Number plate dramas !

Jul 18, 2011
Picked up the registration tag and green book for the old girl on Monday, and then somchai happily informed me that my plate will be ready in early January !

w.t.f. !

Apparently there is a problem sourcing number plates, luckily the rego tag has the plate number on it .
Aint life grand.

Rob

:crazy:L

Mar 1, 2012
I feel your pain... 7 months and counting. I am still working on a certificate of residence lol

Jul 11, 2007
Hello,
Have you any idea how long it will take to have the papers in your name if you buy a second-hand bike,
legally registered,green book and plates in the same Changwat?
Cheers, Lung.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
guichard;282488 wrote: Hello,
Have you any idea how long it will take to have the papers in your name if you buy a second-hand bike,
legally registered,green book and plates in the same Changwat?
Cheers, Lung.
Lung
Should be "instaneous," if the paper work is correct & vehicle inspection is passed, you will get your own ownership book the next day in Chiang Mai.

Apr 16, 2011
I was waiting over 3 months for the new plates on my versys, my wife picked the plate up as i am out of country and she got a call from the Lands department that she had to return the plate as there is a problem with quality of the plate and now have to wait again to get another plate made with the same number, so who know what is going on with the making for bike plates

Cheers
Grubman

Oct 17, 2006
The number plate on my Ducati is cracked where it was hit by a pickup I need a replacement before it disintergrates but chonburi transport office say if I hand it in for replacement it will be 3 months at least for new plate !!!!!!!!!!???????

However some bike shops have told me there is a faster way to get ''Pattern'' plates made in less than 2 weeks with a bit of ''tea money'' ??????

Dec 27, 2007
monsterman;282499 wrote: The number plate on my Ducati is cracked where it was hit by a pickup I need a replacement before it disintergrates but chonburi transport office say if I hand it in for replacement it will be 3 months at least for new plate !!!!!!!!!!???????

However some bike shops have told me there is a faster way to get ''Pattern'' plates made in less than 2 weeks with a bit of ''tea money'' ??????
There are shops in Bangkok (a lot in the little sois off Soi Nathong in Ratchada area) that can copy plates on the spot. They even copy the official embossed "stamp" so it's pretty much impossible to tell them from the plates issued by the DLT.

Sep 4, 2007
The problems are with the manufacture of plates, I believe there have not been any made since early this year and now stocks are more or less exhausted. No problem getting a legal book or change in the book, as we found when we were issued a new registration number for the existing book for the 650 BMW when we moved registration from BKK to CM. we were given the old book back with newly issued CM number back in March and were told no plates would be made until October, now they are saying November. So we have a new number, but have to run with the old plate until they start to manufacture again. I guess by then there will be a huge backlog.

Mar 30, 2010
TonyBKK;282503 wrote: There are shops in Bangkok (a lot in the little sois off Soi Nathong in Ratchada area) that can copy plates on the spot. They even copy the official embossed "stamp" so it's pretty much impossible to tell them from the plates issued by the DLT.
Hi Tony,

Do you mind messaging me the location of these places you mentioned

Been waiting for my KLX replacement plate since January.. Suppose to be here end of September. They pushed this out once already when I went to pick it up at Morchit.
(Now have a plate that is glued together on the KLX and would not survive another Laos trip..

Have been told 3 months for the Ninja plate that is some where on the side of the road between CNX and Tak..
This is the same DLT that has taken 8 months so far for the KLX plate

Will get one of those plates for the Ninja as a temporary measure.. Not that I have been stopped or hassled..

Thanks
Brian

Dec 27, 2007
brian_bkk;282511 wrote: Hi Tony,

Do you mind messaging me the location of these places you mentioned

Been waiting for my KLX replacement plate since January.. Suppose to be here end of September. They pushed this out once already when I went to pick it up at Morchit.
(Now have a plate that is glued together on the KLX and would not survive another Laos trip..

Have been told 3 months for the Ninja plate that is some where on the side of the road between CNX and Tak..
This is the same DLT that has taken 8 months so far for the KLX plate

Will get one of those plates for the Ninja as a temporary measure.. Not that I have been stopped or hassled..

Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian- there are a ton of little mc shops that specialize in all sorts of odd jobs right around here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.772748,100.56875&num=1&t=m&z=18

This is where I've gone to have shocks disassembled, plates trimmed and backed, and there are some good welders around here as well as places that do chrome and anodizing work- it's really fun to just wander about and see what you can find. I'm pretty sure the shop that does the plates is right by the place marker I've linked above, but if not, just wander around that area a bit and you're sure to find a shop that does plates- they usually have some plates hanging outside so should be easy to spot.

I took the plate off my KLX a while back when it started to crack and now just carry it in my back pack or tail bag on the off chance a BiB might want to see it. Suppose I ought to have it backed or copied one of these days :)

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks David,
So,I'l look for 2nd hand,because coming over mid Nov,I will no be able to make my Lao trip in Jan with a new bike fully registered.
Cheers, Lung.

Aug 13, 2009
Thanx Tony

Will go and have a look. A friend offered me to copy a plate for THB 1k. Sounded a bit inflated to me. What would you expect to pay for 1 plate?

