Living quality, your definition /where found ??

Aug 29, 2007
The problem is not riding your bike over the country, it's riding it through Bangkok, and to a lesser extent on those bone jarring concrete highways.

I've wandered around the country for 20 years now and ended up in a small village in Buri Ram. I've spent time on the coast in Rayong, Cha-am, Nakhorn Sri Thammarat, Songkhla, Samui and Krabi. Sure, the beach and sea are nice, but you can't spend your whole life sitting on the beach. I've spent time in Bangkok and Pattaya, convenient in that most of what you need is there, but there's only so much dirt and smoke you can take. I worked in Fang, north of Chiang Mai for a while in the early 90's. Very nice part of the country, nice scenery, mountain roads, but a bit isolated for my liking. So how did I end up in Buri Ram? It's where the wife comes from, her families all here. It makes it better for her when I'm away at work, and easier for me to jump on the bike and head off when I want. It's also a nice place. I drew up the plans for my house the way I wanted it to be, teak upstairs with a big verandah, marble down stairs, nice and cool. No real view, but we're completely surrounded with trees so no need. I don't have to fight through traffic everytime I leave the house. I'm half way between Buri Ram and Surin, so there are there are 2 Tesco's, 2 Big C's, 2 Makro's, countless Thai bars and a few expat ones within a 30km radius. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. There's a few other farangs building houses in the village now, so looks like others do too.

Oct 17, 2006
I read an interesting comment on Thai Visa on the issue of buying property

An Important Point to Note

The bank does not take the land off the debtor - The Courts do.

The Courts take the land in a court action and then the Courts auction the land with the intention of splitting the proceeds between the bank (too pay off the debt) and the debtor, who receives the residue minus charges.

The only time the banks get the land is if they (the bank) buy the land in the Court Action. This happens when the Court cannot sell the land and reduces the price, they keep trying to sell the land (reducing the price each time) until either someone buys the land or the bank steps in to ensure that it does not loose money in the sale.

So the lesson is Take a day out to the Court office and have a look what land they have on the Court books - What the banks have is the dross.

Question =

1. Is this a special type of court, ie. what would you ask for? District Court, Local Court ?

Answer

We found our land at the District Court in the Provincial Capital - but then our land is in the provincial capital, so I can't be sure if this dicatates which court you should go to. Ask around a few Thais they'll know (but don't get them involved in your purchase - If you want to buy in Town A, go ask how to go about it in Town B and then do it yourself in Town A)

Question
I assume this is a job where you would definitely need a Thai (missus) along to help out (?)

Answer
No, I went to the court myself and found the land myself - I am a Thai speaker, but I think you could manage with help from the court staff.

Question
3. Once you get to the court is there a special office, counter, noticeboard, etc?

Answer

They have both, they have a notice board in the court and an assets clearence office - ask a the court

Question

4. So none of the properties in the bank brochures would also be listed at the Court? ie. they are separate pools of properties (although the banks bought theirs at court previously)

ANSER Correct!!!

5. With the court properties is there is a listed price or do they only sell via auction or both options available (?)

They sell by auction, the start price is stated and you can ask at the Assets Clearance Office to find the price - You can also make a bid prior to the auction if you wish but it will not be accepted until the auction date.

6 If buying via the courth are there any special rules applying to foreigners (apart from the normal Thai property ownership laws)

None at all - You as a foreigner cannot buy land - Period.

UNQUOTE

PICO
here is the link
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bank-Property-t27442.html

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

As all of you knows very well, a foreigner can't buy straight a property in Thailand except a condo at the condition the foreigner quota is not reached.

Howver, there are hundreds of ways to do it and be safer if you fear something...

On an other hand, I will NOT recommand the aquisition of the condo as it will last as long as it will be maintain by a serious Company, as soon as it will have problem of an unbalance P&L....Problems and the Condo is ruined.

I know several of firends who have unfortunatelly experienced it in Bangkok and Pattaya... It could be the same in some "ghost" residences who empty from residents but that's more rare.

Willing to exchange on that, just PM. as writting this message, I do realise that it is maybe not the right forum to debate about

Oct 17, 2006
Azoulay, why not on this forum if you want to reach friends with like interest ? We talk about so many subjects here under General why not about something that might be very valuable and be it only to just one GTR member.

You are very right about Condos, may I add
2 more comments=

-the developer may be solid but the property can be sold at a moment and you dont know how good the successor is.

- if the prospectus of the property makes claims which are not met, the fine to the developer is ............. 2000 (two thousand ) b !!!!!.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Ok Friends,

If you don't feel it unadapted to this forum thus we can go on exchanging on that as I like the issue myself as well.

For me too many foreigners do not know about possibilities, and when you hear about bad stories, it's generally related to "easy dating" with bar girls...So for those loosing something in the story, it's only the bad return of their "investment" if I coulsay so...

For me LOS, is typically a nice country to invest in, with very low tax to live, nice people, good and respectfull Custommer Service...A big differnce with Europe which is now for me the "Mine" where I must work still few years before retirement and to spare few Euros (very welcome as well in LOS...).

For those having the chance to already live there, just imagine your come back in home country, r those who don't live there yet, just imagine your life ther...