the impact.
A bike is not a cage. The biker is the highest point and therefore can very well attract lightening strokes.
Therefore never seek protection under a solitary tree, by definition a strike point. The basic rule is =

stretch out flat on the ground.

This in simple words, others may have better explanations.

Pico

Aug 29, 2007
PICO-PICO wrote: A car, plane or other closed metalic bodies allowing the current to float around such body is a
FARADEISCHER (Kaefig) cage, sorry no translation found. As long as you are inside such cage you are safe from direct shock.
Passengers in a plane are safe but the plane itself might suffer other failures due to the impact.
A bike is not a cage. The biker is the highest point and therefore can very well attract lightening strokes.
Therefore never seek protection under a solitary tree, by definition a strike point. The basic rule is =

stretch out flat on the ground.

This in simple words, others may have better explanations.

Pico
You are correct Pico-Pico. When you consider how far the lightning has travelled from the clouds to the ground through a perfect insulator (air), do you really think a few mm of rubber is going to stop it? The English translation for the effect a car creates is Faraday Cage, named after the English physicist Michael Faraday. The German term comes from this. If you have an enclosed metal body, the charge will go around it evenly, leaving anything inside it intact. This was well demonstrated in an episode of Top Gear, where one of them sat in a car beneath a high voltage power source which discharged through the car. It's on Youtube at the link below, and is quite spectacular. Most lightning strikes of planes occur because the plane happens to be in the path of the bolt, rather than the bolt being attracted to the plane. On the ground it's different, the lightning bolt will be attracted to the tallest thing in the vicinity. If that happens to be you on a bike, the charge will use you as a way to reach the ground.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Of course we are assuming he was moving and didn't have a foot on the ground.

Guy in thre village w by lightening don't know the circumstances, didn't kill him but lost both hands and one leg. Dangerous stuff.