Motorcycle Driving rules in the Philippines and Indonesia for foreigners who rent a motorbike

arthskov

Mar 30, 2022
1: You can use your international driving license for 90 days in Asian countries
2; In the Philippines, you can use your English-translated driving license, But when you are going to Vietnam or Indonesia you should translate your driving license into the local language.

Rent motorcycle in the Philippines driving rules

You can use for 90 days your local driving license to rent a motorcycle in the Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Becare full do not use the car driving license to rent a motorcycle in Asia. You must use a motorcycle driving license not a car in order to rent a motorcycle. You can read more about driving licenses in Indonesia here on the official website. (read here)

Ecuador motorcycle rental and tours.jpeg

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I have rented motorbikes in several countries in SE-Asia and I have never had to show any kind of license. Passport on the other hand….

arthskov

Mar 30, 2022
I have rented motorbikes in several countries in SE-Asia and I have never had to show any kind of license. Passport on the other hand….
This is the mistake most people make. By mistake you had an accident then all the problems come back. Do not make this mistake

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
This is the mistake most people make. By mistake you had an accident then all the problems come back. Do not make this mistake
Of course I have always had the correct licences, insurances etc etc when I rented motorbikes in SE-Asia. Your point seems to be that one need to have them just to be able to rent a bike at a rental shop - which is in most cases not neccesary at all from my experiences at least.

Now can you tell which countries in SE-Asia recognices the International Driving Permit of the 1968 convention, and which countries demand the 1949 convention? Or which countries do reckognise both of them?

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
You can use your international driving license for 90 days in Asian countries

That's funny because the is no such thing as an "International Driving License"

There are national licenses that may be recognized in foreign counties and there is an "International Driving Permit" issued in the same country as your national license which translates your license into many foreign languages.