Need Info On My First Ride In Thailand

Rajdeep Sarkar

Aug 28, 2018
Hi, I’m Raj from India. I’m a rider from India, covered almost the entire India and now want to do a ride in Thailand. I’m thinking of covering as much on road as possible. I saw this forum and was amazed with such info from so many experienced riders so thought it would be very helpful if I can ask my questions:
1. I wanted to know the routes from Bangkok to all over Thailand n back to Bangkok covering the entire Thailand. Which routes are good ones to take.
2. Doing Thai is good or can I go Laos and Cambodia?
3. I figured Laos is still easy but Cambodia I couldn’t find much info. Documentation and routes and border exit entry for Laos and Cambodia?
4. Renting bikes from Chiang Mai I’ve seen in this forum but I’m reaching Bangkok, is there any good rental bike shop in bkk?
5. Are there camping facilities in and around Thai or staying in hotel or homes are better?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for asking some stupid questions but just wanted to plan in advance. I’m planning this in oct first week.
Cheers
Raj

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Hi, I’m Raj from India. I’m a rider from India, covered almost the entire India and now want to do a ride in Thailand. I’m thinking of covering as much on road as possible. I saw this forum and was amazed with such info from so many experienced riders so thought it would be very helpful if I can ask my questions:
1. I wanted to know the routes from Bangkok to all over Thailand n back to Bangkok covering the entire Thailand. Which routes are good ones to take.
3. I figured Laos is still easy but Cambodia I couldn’t find much info. Documentation and routes and border exit entry for Laos and Cambodia?
4. Renting bikes from Chiang Mai I’ve seen in this forum but I’m reaching Bangkok, is there any good rental bike shop in bkk?
5. Are there camping facilities in and around Thai or staying in hotel or homes are better?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for asking some stupid questions but just wanted to plan in advance. I’m planning this in oct first week.
Cheers
Raj

Im sure David and the other experienced guys in here will chime in with lots of useful information. In the meantime I can tell my opinion.

1. There are no good motorbike routes in and out from Bangkok. The huge city is a beehive with 15-17 million inhabitants and the traffic is insane. Some major roads in and around Bangkok are also not allowed for motorbikes. So in my opinion - stay away from Bangkok on a motorbike. You can enjoy Bangkok otherwise of course but its not a good starting point for a biketrip.

Get yourself to Chiang Mai - thats the best starting point for biketrips in Thailand imo. There are also many rentals so your choice of bikes are great. There are many airlines that flies from BKK for a cheap fare. Plenty of train and buses are also available on that stretch if youre on a budget.

2. Yes Laos should be possible although you will have to pay a higher price for the bike as the rental shop need to provide you with the correct paperwork. And note that the only border that allows thai plated bikes into Laos for the moment seems to be the Chiang Khong/Huay Xai border in the Chiang Rai province. Exit elsewhere is possible but not entry. Also note that Laos doesnt let in bikes less than 250 cc for the moment. Thus you will need a 250 cc or bigger to be allowed in.

3. Cambodia should also be possible if you go through the right borders. The Chong Chom/O’Smach border in Thailands Surin province is from experience the most relaxed bordercrossing. Also the next border east of the above mentioned should be ok. Maybe also the Hat Lek/Ko Khong border in Trat province although they seem to have restrictions that they only allow the bike to be ridden in that specific province. Others will hopefully know more. Do not aim for the Aranyaprathet/Poi Pet border, thats a corrupted and very busy shithole!

4. I dont know - but then again DONT!

5. Yes its possible to camp some places in Thailand. Most often in National Parks where the fee to entry can be more than a cheap guesthouse room. I personally wouldnt have bothered with that. There are so many accomodation possibilities available around Thailand - also economical ones that I dont see the point. Also in October there will most certainly still be some days and nighs with rain - so camping might not be that practical.
Most places you can find a room for 250-300 baht a night if you search a little. In bigger cities there are hostels where you can get a bed even cheaper.

Good luck with your trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajdeep Sarkar

Rajdeep Sarkar

Aug 28, 2018
Im sure David and the other experienced guys in here will chime in with lots of useful information. In the meantime I can tell my opinion.

1. There are no good motorbike routes in and out from Bangkok. The huge city is a beehive with 15-17 million inhabitants and the traffic is insane. Some major roads in and around Bangkok are also not allowed for motorbikes. So in my opinion - stay away from Bangkok on a motorbike. You can enjoy Bangkok otherwise of course but its not a good starting point for a biketrip.

Get yourself to Chiang Mai - thats the best starting point for biketrips in Thailand imo. There are also many rentals so your choice of bikes are great. There are many airlines that flies from BKK for a cheap fare. Plenty of train and buses are also available on that stretch if youre on a budget.

