My Own Custom.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
penetrator wrote: Aluminum rims are very cheap in Thailand but not sure if you can get 18", seen plenty of 17" around for about 500-800 baht a pair. I've got an old Honda Cub I bought for £50 that has badly rusted and pitted rims, thinking about bringing the wheels or hubs over in my luggage and getting them rebuilt.
I'd second that. In CNX there is a "wheel soi" which is down Chiang Moi Rd to where the small klong is and on the right - Sithiwong Rd on a map with a big travel agency on the corner. It's one way and you're not supposed to enter from Chiang Moi but T.I.T.

What I'd do is check out prices to get aluminium rims laced to your hubs with new spokes (pref stainless), then before buying, walk back up the road to "Preeda" (a.k.a. "The Chinaman") to check availability of half-decent sticky tyres as tyre availability will probably influence your choice of rim size. Once that is sorted, get out your birthday pressie angle grinder and buzz through the spokes to free up the hubs. Give them a clean up and take them to the wheel soi to get them laced up to new rims.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Jul 9, 2009
Pikey, cheers mate, I will hopefully get in there this week and get some decent wheels built up. The hubs are actually pretty good, though the rest of the wheels are pretty much shot.

Any thoughts on what some decent rubber would be? I have not looked around for tires yet though I do know that I want to somewhat keep the classic lines of the bike so I don't think I want to put slicks on there. I have a pair of Michelin M45s on my GB 400 which I actually kind of like. They are reasonably sticky and have somewhat of a classic look to them. I know they make the same tire for a smaller bike as well so something like that might just find its way onto the bike.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
lotuseater wrote:

Any thoughts on what some decent rubber would be?
Not sure but if you have any mates with CBR150s, they'd know as would the guy at Preeda and he speaks pretty decent English. I think that there are various grades of IRC tyres that would do the job.

BTW, saw this on the 1148 at Song Khwae last week - sweet eh!

IMG_0238.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey