Motorcycle Roadcraft

May 11, 2015
When I saw the forum title I thought I would find lots of entries to Roadcraft.
As I did not I thought I had best make one.

That is as I have taught Motorcycle Roadcraft for over 20 years. I learned Roadcraft firstly from my father. A British Rocker from the 60's and also an Ambulance Driver. I then went on to learn it more as a Motorcycle Instructor.

In the UK Roadcraft refers to the Police Riders Handbook. Well technically the Motorcycle Version does. There is also a version for cars.

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft

This is the standard used for all advanced motorcycle training in the UK. Well currently at least.
I will not say it is being allowed to sit back on it's laurels. It is currently being challenged by new ideas. Have a look at http://nosurprise.org.uk/

To get an idea as to what roadcraft is about have a look at the Max Rider Videos for a video-bite size introduction.
http://www.maxrider.co.uk/riding

If anyone wants to talk about Roadcraft theory or defensive riding then I am happy to chat.

Just ask.

Reactions: DavidFL
Sep 4, 2007
Welcome Carol. You will find a new chapter is needed in Roadcraft for Thailand due to the very laid back attitude, lack of formal training, and lack of enforcement of existing rules and laws. Defensive riding is absolutely needed, but reading the intentions of the local road users takes a bit of time. One positive aspect is that generally there is much less aggression on the roads, but this will probably get worse with time. I am sure your thoughts will be very welcome once you get over here, although Koh Samui is hardly a typical riding environment.

May 11, 2015
Thank you John.

The reason I have suggest I start in Koh Samui is only through the fact that I have discussed my ideas with a friend there and he has been assisting and advising me to keep me on the right track. He has been a monk and understands the problems. I know the issues with Thailand are a hard fix. But I was planning to focus my attentions at trying to get the tourist accident rate down. I have discussed working with Thai's and advanced theory with Thais. But they have been interested Bikers trying to stay alive on the roads.

We have some ideas and a loose business plan. If I could drop everything and go I would currently be improving my Thai while teaching English. By invite of my friend. I think that shows his confidence in my ideas. However with family, Two Motorcycles, a flat, Car, a cat and a Barn Owl. Just dropping everything is a bit of an issue. Working on that though. Stuck with improving my Thai via linguaphone.

It's interesting that you mention a more relaxed approach in Thailand. There has been great discussion in the advanced rider forums on Linkedin regarding Roadcraft and how it's rigid systems may be out of date. I have been one of many advanced Instructors to have started to get defensive. Only to have it pointed out that it is not Roadcraft that we are teaching. It is applying our skills and experience to the basic teaching advice. Basically it is not Roadcraft that makes a good rider but the way the advice is interpreted and instructed.

I have applied it to my time riding in Thailand. For me it's very interesting as it is almost starting again. The similarities between Thailand now and the history of UK road safety are very similar. I was one of the first Instructors in the UK working for Star Rider. I have watched roadcraft develop from the 1970's till the latest edition. Also the way Road Safety has changed. I was a member of MAG which campaigned against the UK helmet law in the 1970's as well. Oh those were the days!

Latest research in the UK is pointing the English finger at Pedestrians as it's them not looking that causes the majority of accidents on UK roads. But how do you get people to look if they believe they are protected by spirits? But many of the Thai Bikers who I have talked to seem to have started getting the message that they need to do more to keep themselves safe. Just the rest of the Thai population now.