2. Yes Laos should be possible although you will have to pay a higher price for the bike as the rental shop need to provide you with the correct paperwork. And note that the only border that allows thai plated bikes into Laos for the moment seems to be the Chiang Khong/Huay Xai border in the Chiang Rai province. Exit elsewhere is possible but not entry. Also note that Laos doesnt let in bikes less than 250 cc for the moment. Thus you will need a 250 cc or bigger to be allowed in.

3. Cambodia should also be possible if you go through the right borders. The Chong Chom/O’Smach border in Thailands Surin province is from experience the most relaxed bordercrossing. Also the next border east of the above mentioned should be ok. Maybe also the Hat Lek/Ko Khong border in Trat province although they seem to have restrictions that they only allow the bike to be ridden in that specific province. Others will hopefully know more. Do not aim for the Aranyaprathet/Poi Pet border, thats a corrupted and very busy shithole!

4. I dont know - but then again DONT!

5. Yes its possible to camp some places in Thailand. Most often in National Parks where the fee to entry can be more than a cheap guesthouse room. I personally wouldnt have bothered with that. There are so many accomodation possibilities available around Thailand - also economical ones that I dont see the point. Also in October there will most certainly still be some days and nighs with rain - so camping might not be that practical.
Most places you can find a room for 250-300 baht a night if you search a little. In bigger cities there are hostels where you can get a bed even cheaper.

Good luck with your trip!

Wow thanks for that quick but elaborated reply.
This looks quite helpful. Will surely take the bike from Chiang Mai. I’ve already spoken to Pop in Chiang Mai, after your recommendation and finding his name from other threads.

He’s asking me to take the crf250 outside the border and within Thai any bike is ok, my preference was a versys 650.

Now If someone can advise further on the best routes to take and best places to surely touch upon in Thai, then what would that be?
One I know is Mae hong son loop. What are the other beautiful places to see in Thai and the ones which has good roads too.

I have 2weeks but surely I’ll cover few thousand kms :)

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Wow thanks for that quick but elaborated reply.
This looks quite helpful. Will surely take the bike from Chiang Mai. I’ve already spoken to Pop in Chiang Mai, after your recommendation and finding his name from other threads.

He’s asking me to take the crf250 outside the border and within Thai any bike is ok, my preference was a versys 650.

Now If someone can advise further on the best routes to take and best places to surely touch upon in Thai, then what would that be?
One I know is Mae hong son loop. What are the other beautiful places to see in Thai and the ones which has good roads too.

I have 2weeks but surely I’ll cover few thousand kms :)

When it come to bike preferance we are all different. I own a Honda Crf250 in Thailand and I find it a great bike except for highways. It can still cruise at 90-95 kms/h and fuel consumption around 33 kms/l. And for Laos too I would think its a great bike. But theres nothing wrong with a Versus 650 if you want that. Its probably gonna cost the double of a Crf250 though.

The «best» routes are also quite subjective but the Mae Hong Son loop is a must I guess. Ride the southern part via Mae Sariang to MHS, the continue to Chiang Rai via Pai-Mae Taeng-Fang, maybe take a detour up through Doi Mae Salong and down to Chiang Rai. Then to Mae Sai-Golden Triangle-Chiang Khong-Phu Chi Fah-Phayao-Chiang Kam and R1148 to Tha Wang Pha (many consider that THE best bikeroad in Thailand) so maybe a detour to Huay Kon and Bo Kleua and down to Nan. From Nan you can continue to Loei province, Petchabun province and then return via Phitsanulok, Uttaradit or Sukhothai, Lampang and Chiang Mai.
If you stop and take in the sights along the way, take photos, talk to the locals, drink some coffee or tea - and ride 300-400 kms a day - it would keep you busy for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Rajdeep Sarkar

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

Cheers
Raj

An important question - how many days do you have?

Rajdeep Sarkar

Aug 28, 2018
Hey thanks for helping me out on the links n info. Great help, appreciate! :)
I have 2 weeks and i wanna ride them. I usually do around 6k kms in these times, depends if i keep riding or take breaks then maybe less.
Thailand should also be more or less similar. (I think, all I’ve done is india)

I’ve also heard central thai can have floods. Is that true?
Does that mean i shouldn’t do cambodi?
What is your opinion?

Thank you David and Dodraugen
Cheers
Raj

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
Hi Guys, may i tag onto this very helpful thread please for some route advice? I arrive in Chiang Mai on 14th December and flying out again on the 18th, im looking for the best recommended 3 day loop ride, heading out on saturday morning and getting back on monday evening? Looking to hire minimum 250cc bike and happy to ride for about 4 to 6 hours on each day, so i would be very grateful for suggestions on route, POIs such as waterfalls and hot springs and places to stay on the saturday and sunday evenings. Travelling alone. Many thanks Wayne ;-)