Looking for Yamaha/Honda dealers who sell non-officialor imported bikes

May 6, 2013
Hello GT-Members,

I just live a few months in Thailand and am enthusiastic about GT-Ride website and the many
routes you can find here in neighboring countries.
However the first requirement, that's a no-brainer, should of course be a motorcycle:happy3:
As I now visited the regular Honda/Yamaha dealers in BKK and partly in Pattaya; I noticed
they have a limited official assortment of bikes.
However I am more interested in a cruiser like the Yamaha DragStar/MidnightStar(also know here as Roadliner)or Honda 1800 VTX, as examples for what I am looking for.
Could members of GT-Riders give me additional information where these kind of bikes can be ordered and ideally come with a good service and maintenance?
Suggestions very welcome:smile1:

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Ben

Dec 27, 2007
If you want a 100% road legal cruiser in Thailand the Kawasaki Vulcan should be on your list.
color_vulcan_grey.jpg
color_custom_orange.jpg

It comes in two flavors from Kawasaki, Thailand:

h3_vulcan900_classic.gif
h3_vulcan900_custom_se.gif

http://www.kawasaki.co.th/th/motorcycle_05_vulcan900c.asp
Advantage of buying from an authorized dealer is a 100% legal bike and factory warranty. Also, Kawasaki prices are fixed so you won't have to worry about being overcharged like some of the other dealers do here in Thailand.

The other brands that have official dealers selling Cruiser-style bikes in Thailand are Harley Davidson (http://www.harley-davidsonbangkok.com/) and Triumph (http://www.britbike.co.th/Triumph_Motorcycle_Thailand,_Britbike/Motorcycles_List_ENGLISH.html) oh, and let's not forget the Ducati Diavel (http://www.ducatithailand.com/)

Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha official dealers still do not offer any cruisers in Thailand...

Otherwise you're looking at grey market bikes, some plated, many not. Beware of dodgy / fake books and plates and sellers that that are happy to sell you an "invoice" bike and promise you plates "later".

You can find plated cruisers with legal books from dealers such as Red Baron (http://www.redbaronbkk.com) and DR Bike (http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/store/home/en.html). There are of course many other shops that sell second hand cruisers, and you can also see what's available on the various classified sites. Mocyc.com is the biggest, but all in Thai. Smaller english language sites worth looking at include BahtSold (http://www.bahtsold.com/index.php) and the ThaiVisa classifieds (http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/) and of course the GT-Rider Motorcycle Buy and Sell section: https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/forumdisplay.php/24-Motorcycle-Buy-and-Sell

Good luck!

:happy1:

May 6, 2013
Thank you very much TonyBKK for this useful information; hope to join GT-Riders soon having my own bike!!!

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Mate I would take your time to buy and learn all about cruiser bikes in Thailand first. I thought the Vulcan 900 would be a good bike even thou a bit pricey. Basically its 280 Kg with only 50HP it has a good feel but a bit under powered (my opinion only). I ended up buying a Yamaha Midnight Star 1300cc weight is 305kg and 73Hp and I am very happy with this bike but never seen another in Thailand. There seems to be many Yamaha 1100cc cruiser models around and Harley Davidsons but both these are air cooled and my 1300 is water cooled for the hotter weather. If you want trouble free riding I would just buy a new Thai distributed big bike or if like some riders in Thailand you want a particular bike then take your time and do research to find what you want.

Cheers Ken F

Jul 15, 2012
For what its worth buy something made here....If its imported you will find the most basic parts need to be imported....

I recently needed the following for my honda.

regulator, water pump, ignition coil, brake pads and spark plugs. All except the plugs had to be imported. I called at least 6 shops for the plugs and finally got them for 2800baht ( that was the discounted price)

when i needed parts for my locally made dtracker it was a piece of cake...

