Managing saved tracks on 60csx

bill

Mar 29, 2004
I'm after some tips on the best way to manage tracks on the Garmin 60csx

As I understand it, the gpx tracks on the sd card are not visible on the device
The 60csx allows up to 20 saved tracks that are visible on the device.

I now have more than 20 saved tracks and want to add more.
Presumably this means I have to delete some to make room for others, with the deleted ones stored on my PC for future access.

That's OK, but sending a track from my PC to the gps, then saving it on the gps seems quite tedious, unless I am doing something wrong.

When I save the transferred track on my gps, it also saves a straight line track to my current location. This means I have to edit the track when I save it on the gps, ie, select a begin and end point.
Is there a better way to do this ?

Oct 12, 2005
Just a beta point for you Bill as I'm no expert.

When saving tracks on my 60CSX I do not get the straight line back to the current location you talk about. I simply edit the tracks to as close to 500 points without going over in Mapsource, then transfer to the device the track, and it saves it on the GPS without the straight line problem you are encountering.

Like you I'm all ears to a solution in overcoming the 20 saved tracks limit.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
The 60 CSX and the 76 CSX have a limit of 20 saved tracks each with a maximum of 500 points. Saved tracks lose their 'time stamp" as well as the elevation so they are just a simplified recollection of the track you have been riding.

The only way to have more saved tracks is to save them to the PC and swop them when needed.

Another way of getting more tracks into the saved tracks also involves the use of the PC/laptop and is somewhat tedious as you will have to join the various active tracks (as .gpx files) saved on the SD card and then reducing them to the limit of 500 points.

I am using OziExplorer for this (see www.oziexplorer.com) as this program gives you quite a bit of control over how it will filter the track to 500 points. In addition, unlike with Mapsource, the filtered tracks keeps all its attributes (time, elevation, etc.).

The picture below shows a track from Cambodia which originally had over 24000 track points and was reduced to 500 points (in green) but still follows the 24000 point track (in red) nicely.

Comparison24207with500points.jpg

Oct 12, 2005
Auke - Can two separate tracks (not joined together) be saved as one"saved track" for the purpose of cramming more saved tracks into the GPS? I tried this in Mapsource but could not do it. Would Ozi Explorer allow this?

Also I'm back from the Cambo/Laos ride and free whenever you'd like to gather the tracks. Just let me know when.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Hope your shoulder is OK after the crash at Paam. Yes, can show you how to combine tracks in OziExplorer. Should be around for the next week or so. Just call/text me to set up time/place.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
BnT or Auke
I still must be doing something wrong when I send a track from my pc to gps.

Here's what I do
Bring up the track in mapsource.
Select send to device
On device, select save
Select yes for save entire track

Track is saved but has two straights lines joining the beginning and end of the track to my current location.

I have been preventing this by selecting "no" to save entire track, then selecting a beginning and end on the device, which is tedious.

Any clues to what I am doing wrong ?

Oct 12, 2005
Bill - Try avoiding saving the track once you send it to the device. When you send it from the PC to the GPS it is already saved for you in your tracks section of your GPS.

1.Bring up the track in mapsource.
2. Select send to device
3.On device, select save
4. Select yes for save entire track

In other words only do steps 1 and 2. This will hopefully solve your issue.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
You can send a track from Mapsource to the GPS and the GPS automatically puts it in the Saved tracks as is (as one of the 20 saved tracks) there are no lines linking to the present location and there is no need to Save the track.

Step 3 is only used when you want to save the Active track (as a saved track of 500 points) and being the Active track, it will have a line to your present position. You can select part of the active track to be saved instead of the whole track. Not sure if it will then have a link/line to your present location.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Thanks for the tips.

The problem was I had track log turned on when transferring the tracks.

That function would include my current position in the track, thus drawing a line to it.
With track log off, I can also save the track without the lines to my current position problem.

Will checkout oziexplorer