Need visa info for SE Asia

Nov 28, 2003
I am in Cambodia traveling with one friend on Canadian passports. We are looking at purchasing 2 Honda enduro 250's here and traveling into, hopefully, Thailnd, Malaysia, Singapore then back track through the north of Thailand. Ending back in Cambodia 3-4 months from now. I ahve a few questions and have been getting mixed answers form people.

1. We have 60 day visas for Thailand, can we temporarly import our bikes for the 60 days or do they only grant 30 day papers? If we have 60 day visas and 30 day bike import papers will we get screwed at the border if we try to stay our 60 days?

2. We heard its tough to get bikes into Malaysia, do they have temporary import papers similar to Thailand? What are the requirements?

3. Any additional fees for temporary import papers? Is a carnet required anywhere in these 3 countrys?

4. Can we jump across the Thai / Malaysian border and back just to renew our Thai visas with the bikes? Any limit on number of times?

Thank You Very Much

Cameron

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Cameron
Take a look at
https://www.gt-rider.com/bikes.html#BRINGINGYOUROWNBIKE
and you will see that.....
Thailand has its own vehicle temporary papers that are issued on arrival at the border. Subject to local insurance and vehicle standards you are normally granted import for the length of your visa (one, two or three month), up to a maximum of 6 months. Then you must leave the country with the bike, and you can return again & start the whole process over again. I know of some riders and their bikes that have been in the country for a few years like this. Note too that the maximum fine payable for overstaying your temporary bike import permit is only 2,000 Thai baht.

But, if you are operating on overstay, and have an accident or an unfriendly encounter with the police, then it could get seriously complicated and costly even.

I don’t know of any additional fees for temporary import papers, unless some official is trying to touch you up, and you have to negotiate that at the time. Always be happy to pay, and ask for a receipt, but if no receipt call their bluff & no pay.

I don’t know about it being tough to get into Malaysia - none of my mates have ever had any trouble if the bike has a plate & you can prove ownership.

Should be no trouble to cross the border to renew visas, but it sometimes might be easier to walk & leave the bike behind to save paperwork.

If you've been doing some riding in Cambodia why not make a contribution to the GT Rider board at Link removed
with a road & trip report to share some info.

I hope this is a help.

Oct 10, 2003
"I don’t know about it being tough to get into Malaysia - none of my mates have ever had any trouble if the bike has a plate & you can prove ownership.

Should be no trouble to cross the border to renew visas, but it sometimes might be easier to walk & leave the bike behind to save paperwork."

My experience, like David's, is that crossing into Malayasia is pretty easy, generally. I used to live in Songkla, and crossed regularly....Many friends still cross regularly, and everything seems pretty much the same as always, except for periodic 'crackdowns' (always with an end date for the crackdown...usually 1-2 weeks, in my experience)

If you are just crossing for another stamp, David's advice is best. I would suggest Sadao as the best crossing, as inside 'no man's land' there is a nifty duty-free shop, where you can get your marmite, or some other rodent of your choice :)

It's also very convenient to park your bike at duty-free. As you are leaving Thailand, just tell them you're going to the duty-free, and they won't give you a glance (in fact, they may simply ignore you, so make sure you get your stamp out...)...You still may have to fill out a vehicle form when you come back, but sometimes 'I just went to duty-free' works to get you out of the paperwork. Sometimes...No big hassle, in any case, as long as you have your paperwork together...And your bike isn't a rental...

SiFuh

Jan 14, 2004
Does anyone know if YOU or the place you work is responsible for obtaining the work permit?

SiFuh

Jan 14, 2004
Thanks Silverhawk, (Isn't Silverhawks a cartoon series?)

I downloaded all the information on that site now. I have contacted my lawyer friend in Yasothon to get some help from him and have a large number of Thai and English law papers on Visas, work permits and so forth.

See what I will find.

cheers

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Glad it helped. Actually, Silver Hawk was the name of my boat and charter business in the U.S. Haven't heard of the cartoon series, but my life sometimes feels like a cartoon so I guess it still fits. Good Luck.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?