Looking for a solid bike

Sep 26, 2006
To go the distance from Thailand through to Vietnam and beyond. Also, if anyone has advice or friends that can help register a bike for a foreigner, that would be appreciated very much!

Oct 12, 2005
Tonyk,

Just an FYI keep in mind Vietnam is difficult to bring in bikes. I believe the CC limit is 175cc for bringing a bike through Vietnam. This narrows your bike choices dramtically, so you'd be limited to something like a Honda CBR 150 4 stroke or Honda NSR 150 two stroke.

Food for thought if you were hoping on a BMW GS or similiar.

Cheers all.
"Formerly known as the twat, racer55"

Fiddy

Aug 30, 2006
What is the Vietnamese rationale with that lame 175 cc rule?? such an odd size now, seemed popular in the 70's?

Sep 26, 2006
Dear Big and Tall,

Thanks for the useful reply. Can I assume that you are what your name implies? Me too! So, the question is whether the CBR or NSR would be good for guys like us. I'm 6'4".
Thanks!
I'm thinking at this point of renting in Chiang Mai. What are the good agencies with good reputation and reasonable rates, if anyone knows?

Apr 10, 2006
Tony, I think at 6'4 your gonna end up bent over like an old man after riding through Thailand and Vietnam on a NSR/CBR150.

I had a NSR150 and my back would be aching after riding from Pattaya to Sattahip and back, a journey of only about 60km and I'm only 5'11.

Think I'd go for the Kawasaki boss or Honda Phantom 150 for travelling long distance.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by tonyk2000gs

Dear Big and Tall,

Thanks for the useful reply. Can I assume that you are what your name implies? Me too! So, the question is whether the CBR or NSR would be good for guys like us. I'm 6'4".
Thanks!
I'm thinking at this point of renting in Chiang Mai. What are the good agencies with good reputation and reasonable rates, if anyone knows?

For bike rental in Chiang Mai take a look at
1. https://www.gt-rider.com/bikes.html
2. Link removed

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Oct 12, 2005
Tony,

Like Penetrator says at 6' 4" an NSR while fun would be a bit of a pain for long days. I'm a masochist and prefer sportbikes and can log 400 KM days on an NSR but I'm a tad shorter than you and would not recommend it. But hey, if thats what will get you in the country not much choice then right.

The Boss or Phantom may be more practical but then its...a....cruiser (uggh).

Cheers all.
"Formerly known as the twat, racer55"