Motorbiking Ethiopia's Omo Valley - 10 Days

bvt617

Apr 1, 2008
Hi all,

I recently rode from Ethiopia's bustling capital, Addis Ababa, southward into the Omo Valley, the home of many indigenous tribes with their own unique cultures. This was my first trip to Ethiopia and I didn't have a lot of time, as many of us don't, so in order to best undertake the journey south over a 10 day period, I needed to employ the services of African Riding Adventures based in the capital Addis Ababa, namely Flavio Bonaiuti as an experienced guide and his mate, Parko, as driver of a support vehicle for fuel.

For generations the tribes of the Omo region were shielded from the outside world by mountains, large savanna grasslands and by Ethiopia's unique status as the only African nation never to be colonised by Europeans. To this day, it remains a largely neglected region by the Ethiopian government, except now they have recently poured a heap of money into a nearby large hydro-electric dam which will impact the lower reaches of the Omo River and Lake Turkana and the tribes that have occupied this area for generations.

Anyway, here are just a few photos of the trip and a link to where you can view my amateur attempt at a documentary on Youtube:

DSCN8995axx.jpg

DSCN9002xx.jpg

PB220486xx.jpg

PB200388xx.jpg

PB240570xxx.jpg

Cheers,

Kevin (Sydney, AUS)