New GPS Track Sharing Forum launched

Mar 30, 2010
Hi All,

There is a new GPS track sharing forum now available on GT-Rider

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/forumdisplay.php/117-GPS-Tracks

If you have any tracks you recorded and think are a must see or would help others in planning a trip and would like to share.. Please contribute to the forum.
There is a basic format for posting.. where possible, please try and complete as much information as possible and add any additional detail you believe is relevant

We hope to build up a nice list of tracks for Thailand and Laos, both on-road and off-road.

Any questions or assistance please PM myself or Moto-Rex and we will do our best to assist, otherwise please ask in the forum and may be someone out there will have the answer :)

Please keep in mind Rex and I are new to this and learning the way as we go forward.

Cheers
Brian

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Well done Guys! I am pretty Useless with a GPS, I know My way around Thailand and if I go to Laos will Follow Rex I think, might be easier!!! Waiting for the Plate for My CRF then I am Ready Rex!

Nov 21, 2010
Great .... I was always wondering why it was not there yet. Thanks.

But .... would it not be much easier to have a section "GPS Tracks" in each section on the main-forum page? (instead of having a all separate main page with almost the same sections)

I have about 20tracks, made with different tracking apps on different devices. It are all KML-files.
When I just downloaded a GPX file from the Laos section it was named a XML-file (on my Macbook) so I had to remove the XML and then it was loaded by Google Earth and shown as a KML-file. Looked good, I think I can even play the all trip and see where you have been (well seen from a satellite)

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
This is a fantastic new resource and addition to the site! Bravo!

I'm also a bit clueless with GPS and have managed to get around pretty well with Google Maps on road trips, but recognize that for off-road in areas with no phone coverage that a proper GPS is much more useful.

Mar 30, 2010
Changnoi1;279086 wrote: Great .... I was always wondering why it was not there yet. Thanks.

But .... would it not be much easier to have a section "GPS Tracks" in each section on the main-forum page? (instead of having a all separate main page with almost the same sections)

I have about 20tracks, made with different tracking apps on different devices. It are all KML-files.
When I just downloaded a GPX file from the Laos section it was named a XML-file (on my Macbook) so I had to remove the XML and then it was loaded by Google Earth and shown as a KML-file. Looked good, I think I can even play the all trip and see where you have been (well seen from a satellite)

Chang Noi
Hi Chang Noi,

Hope you find time soon to share those tracks you have recorded.

The site allows uploading of KML files :)

Cheers
Brian

Jan 14, 2010
I'm in the same boat as Ian and Tony. Have only ever used GPS at sea and haven't seen the need for GPS on land, what with all the strips of bitumen, signposts, paper maps etc but.... will probably be buying a CRF next trip (October) and I can hear Laos calling.

Maybe I need to do a bit of study on these GPS gadgets.

First things first though. I'm just going to try to work out how to program my VHS video recorder........................Oh! We don't have one any more. Maybe I seriously need to catch up with technology ;)

Mar 11, 2008
Why not take the time to contribute tracks and trails to the open street map project..

In just a couple of years its gone from nothing and useless as a resource to having superb coverage.. I use it downloaded to my phone in Cambodia as its better labelled the the google or garmin ones.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Mar 30, 2010
LivinLOS;279242 wrote: Why not take the time to contribute tracks and trails to the open street map project..

In just a couple of years its gone from nothing and useless as a resource to having superb coverage.. I use it downloaded to my phone in Cambodia as its better labelled the the google or garmin ones.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Feel free to create a new thread.. OSM is a valuable resource and compliments the tracks that are shared.
OSM is mentioned in the post below.. The post is a little dated and the reference to OSM is buried in the thread.

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/33640-GDB-Files-Other-sources-of-tracks-and-maps

Contributing to OSM is encouraged.

The idea of the track sharing forum is to help fellow bikers / explorers find up to date and recent information and hopefully there is other information like a trip report etc to be shared with the track.

I have been editing the tracks with an Opensource GPS editor (QLandkarte GT), which uses OSM map.. The majority of the Laos tracks are not in OSM yet.

Cheers
Brian