Mount Everest Base Camp through 6 Chinese province.

Nov 15, 2007
bikesncats;297426 wrote: Hats off to you guys...a real great trip...an very well accomplished logistics too! Congrats...making me jelous LOL hopefully I can do something similar from here soon. Cheers
I'm sure you'll have a go someday ...

Nov 15, 2007
bikesncats;297453 wrote: Well...your itinerary inspired me to incorporate part of your section, including ME basecamp, into my trip from Surin to Switzerland later this summer. I was planning to go by Myanmar then through Bhutan but some of your sections seem very interesting and I'm sure I can organize to leave a month earlier and go by some extra few miles...now that I've seen your trip it would be a shame to leave some of those sections out. I guess it's just a matter of getting all the paperwork done on time...I might be picking your brain a bit on dealing with the Chinese Authorities if you don't mind. Again congrats on a great trip and a job well done. Ride safe. Alex.
Thank you Alex. Anytime you need infos, just give me a shout.

George HuaHin

Subscribed
Jul 25, 2011
Hua Hin
wow, what a phantastic trip!
so sorry that accidents disturbed this trip of life.

Could you please advise which software you use to create the movies?

Nov 15, 2007
pensionist;300843 wrote: wow, what a phantastic trip!
so sorry that accidents disturbed this trip of life.

Could you please advise which software you use to create the movies?
The accidents were unfortunate where some could be avoided while the rest were just plain unlucky.

Anyway the video was pieced together by another rider, he uses Power Director

George HuaHin

Subscribed
Jul 25, 2011
Hua Hin
yempaul;300846 wrote: The accidents were unfortunate where some could be avoided while the rest were just plain unlucky.

Anyway the video was pieced together by another rider, he uses Power Director
Thank you very much for the info and the videos :happy5:

Nov 7, 2007
Really awesome trip report. It's great to see your dedication to planning this seemingly impossible trip paid off in such a big way.

What an adventure! It's truly inspiring.

Nov 15, 2007
nikster;300856 wrote: Really awesome trip report. It's great to see your dedication to planning this seemingly impossible trip paid off in such a big way.

What an adventure! It's truly inspiring.
Everyone went home happy, well almost everyone.

Nov 7, 2007
Was talking to a friend about how I'm a little disappointed those BMW adventure bikes had so many technical problems (accidents don't count, obviously)

What's your opinion on this? It would be fun to see a list of technicals: Date/Bike/Incident - that would show which bikes did well and which should have done better.

Or is it just that there were mostly GS-s on that trip so if something failed, chances was it was a GS.

They look so tough with their RTW panniers and various add-ons; and they're great road bikes. But for adventure... is it really just marketing?

The scooters did well as one would expect, and if you'd brought a Honda instead of a Yamaha it wouldn't have broken down in the mud either...these things are indestructible ;)

Nov 15, 2007
No doubt BMW did well for their marketing strategies and I know a couple of die hards who swore by BMWs. The marketing team deserves a big payout and I am one of the many who succumbed.

But there is nowhere stating that BMWs is THE bike for adventure touring. The trip consists of mostly beemers, katooms, a multi strata and 2 scooters. It does prove that any bikes would do well. The scooter finished the trip but I am giving the credit to the rider. He has my utmost respect in terms of perseverance. There are a couple of stretch where they had to work harder but most times they were right there with us. Then again, it wasn't a race.

The GSes did well too. It served me well for that 42 days but I won't say it is THE bike for any long distance trip.

nikster;300863 wrote: Was talking to a friend about how I'm a little disappointed those BMW adventure bikes had so many technical problems (accidents don't count, obviously)

What's your opinion on this? It would be fun to see a list of technicals: Date/Bike/Incident - that would show which bikes did well and which should have done better.

Or is it just that there were mostly GS-s on that trip so if something failed, chances was it was a GS.

They look so tough with their RTW panniers and various add-ons; and they're great road bikes. But for adventure... is it really just marketing?

The scooters did well as one would expect, and if you'd brought a Honda instead of a Yamaha it wouldn't have broken down in the mud either...these things are indestructible ;)

Oct 6, 2013
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Hi Yempaul,

Awesome trip.!!! And thank you for sharing such a great moment and info.
The whole journey all by your own group? Did you guys engage any local tour guide or something like that? How you guys do your paper work while border crossing from Laos to China?
I'm thinking to visit Kunming, don't mind sharing your experience. TQ.

Nov 15, 2007
kchow24;300909 wrote: Hi Yempaul,

Awesome trip.!!! And thank you for sharing such a great moment and info.
The whole journey all by your own group? Did you guys engage any local tour guide or something like that? How you guys do your paper work while border crossing from Laos to China?
I'm thinking to visit Kunming, don't mind sharing your experience. TQ.
Hey kc

All paper works were settled by the fixer and we had him with us throughout the entire time in China. You can't just show up at the border and tell them you want to enter China with your vehicle. I have heard some isolated cases but as what I know, all foreign vehicles entering China requires a local guide.