Motorcycle Tax Increases!!!

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
KZ25;286054 wrote: I read on other threads that ABS is (obviously) available for 15,000 THB more.

No mention of CBS, fortunately.

As far as I remember the X has an inch more front suspension travel, a slightly different steering head angle to make it more suitable for touring and a bigger fuel tank, ABS or not.
you can see a large ' ABS ' written on the front mudguard just above the brake Disk on lots of Photo's of the Thai CB500X in Thai showrooms. at least that's what it looks like and realistically what else would it say ? .... I'd still be surprised if the Salesman had a Clue what it was or what its for, but I'm sure its there.

I've had someone put an order in for me. No I've not see the bike in the flesh as I'm out of country. The deposit was 3k baht. If there's no ABS then I've lost my deposit.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
^ Why did you quote me?

I wrote that ABS is obviously available, not only because of the sticker but you can clearly see parts of it in NickyBKKs photo.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Lakota;286065 wrote: you can see a large ' ABS ' written on the front mudguard just above the brake Disk on lots of Photo's of the Thai CB500X in Thai showrooms. at least that's what it looks like and realistically what else would it say ? .... I'd still be surprised if the Salesman had a Clue what it was or what its for, but I'm sure its there.

I've had someone put an order in for me. No I've not see the bike in the flesh as I'm out of country. The deposit was 3k baht. If there's no ABS then I've lost my deposit.
You could probably wait for the ABS model. I am sure they will come sooner or later. Probably later. The one CB500x they had at the CM dealer was definitely not ABS. What KZ25 says sounds about right. On the U.S. websites they were saying ABS would be $500 more. That's pretty close to the 15,000 baht KZ25 mentions.

Sep 4, 2007
SilverhawkUSA;286081 wrote: You could probably wait for the ABS model. I am sure they will come sooner or later. Probably later. The one CB500x they had at the CM dealer was definitely not ABS. What KZ25 says sounds about right. On the U.S. websites they were saying ABS would be $500 more. That's pretty close to the 15,000 baht KZ25 mentions.
Hopefully it will be good news to you, but the X at the CM opening DID have ABS. As did the other 2 500cc new models. Hopefully the picture below will convince you of that. It had the ABS logo and the sensor and sensor ring. Of course it is possible that these models were just for show and what is delivered next year could be different. I have emailed the full resolution picture to you, which shows the logo clearer

286095=14077-WP_20121222_016.jpg

Attached files
286095=14076-honda_cb500_2013_pz.jpg

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
John,

I certainly stand corrected. I guess I was relying more on what the sales staff were saying on the day after as the bike was gone already. Like I said in another post "a lot of misinformation has been posted", apparently including my own. :lolno: . If the bikes delivered have ABS available that would be a bonus. I'm pleased you have the photos. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2007
Often times at motor shows the manufacturers present models that aren't actually for sale in Thailand.

Sep 4, 2007
Understand what you are saying Tony, but this was a shop opening and they were taking orders for these bikes. They only had one of the X model, and 1 of the F model, but they had in the showroom 6 of the R, and these all had ABS.

Dec 27, 2007
johngooding;286106 wrote: Understand what you are saying Tony, but this was a shop opening and they were taking orders for these bikes. They only had one of the X model, and 1 of the F model, but they had in the showroom 6 of the R, and these all had ABS.
Then it seems it is safe to assume that Thailand will get the ABS model. Not the first time an APE Honda salesman have given out incorrect info. At the big motorshows they are comically clueless. As someone pointed out earlier, most of these staff go to work on scooters and know very little about the products they are selling. Hopefully the Big Wing staff in CM will be better trained and informed. The service and sales staff at the Bangkok Big Wing definitely seem more switched on than the APE Honda staff I've dealt with at motorshows.

