Moto Paradise – Northern Thailand – Overnight Road Bike Trip - Chiang Mai, Pai And Lod Cave

Nov 25, 2013
First ride on the Multistrada

We left Hand Dong Saturday around 2pm. First stop, Dart Motors for a quick oil change. It was nearly the same price to buy the oil, filter, and change myself, as it was to have Dart Ducati. Kevin the owner greeted us and I instantly hit it off with the fellow Californian. Great guy, he took the time to talk about my new to me bike and offer his knowledge of the northern Thailand tarmac twisty's. He did not care for the 1095 to Pai and tried to talk me out of the route. I know the traffic and crazy van drivers can be a pain. Driving in Los Angeles traffic for years, it's not too much of an issue for me. Besides, we go to Pai for the white pizza and passion fruit mojitos

1-jpg.jpg

Stopped to check over the bike to see that everything was in order. The Ducati has power for days and incredible torque. Cannot wait to take it out without out a passenger and luggage
smile.png

2-jpg.jpg

Pulled into Pai around 6pm. Great ride, very light traffic and the road was in good shape. The bike is a beast...
smile.png

First time I've seen these planes

4-jpg.jpg

Did the usual walking street stroll followed with pizza and beers. Then over to the Mojito joint. Stayed at the Yoma Resort great hotel with a nice pool

5-jpg.jpg

Great views from our patio as well

5a-jpg.jpg

All packed up and ready to roll. Decided to go check out the Lod Cave.

7-jpg.jpg

8-jpg.jpg

As usual, I cannot resist exploring dirt roads, found a turn off and really wanted to see where it led.

9-jpg.jpg

10-jpg.jpg

Went to check and see if it was passable for us...

12-jpg.jpg

The little woman warning me not to try it...

13-jpg.jpg

Good thing I listened for once because the Big Red girl was just digging holes when I turned her around.

14a-jpg.jpg

15-jpg.jpg

Back on the Tarmac wondering where that water crossing would have taken us.

16-jpg.jpg

To be continued

Reactions: GTR-Admin
Nov 25, 2013
Picture taken as we crested the mountains NW of Pai on the 1095.

18a-jpg.jpg

Dropping down into Mae Hong Son province.

19a-jpg.jpg

Bad day for this guy... Look like it happened maybe a day earlier. The vehicle was gone when we back tracked later that day.

20-jpg.jpg

This was a turn off a few km's in on the way into the Lod cave. Looks easy enough, but what you cannot see is a big dip halfway up. Discovered the big red fat girl bottoms out quite easily. Definitely not my KTM adventure...

20a-jpg.jpg

Cool trail led us back into this beautiful spot. Wanted to go further but it was a large rock garden and did not want to risk damaging the bike, at least on the first trip
smile.png

49-jpg.jpg

Wife not sure if we were going any future

51-jpg.jpg

52-jpg.jpg

Decided to piss on it and turn around. Next stop Lod Cave

53-jpg.jpg

To be continued...

Reactions: Oddvar
Nov 25, 2013
So we arrived to the Lod cave park about 10am. Must have only been 4 or 5 guides out on tours. Obviously I travel prepared
smile.png

54-jpg.jpg

Following our guide into the park. She was damn near jogging.

55-jpg.jpg

56-jpg.jpg

Hearty tree growing straight out of a rock.

56a-jpg.jpg

Slow Sunday I guess. Not a worry in the world for these guys
smile.png

57-jpg.jpg

58-jpg.jpg

Temple just before the cave entrance.

59-jpg.jpg

Our guide lighting her lantern

59a-jpg.jpg

Now I know what these strings are for... if the lantern goes out you just follow the string back out...
smile.png

60-jpg.jpg

To be continued...

Reactions: GTR-Admin
Nov 25, 2013
The Lod Cave NP very well kept park, did not see any trash on the ground anywhere.

