Little Ride In Ban Pa Pong Hills ...

NELSKA

Aug 8, 2017
Chiang Mai
Dear GT Riders,

Today, I would like to share a beautiful spot in the mountains, easy to access in the dry season. The road to get there is pleasant and offers beautiful landscapes.
Here is the GPS point of the mountain spot : 18 ° 46'18.4 "N 98 ° 49'35.0" E
Leaving Chiang Mai, take the 1269 road towards Samoeng.
After about 23 km (from Highway 121) turn left here (18 ° 46'34.0 "N 98 ° 51'16.6" E) onto a small mountain road that leads to a village named Ban Pa Pong.

DSC_01.jpg

The small road rises through cornfields and also orange groves.

DSC_02.jpg

DSC_03.jpg

DSC_04.jpg

DSC_13.jpg

DSC_12.jpg

DSC_14.jpg

You cross the village and at the exit, the road rises again and it will turn again on the left by a small very steep (concrete road for the fews steep part). It quickly turns into a dirt track and the landscapes in the hills become really beautiful.

DSC_15.jpg
Ban Pa Pong village ...

DSC_16.jpg

DSC_17.jpg

DSC_18.jpg

The path is easy in the dry season. I don't recommend it in the rainy season except for real trails bike with real off-road tires.
No problem today on the V-Strom with my wife.

DSC_19.jpg

DSC_20.jpg

DSC_21.jpg

DSC_22.jpg

DSC_23.jpg

DSC_24.jpg

I advise you to follow the path to the GPS point (18 ° 46'18.4 "N 98 ° 49'35.0" E), you will see a mast with a small flag on a promontoir, the view is really stunning and panoramic photos or videos lovers or happy drone owners should have fun.

DSC_25.jpg

DSC_28.jpg

DSC_29.jpg

DSC_33.jpg

DSC_38.jpg

DSC_50.jpg

DSC_42.jpg

DSC_44.jpg

From the GPS point that I gave you, there are other paths that snake higher up in the hills and it may be possible to make a larger circuit by the dirt roads. I think the ideal is to explore them with lighter and more off-road bikes.

DSC_36.jpg

DSC_47.jpg

DSC_49.jpg

DSC_48.jpg

DSC_27.jpg

DSC_40.jpg

For the return when you join the small road of the village, if you go on Samoeng, turn left, this alternative direction will also allow you to join the 1269 towards Samoeng.

DSC_52.jpg

The alternative way back to the 1269 road ...

DSC_53.jpg

DSC_54.jpg

DSC_55.jpg

This little country walk is definitely worth a visit, especially for a picnic break during a the Samoeng Loop.

Thanks for reading me. Have a good trip and see you soon!