Above: the Sunday Night Market, Chiang Mai
Many towns across Thailand have a night market, often Saturday night, and an area designated as a "walking street" that is closed to all traffic in the late afternoon. By 5pm, stall holders are flat out preparing their shelters, display tables and food stalls.
In most instances these markets cater primarily to "local" customers, which means authentic local foods, snacks and sweets are available. Such markets are an excellent place to wander and mingle with the townsfolk...
If you are planning a trip around the northern Thailand provinces, knowing when and where to find a night market may well add an extra dimension to your travel experience.
Night Markets & Walking Streets across Northern Thailand:
Night Markets in Chiang Rai Province
- Chiang Rai Saturday Night Walking Street Market
- Chiang Rai city - Night Bazaar Market each evening
Night Markets in Phayao Province
Night Markets in Chiang Mai Province
- Muang Fang Night Market - Tuesdays - Chiang Mai Province
- Muang Chiang Mai - Sunday Market - from Thapae Gate
- Muang Chiang Mai - daily Night Bazaar - Changklan Road
Night Markets in Lampang Province
Night Markets in Mae Hon Son Province
- Mae Sariang - Friday Night Market - beside the Police Station
- Mae Hong Son city - Saturday Evening Market - near Crossroads Pub
- Mae Hong Son city - Evening Market - Nov/March - starts near Post Office, mid-town
- Mae Sariang - Sunday Night Market - town centre
Night Markets in Petchabun Province
Night Markets in Loei Province
- Chiang Khan Walking Street Market