New RE plant in Thailand

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Just read that RE is going to open up a new (assembly) line/ plant in Thailand. I assume that RE is doing really well with their bikes based on this and they're trying to alleviate the backlog they have domestically. I have criticized RE Thailand for their substandard service, especially the Thong Lor branch which is more about image than selling motorcycles. Praram5 seems to be slightly better but the sales department is again odd (pretty boys and girls show). Their service department is good though and they're easy to communicate with in Thai. They know what they're doing. If the presence of this plant can improve accountability and service a bit, that would be great.

Still love riding my Himalayan although it's scorching hot in the hot season. It's not fast but it does whatever you throw at it as long as it's not over 110km/hr ;-)

It seems that RE is going to stick to the air-cooled formula for the time being. There are rumors and vague pictures of a Himalayan 650 with perhaps a twin 650cc engine but it's said to be more road oriented / scrambler. The classic 350 won't come to Thailand soon though. I'll have a chat with the folks at RE at the motoexpo starting tomorrow.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Royal Enfield have been doing very well so no surprise here? I actually thought they may have already been assembled here? I wonder if this will affect the prices locally and bring them even further down? The 650 range has to be one of the best Value Bikes out there?

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Royal Enfield have been doing very well so no surprise here? I actually thought they may have already been assembled here? I wonder if this will affect the prices locally and bring them even further down? The 650 range has to be one of the best Value Bikes out there?
Fully agree. They're great value for money if you can deal with the quirks of a manufacturer and subsequent supply chain that is currently expanding beyond its own development pace and has its hiccups from time to time. RE is growing so fast that their expansion cannot keep up with the demand. I love the bikes, they're great as long as you don't do too much city riding. They tend to get incredibly hot in slow traffic.

As far as the price, I don't think it will go down even more. From what I understand the current markup is there to stay. They're considerably cheaper in India though even though they have been required to abide by the Euro 5 emission regulations by now.

The Meteor 350 is, from what I've heard, a great bike as well. I'd be buying an interceptor if I were more often in the country. I just can't justify having two or three big bikes here while working abroad for most of the year (that is in non-covid times). I think it's great to see that a motorcycle company is invested in bringing affordable machines that last and can be maintained by the rider. Honda, Kawa, Yamaha etc are all making great bikes, no doubt, but there's lots of digital stuff and electronics going on and that makes it hard to do anything yourself and the new price is quite steep. I hope that RE will keep this course.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Hm - Fritzltouw you wrote above that the new Classic 350 wont come to Thailand soon - but photos from the Moto Expo Royal Enfield certainly have the new 350 classic….
80A8C434-97BB-45D3-8B97-CD4BE793A661.jpeg

Reactions: Fritzltouw

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Hm - Fritzltouw you wrote above that the new Classic 350 wont come to Thailand soon - but photos from the Moto Expo Royal Enfield certainly have the new 350 classic….View attachment 144172
YEP! YEP you're right. I read an article from a Thai news outlet saying it wasn't sure but it's here! I'm curious to see what it's like in real life. Will report back in a few days. probably going this weekend if it's not too busy.

Sep 13, 2010
The RE assembly was supposed to start two and a half years ago, but it has been delayed (a lot!). I don't know the reasons for this.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
The RE assembly was supposed to start two and a half years ago, but it has been delayed (a lot!). I don't know the reasons for this.
From what I understand, but I might be wrong, it was planned to be built in 2022 all along from the start. Perhaps they have waited out the pandemic storm? But then again, their sales have only gone up during the pandemic and they've been doing remarkably well in sales figures.

Reactions: Ian Bungy
Sep 13, 2010
From what I understand, but I might be wrong, it was planned to be built in 2022 all along from the start. Perhaps they have waited out the pandemic storm? But then again, their sales have only gone up during the pandemic and they've been doing remarkably well in sales figures.
They use/were going to use an assembly company that does assembly for other vehicle manufacturers, rather than build their own factory. Maybe that changed for some reason and the delay is due to them going on their own?

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
They use/were going to use an assembly company that does assembly for other vehicle manufacturers, rather than build their own factory. Maybe that changed for some reason and the delay is due to them going on their own?
Could well be. I remember there's been talk about opening up a factory for a while but I can see how they'd like to keep things within their own control. They've had serious issues with QC during the first relaunch stage in India. I guess that might have prompted them to keep it entirely within the company.