61-jpg.jpg

62-jpg.jpg

63-jpg.jpg

Security Guard post

64-jpg.jpg

Right at the mouth of the cave.

65-jpg.jpg

Very large well-fed carp

67-jpg.jpg

Couple monster catfish amongst the carp. Seen a couple catfish that were well over a meter long... If you look closely in the picture, you can see the head of large catfish.

68-jpg.jpg

69-jpg.jpg

Not sure but I think these birds are swallows.

70-jpg.jpg

Our tour guide running away again. Funny we just stood there to see how far she would go before looking back. She was nearly out of site before looking back and realizing we were not going to be rushed. After that she slow down and gave us a great tour

72-jpg.jpg

To be continued...

Nov 25, 2013
Moto Mama and I are not usually interested in caves. Slippery bat crap floors and darkness are not high on our to do list. Lod Cave is however clean and didn’t smell at all.

72-jpg.jpg

Headed up to a large cavern shelf as we first entered the cave.

72a-jpg.jpg

72b-jpg.jpg

The shelf offered the most interest formation

73-jpg.jpg

74-jpg.jpg

75-jpg.jpg

The bamboo boat tour took us roughly 300 m to the backside of the cave. Completely dark for most of the voyage.

76-jpg.jpg

Nice breeze coming in and loads of swallows flying in and out.

77-jpg.jpg

77b-jpg.jpg

Nov 25, 2013
Good picture of the swallows

78-jpg.63072

The bamboo barge captain maneuvering his boat for the return trip back the other direction

78a-jpg.jpg

79-jpg.jpg

80-jpg.jpg

Looked like their was some hiking trails on the back side of the cave

81-jpg.jpg

The size and color of the stalactites were very impressive on this side of the cave. Especially after climbing up wooden stairs to a ledge. You could look down approximately 20m to the water.

84-jpg.jpg

Very large carp

85-jpg.jpg

86-jpg.jpg

Sketchy dam they built at the end of the cave. Could turn into a rapids ride. In the right upper corner are the stairs I mentioned previously

87-jpg.jpg

The little woman feeding the fish.

88-jpg.jpg

Back on board on our way out

90-jpg.jpg

91-jpg.jpg

Nov 25, 2013
Picture taken as we exited the cave. The cave entrance has a nice cool breeze these guys were enjoying. Looks relaxing.

92-jpg.jpg

93-jpg.jpg

Looking to see if the water was deep enough to jump in

93a-jpg.jpg

Tried to talk the little woman into taking a swim but she did not agree with me her panties and bra are the same as a bikini...
smile.png

93b-jpg.jpg

94-jpg.jpg

95-jpg.jpg

Their were several of these plastic bats hanging in the park. My wife thought they were real at first
smile.png

96-jpg.jpg

Time to haul ass back to Chiang Mai... High light of the trip next...

Nov 25, 2013
We road back to Pai fueled up at the PTT. Headed out on the 1095 and turned west on the 1265. The 1265 did not disappoint it was in perfect condition. So was the 1349 and 1269. Next time we ride to Pai on the road bike I will take this route both directions. The weather was absolutely perfect.

97-jpg.jpg

Taken up stream from the hot springs.

98-jpg.jpg

100-jpg.jpg

101-jpg.jpg

102-jpg.jpg

104-jpg.jpg

105-jpg.jpg

So the high light of the trip was this little guy. Have a great video but can not get it to load. Some kids get to have all the fun...
smile.png

106-png.png

107-png.png

108-png.png

109-jpg.jpg

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
This is a great trip report - many thanks.

You really lucked out with the weather too by the looks of it.

That bike looks like you've got the perfect machine for your rides too.

Some of the stuff you saw & took photos of reminds me that I need to go back on the MHS loop yet again! It's hard to ever get tired of riding here - the roads, scenery & infrastructure is so good, and it is always improving.

The annual GTR MHS Memorial ride will be on the 1st weekend of November this year and you are welcome to come and join in.

Reactions: Endojim