May 6, 2013
Hello Ken,

Thanks for your message and sharing your experience and view with regards to this topic with me. As I already visited
two kawasaki dealers to look at the Vulcan classic and custom; I do agree with the comments from Tony that's a
bike that looks good and has the advantage of being locally produced.(Could'nt get a test-drive unfortunately).
As the 50 HP would just be enough for me as I am no spring-chicken anymore, and I want to enjoy the scenery of Thailand(and neighboring countries)in the "cruising" mode rather than speeding. That said I would not object to a bit better weight vs
hp ratio, and that water cooled Midnight Star you drive can certainly boost my enthusiasm too. But as you already stated yourself you never seen another bike like this in Thailand, and this raises some questions to me:
Did you import it yourself and payed the 200% tax on it(would get unaffordable to me I guess); used a grey importer(and had trouble with getting a greenbook),
do you have to import spare-parts and is this a reliable supply-chain, how difficult was it to get a good mechanic for the maintenance(or is it DIY)etc?
Would appreciate if you could elaborate on these questions from me.
Thanks in advance,
Ben

p.s. Just would like to state in general that I find the forum of GT-Riders very refreshing as opposed to some others; as here
it NOT seems to be about "grinding" other members, but show respect for each-other's opinion's :)

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hi Kaaskop

I did not import bike, I brought from a friend. He brought from Pattaya sport bikes shop who organised the import and registration.

Its a Yamaha don't need parts except oil and air filters, I brought when out of Thailand and have extras but can order via the internet.

I have a local Thai mechanic in Sankamphaeng who I use and am very happy with him. In the early days I used the Yamaha Square shop in Chiang Mai
but not now prefer an owner / operator to someone on wages. I also have my Yamaha Faser serviced locally as well.

I hope this helps, I nearly brought a 1 year old Vulcan Custom with 9,000K's for 300,000 baht over 1 year ago, but then the Midnight star turned up at the same time.
I took 18 months to buy the right bike as there was no hurry for me but it's very hard in Thailand to get what you really want.

Cheers Ken F

May 6, 2013
Thanks Ken for your info,

I take my time for buying a motorcycle as you have to be careful "outthere"; this week saw a Vulcan being advertised from Phuket at two websites. On calling the seller after seeing the first ad, the 2012
Kawa had already had 2 owners and allegedly only 1800 km on the odometer. Could neither get an explanation why the bike so rapidly changed owners nor why it had that low mileage on the clock. To
my astonishment a couple of days later the same bike(I checked the phone-number)was advertised
at another website having 6180 km on the clock. Quite a ride for a few days.............
Will Google for the address of the Pattaya Sport Bikes Shop and too bad you did'nt bring that 1 year old Vulcan custom with you; we probably would have had a deal:cool:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
KenYam;290935 wrote: Hi Kaaskop

I did not import bike, I brought from a friend. He brought from Pattaya sport bikes shop who organised the import and registration.

Its a Yamaha don't need parts except oil and air filters, I brought when out of Thailand and have extras but can order via the internet.

I have a local Thai mechanic in Sankamphaeng who I use and am very happy with him. In the early days I used the Yamaha Square shop in Chiang Mai
but not now prefer an owner / operator to someone on wages. I also have my Yamaha Faser serviced locally as well.

I hope this helps, I nearly brought a 1 year old Vulcan Custom with 9,000K's for 300,000 baht over 1 year ago, but then the Midnight star turned up at the same time.
I took 18 months to buy the right bike as there was no hurry for me but it's very hard in Thailand to get what you really want.

Cheers Ken F
May I, as a non-native English speaker, insert a question here, silly as it may sound: I've come across this "brought" term several times on other forums and didn't dare to ask.
I guess brought means bought but wonder why some spell it with an "r". Is it a regional thing?

Kaaskop, you've been here only for a short time and you wrote you like relaxed cruising. Personally I've had big bikes (including a 1400 Intruder since we're talking about cruisers) but after some time I realized that here in Thailand traffic moves slowly and a smaller bike suffices, even has its advantages. A friend of mine who rides a Harley in the US has a Phantom 200 here and loves it. He goes on trips with his wife and wishes he could export the little cruiser to the US.

I'm not saying you should get a 200cc bike when you are looking for an 1800cc bike but think it over - maybe a smaller bike could do. A Shadow 400 stands out already.

Have you checked out the CB500X? Lots of cruiser fans change to lighter touring bikes and never look back. 45 horses for a bit over 200K baht, Honda service and quality, that's hard to beat!

