Long Weekend- Lets Ride! Bangkok - Loei - Nan!

Dec 27, 2007
Great pics Rex! Was good to see you again, and on a road bike no less! Glad that you were able to find a few patches of dirt along the way! Happy Trails! Tony :happy5:

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
What a great little road. Well done guys.

Looks like a great weekend. Have to try harder to do one with you.

Mar 30, 2010
Here is another pic of that road.. This time taken with a better camera.. The other one was with the iPhone

246505_439232756100662_267154777_n.jpg

Here is another pic about 1,500 metres above sea level before the land slide.. With Rex and Frank.
527733_439257056098232_1891960077_n.jpg

Cheers
Brian

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Congrats on a super trip & ride guys.
Ive been slow replying because Ive been trying to find my trip report for R1333,

AND

there isn't one.
You've got one on me. Ive only done the R1257 southern end from R1169 to Don Phrai Wan & Lak Thai on R1081, but never the Don Phrai Wan - Pak Huak R4016 / 1333 sector.
Nan is really full of fantastic surprises for biking roads. It never stops putting a mile wide smile on your dial. The roads are orgasmic, almost.

You had to chuckle about the clay road surface through landslide & I bet there were quite a few nervous moments, then a smile & a huge relief after the event. Made it.
Moto-Rex getting out there on a Versys is something too. Well done Rex, but I don't have any thoughts about converting you. I know you're too happy pottering around on your go anywhere / swim anywhere KLX.

It was also good meeting up with some of you guys in Loei, after I came out of Laos & my Luang Prabang loop.
I enjoyed the conversation & swapping of notes. Rob & Tony I'm glad you enjoyed the Jameson's. I always do, especially when it's only 550 baht a bottle duty free on the Laos side at the Friendship Bridge.
After you guys left I took it real easy nursing that dodgy front sprocket home on the AT.

Thanks again for the report guys. It was a beauty.

For those who want to know about more about the roads & riding in Nan checkout
but I can't see my R1257 ride in there. It is however a trip I did with Silverhawk some time ago.

Take care & keep enjoying Nan.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2007
Davidfl;279887 wrote: Congrats on a super trip & ride guys.
Ive been slow replying because Ive been trying to find my trip report for R1333,

AND

there isn't one.
You've got one on me. Ive only done the R1257 southern end from R1169 to Don Phrai Wan & Lak Thai on R1081, but never the Don Phrai Wan - Pak Huak R4016 / 1333 sector.
Nan is really full of fantastic surprises for biking roads. It never stops putting a mile wide smile on your dial. The roads are orgasmic, almost.

You had to chuckle about the clay road surface through landslide & I bet there were quite a few nervous moments, then a smile & a huge relief after the event. Made it.
Moto-Rex getting out there on a Versys is something too. Well done Rex, but I don't have any thoughts about converting you. I know you're too happy pottering around on your go anywhere / swim anywhere KLX.

It was also good meeting up with some of you guys in Loei, after I came out of Laos & my Luang Prabang loop.
I enjoyed the conversation & swapping of notes. Rob & Tony I'm glad you enjoyed the Jameson's. I always do, especially when it's only 550 baht a bottle duty free on the Laos side at the Friendship Bridge.
After you guys left I took it real easy nursing that dodgy front sprocket home on the AT.

Thanks again for the report guys. It was a beauty.

For those who want to know about more about the roads & riding in Nan checkout
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/26648-Return-to-Nan-back-to-the-future
but I can't see my R1257 ride in there. It is however a trip I did with Silverhawk some time ago.

Take care & keep enjoying Nan.
Cheers David!

It was great to catch up with you in Loei!

I do recall your trip report with Silverhawk on the 1257 but I have a feeling they may have changed the road number? For some reason "1273" is stuck in my head and I was a bit confused when we ended up on the "1257"...

Similarly, I guess the 1333 used to be the "4016".

As the powers that be re-number roads it does get a bit confusing, but in Nan it seems you really can't go wrong!

Was digging around for old maps and came across this video clip- turn up your volume and enjoy 1081 FTW!!!

madjbs

Apr 10, 2006
I was in town after finishing a caving trip up in the hills. There was a couple of guys on similar bikes in Da Darios that night so I thought it might have been you, I probably would have recognized you though.

I have not tried the riverside yet, after Da Dariois we went to the bar area just over the road where there must be a dozen different bars/pubs with live music etc.. and then to the "Channel X" nightclub. We also found a nice little bar restaurant in the centre of town called "tarung" which appears to be open and serving food all night. The only down side is the drunken Thai owner took a liking to my friend and apparently is now in love with him (quick escape after that!). The drive to Chiang Mai the next day was not pleasant after all that!