My three month adventure

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by iamrick, Nov 27, 2006.

1. iamrick

iamrick New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been browsing the board for a couple of weeks now and thought I may as well ask you old hats for some advice.

I'm planning on leaving Australia (Gold Coast) for a three month rampage into the unknown. I'm young (22), full of enthusiam and looking for adventure. I plan to have AUD$12,00 (USD$9,321) by the time I leave... hoping that will be enough to secure me over the three months I plan on travelling.

Unless I'm told otherwise, I think my best bet is buy a motorbike in Thailand and ride on through Cambodia, Vietnam and possibly China depending on how I find it (read: money).

I'll be the first to tell you I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I've literally only got a year's experience on a suzuki DL650 and although I feel fairly confident, I don't know where to start organising this trip.

Where should I go? What bike should I buy? Is travelling alone going to be a major problem?

Any advice, no matter your experience is more than appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Rick.

2. Pikey

Pikey www.tbbtours.com

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rick,

Talk to Suzukiluke who is 23 and then do the EXACT OPPOSITE of whatever he recommends (kidding you Luke mate!)

Seriously, welcome to the board and I reckon your best bet is to fly from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, buy all the local riders loads of beer (approx 1,000 $AUD should cover that!) and suss it out "on the fly", regarding both suitable bikes and planned routes e.t.c. Cheap as chips to live & ride here but if your idea of "riding" extends to more than bikes, then it can get expensive - so I've been told! ;-)

BTW, bring some decent riding kit with you - not leathers but mesh/textile jacket, gloves and a reasonable helmet.

Cheers,

Pikey.

3. flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shit pikey ..a $1000,,wot,, thats for me,,,,how much for the other guys,,