Nov 7, 2007
TonyBKK;286109 wrote: Then it seems it is safe to assume that Thailand will get the ABS model. Not the first time an APE Honda salesman have given out incorrect info. At the big motorshows they are comically clueless. As someone pointed out earlier, most of these staff go to work on scooters and know very little about the products they are selling. Hopefully the Big Wing staff in CM will be better trained and informed. The service and sales staff at the Bangkok Big Wing definitely seem more switched on than the APE Honda staff I've dealt with at motorshows.
Exactly. The job requirement for these sales people is to smile and to be able to read the sticker price. They might be selling washing machines or TVs next week. Trying to talk to them about bikes is pointless. Certainly true for anybody working at the big Honda dealer in CM, but also for most of the sales staff at Kawasaki CM. Of course this is Thailand so they won't say "I don't know". They'll say "yes". They aim to please. Those living here long enough know how to interpret that.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Well hopefully the Bike will have ABS but if it hasn't I'm sure the Delivery Guys and Salesmen will wonder what the Fuss is about when I throw a Wobbler . TIT :)

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Don't you have any paperwork that states what you made a downpayment for? :think:

To get back to the tax increase topic, I'm glad that the CRF250L went up only 3,000 THB. Around here it's 138,000 THB now, including all paperwork.

But I don't know if it was a price adjustment or the tax hike. Whatever!

Jan 2, 2013
I put a deposit on a new Kawasaki on the 8th of this month. I went to pay the rest of it and pick up the bike today, and they hit me with the tax. I have refused to pay it. They said Kawasaki are considering paying the tax for customers who ordered before the tax hike, and will let me know. If they don't I'm cancelling. -I think they're just jerking me around. Wouldn't Kawasaki already have made a decision on this matter? I'll find out soon.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
A.Russell;286215 wrote: I put a deposit on a new Kawasaki on the 8th of this month.
That must have been last month, December - quite some time before the tax increase was decided on. To charge you more is a rip-off, and not a smart move at all.

I think it's right to cancel the order if they insist. On the other hand you're looking forward to your new bike, you're committed, you made a downpayment!

What kind of bike did you order?

Jul 15, 2012
A.Russell;286215 wrote: I put a deposit on a new Kawasaki on the 8th of this month. I went to pay the rest of it and pick up the bike today, and they hit me with the tax. I have refused to pay it. They said Kawasaki are considering paying the tax for customers who ordered before the tax hike, and will let me know. If they don't I'm cancelling. -I think they're just jerking me around. Wouldn't Kawasaki already have made a decision on this matter? I'll find out soon.
what bike?
original price and new price please?

Dec 27, 2007
A.Russell;286215 wrote: I put a deposit on a new Kawasaki on the 8th of this month. I went to pay the rest of it and pick up the bike today, and they hit me with the tax. I have refused to pay it. They said Kawasaki are considering paying the tax for customers who ordered before the tax hike, and will let me know. If they don't I'm cancelling. -I think they're just jerking me around. Wouldn't Kawasaki already have made a decision on this matter? I'll find out soon.

Welcome to GT-Rider!

Which dealer was this? I imagine the head office has an official policy on the tax increase which the dealers must follow.

Keep us posted :)

Mar 30, 2010
The Tax applies from the 19th December if I remember correctly..
The day the cabinet made the regulation..

If you ordered before you should be OK... It isn't retrospective.
This is the same back home and at budget time.. stops people hoarding or rushing out to fill the car with petrol or buying 1,000 packs of smokes and so on.

This was discussed in previous posts on this topic..

But to be fair.. if you ordered on the 8th and they didn't tell you about the tax or the intention to charge the tax or if it was undecided .. Bad PR indeed...

Then again TIT... Who knows..

Nov 17, 2011
Hi Guys,
these days I have spoken with both executives from ducati and harley. You should have seen their faces as they were stressed, angry and depressed. Not only an increase of 20% which is very high to manage, but arrived without warning as a true act of political bullying.

Try to imagine the difficulty with they now must work for manage all the orders and in some case with particular models. Or facing the bad asking to a customer an increase in the contract already signed because someone decided to mess-up without caring with somebody else market strategies. This is so ridiculous!!! :thumbdown:

You want to increase taxes? Fine, but do it with propers way and planing with local operators that not only sell bike "to the riches" :wtf:, but also employee peoples and provide income with his company and as every company, should be respect in primis from the people who represent government agency.