May 6, 2013
@KZ25
Yes, my intention is indeed to make trips the "cruise"way through Thailand and neighboring countries.
As this would involve mountainous area's to me torque would be more important than speed, I would
estimate that a bike delivering about 50 HP without "revving" too much would be comfortable. As it happens it did a test-drive on the Honda CB500F, comparable engine-wise with the CB500X you mentioned. The price/value relation is almost unbeatable and of course Honda quality as you mentioned.
Could unfortunately not arrange a test-drive on the Kawasaki Vulcan, but it stems out also about 50 HP
like the CB500F but out of a 900 CC engine. So I presume the Vulcan would deliver a bit more torque
at lower revs, but from size, weight and appearance it of course quite different. (From the price-tag too:(). As I for the time being neither have the equipment nor the room for wrenching myself; the fact that the Vulcan comes with maintenance free driving belt as opposed to the O-chain from Honda is an advantage. But I must admit I still look back with much satisfaction test-driving the CB500F. Considering
I would make some long trips with mountainous area's too and don't drive that often in Urban area's,
would you go for a new Honda CB 500 X or a second-hand Vulcan?
(BTW this message was composed by a non-native English speaker as well:lol:)

Jul 15, 2012
KZ25;290957 wrote: May I, as a non-native English speaker, insert a question here, silly as it may sound: I've come across this "brought" term several times on other forums and didn't dare to ask.
I guess brought means bought but wonder why some spell it with an "r". Is it a regional thing?

Kaaskop, you've been here only for a short time and you wrote you like relaxed cruising. Personally I've had big bikes (including a 1400 Intruder since we're talking about cruisers) but after some time I realized that here in Thailand traffic moves slowly and a smaller bike suffices, even has its advantages. A friend of mine who rides a Harley in the US has a Phantom 200 here and loves it. He goes on trips with his wife and wishes he could export the little cruiser to the US.

I'm not saying you should get a 200cc bike when you are looking for an 1800cc bike but think it over - maybe a smaller bike could do. A Shadow 400 stands out already.

Have you checked out the CB500X? Lots of cruiser fans change to lighter touring bikes and never look back. 45 horses for a bit over 200K baht, Honda service and quality, that's hard to beat!

No brought means "to take with you"

Bought means "purchased"

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
yankee99;290979 wrote: No brought means "to take with you"

Bought means "purchased"
I have heard a few friends, Aussie and NZ, pronouncing 'bought' as 'brought'. It can be very confusing. Yes, in 'American' language; bought means purchased.:crazy:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I know that 'brought' is the past tense of 'bring' but this doesn't apply here. As Ken wrote: "I did not import, I brought from a friend." - It's an Ozzie thing, then?

To Kaaskopp: Personally I think cruisers are poor for long distances. I don't like the upright seating position, every bump goes up your spine while you don't have much control over the bike because the handlebar is too high and your feet are too far forward. It may look good but this sofa-like posture did not appeal to me.
If you are looking for a practical bike with a bit of storage for long distances, an engine that has 50hp and lots of torque, and you seem to have the cash, the NC700X may be for you.
Have you checked it out already?

May 6, 2013
@KZ25 maybe because my native language is not English, I created a misunderstanding. What you
describe as a bike with high handlebars and feet too far forwarded, I would describe more like a chopper.(Especially combined with you call it polite-fully the sofa-like posture, with due respect some might it
call in association with a certain animal). To my humble understanding a cruiser is like a Vulcan, in fact
when sitting on both types "dry" in the showroom, I noticed a difference regarding positions from handlebars and footrests between the classic and the custom. So when I mentioned I favor a cruiser,
I mean in fact a bike that can be ridden long distances, delivers quite a bit of torque at low revs and
with comfortable seating posture. Google d the NC700X and that 670 CC engine would be a good compromise, also like the styling of the bike; only saw it on pics though. Guess I have to opt out
of only looking for shaft- or belt driven bikes(hence the lower maintenance)and including good old
chain driven bikes as well.
Will visit Honda Big Wing in BKK to take a closer look at the NC700X, thx for your hint