This, in parallels with the 100,000 "free-money" for the first car, reveal the nonsense operating from people in charge.

Dec 27, 2007
Renzobkk;286414 wrote: Hi Guys,
these days I have spoken with both executives from ducati and harley. You should have seen their faces as they were stressed, angry and depressed. Not only an increase of 20% which is very high to manage, but arrived without warning as a true act of political bullying.

Try to imagine the difficulty with they now must work for manage all the orders and in some case with particular models. Or facing the bad asking to a customer an increase in the contract already signed because someone decided to mess-up without caring with somebody else market strategies. This is so ridiculous!!! :thumbdown:

You want to increase taxes? Fine, but do it with propers way and planing with local operators that not only sell bike "to the riches" :wtf:, but also employee peoples and provide income with his company and as every company, should be respect in primis from the people who represent government agency.

This, in parallels with the 100,000 "free-money" for the first car, reveal the nonsense operating from people in charge.
Yes, talk about knee-jerk politics. Just as Thailand is becoming a hub for motorcycle manufacturing these short sighted politicians throw out mandates without any warning or discussion with the industry.

I was speaking to some friends in the marketing department at Kawasaki last week and they say that there is still no detail whatsoever from the Thai government about how these new taxes are to be calculated and applied.

It's one thing to announce a new tax. It's another thing entirely to make the announcement into a law.

Does the new tax apply to all motorcycles regardless of origin? Or only to imports? The manufacturers don't know because the government doesn't know!

It puts the manufacturers in a very difficult position. Continue to sell their products at the old price and take a big loss once the new taxes are applied, or try to guess what the new taxes will be and raise prices accordingly? Not a decision I'd want to have to make! For now it sounds like Kawasaki is honoring current prices on current stock. For future orders they simply do not know what the prices will be.

TiT, ain't it grand??? :crazy:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I talked to a couple of Honda dealers who were notified of new prices, the CRF250L went up 3K in Hat Yai, 4K in Songkhla from 135K; the '13 CBR150R is 84K.

They didn't know anything about taxes, said those are "Happy New Year" prices.

Maybe Honda raises prices across the board instead of waiting for a tax increase on bigger bikes.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;286416 wrote: ...try to guess what the new taxes will be and raise prices accordingly?
That's what you do when you want to be on the safe side. My guess is that's what Honda is doing.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
I did speak with Ian and Don about this just before Christmas, Bollocks, I will instead of buying two more new bikes, just stick the money in to my Beemer. I know 10% on top ain't a lot, but where is the value for the extra money spent????

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I saw a Print out from the Government issued to Dealers and it went something like this:

Up to 800 cc 5%
Up to 1200cc 10%
Up to 1500cc 15%
Everything Above 1500cc 20%

I saw this a few Days ago so I may be off a bit but the gift of it is the Bigger the Bike the More You Pay! (Specially Harleys!) So smaller Bikes won't be affected Much, a few thousand is all? If I can get a Print out I will post it up.

Mar 30, 2010
Ian Bungy;286565 wrote: I saw a Print out from the Government issued to Dealers and it went something like this:

Up to 800 cc 5%
Up to 1200cc 10%
Up to 1500cc 15%

I saw this a few Days ago so I may be off a bit but the gift of it is the Bigger the Bike the More You Pay! (Specially Harleys!) So smaller Bikes won't be affected Much, a few thousand is all? If I can get a Print out I will post it up.
Thanks Ian.. As expected.. No biggie..
Just don't go out for 3 to 5 nights before your next purchase and you would have saved the money..
Or stop the smokes if you smoke :)

Cheers
Brian

Jul 15, 2012
Ian Bungy;286565 wrote: I saw a Print out from the Government issued to Dealers and it went something like this:

Up to 800 cc 5%
Up to 1200cc 10%
Up to 1500cc 15%

The cbr1000 is now 820000. Which is less then 5% increase. I guess honda absorbed some of the tax.