TonyBKK;282518 wrote: Hi Brian- there are a ton of little mc shops that specialize in all sorts of odd jobs right around here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.772748,100.56875&num=1&t=m&z=18

This is where I've gone to have shocks disassembled, plates trimmed and backed, and there are some good welders around here as well as places that do chrome and anodizing work- it's really fun to just wander about and see what you can find. I'm pretty sure the shop that does the plates is right by the place marker I've linked above, but if not, just wander around that area a bit and you're sure to find a shop that does plates- they usually have some plates hanging outside so should be easy to spot.

I took the plate off my KLX a while back when it started to crack and now just carry it in my back pack or tail bag on the off chance a BiB might want to see it. Suppose I ought to have it backed or copied one of these days :)

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
I would wait it out, when I bought a new Mio125 for my partners brother in February I was then told by Yamaha that new plates will be handed out only late this year because of Quality issues. And right he is, got my Focus transferred from Chonburi to CNX some 3 years ago and the plate that is most exposed to the sun (the rear one) started to peel of the white colour all over. FJR & DR not as they are parked in the shade. It's no problem as long you have the greenbook and insurance copies with you, police knows as all the Thai owned scooters and cars are missing their plates too, not only the bigbikes. Rgds, FR

Jun 15, 2011
A Thai lady reversed her car and ' damaged ' my number plate. This was in Pattaya. When I went to see about a replacement the D.O.T., said I would have to get a report from a police station before they could process my request. Only in Thailand ?

Dec 27, 2007
speedybuffalo;282545 wrote: Thanx Tony

Will go and have a look. A friend offered me to copy a plate for THB 1k. Sounded a bit inflated to me. What would you expect to pay for 1 plate?
A replacement motorcycle plate from the DLT costs less then 200 Baht so yeah, I'd say your "friend" is taking the piss on that...

Dec 27, 2007
finnomick;282557 wrote: A Thai lady reversed her car and ' damaged ' my number plate. This was in Pattaya. When I went to see about a replacement the D.O.T., said I would have to get a report from a police station before they could process my request. Only in Thailand ?
Next time don't say anything about an accident, just tell them the plate fell off and you lost it, no police report required. (At least that was my experience when I lost the plate on one of my bikes).

Mar 30, 2010
TonyBKK;282560 wrote: Next time don't say anything about an accident, just tell them the plate fell off and you lost it, no police report required. (At least that was my experience when I lost the plate on one of my bikes).
Yep, lost it and no police report.. Had it twice now..

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
finnomick;282557 wrote: A Thai lady reversed her car and ' damaged ' my number plate. This was in Pattaya. When I went to see about a replacement the D.O.T., said I would have to get a report from a police station before they could process my request. Only in Thailand ?
FWIW:
My Suzuki dirt-bike originally had a BKK license plate when I bought it. I never had a problem renewing the registration, for a BKK plate, at the DLT office in Pattaya.
Due to wear and tear from off-road riding, the license plate cracked and broke off somewhere, leaving only a portion the license plate on the bike intact.
The Pattaya DLT office was of no help and suggested I go to the DLT office in Chonburi and get both the bike registered in Chonburi and a new Chonburi license plate.

At the Choburi DLT, I gave them my green book and the remaining fragment of my BKK license plate. No police report or other info was asked for.
I was told to return late the next afternoon. Upon returning, I received a new Chonburi license plate and a page had been added to the green book, indicating the change.
Total cost was.....177-Baht!!! I'd suggest you try going to the Chonburi DLT to get your replacement plate!

Jun 5, 2008
Have been waiting now since late January (9 months now) for a plate for my Versys that I bought in Surat Thanee., everytime I check with the DLT in CM they generally tell me to check again in another 2 months! The change to my name and into CM province was no problem.

Mar 1, 2012
I am actually expecting it is going to be a year or more before I get my plate. partially due to the fact that I am not in Thailand full time. Luckily the BIB have not given me much grief about it. gotta love Thailand

Mar 30, 2010
Bkk848SF;282722 wrote: I am actually expecting it is going to be a year or more before I get my plate. partially due to the fact that I am not in Thailand full time. Luckily the BIB have not given me much grief about it. gotta love Thailand
If the BIB do pull you over. just show the receipt the LTA gave you.. and you will have no dramas.

We should always ride around with that while the number plate is in PROGRESSzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Cheers
Brian

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks Brian. I try to make sure I have that with me but have left without it a few times. I have luckily not been ask for it at all yet. I think the BIB have clued in to the fact that new bikes are taking forever to get the plates now days.

Jun 14, 2009
I'm in the line as well...

Sep 11 I bought a used CBR 150 in Korat and didn't have the Residence letter, so I could not change ownership on the spot in Korat. Brought the bike back to Pattaya and went to the Chonburi DLT on Sep 14. "Delisted the bike from Korat, B25 fee, and then went back on the 20th to have the serial numbers checked, etc. Chonburi DLT kept the greenbook, gave me a letter, receipt for new tag and a new tax sticker with the new plate number on it. Was told the new palte would be available in October- but call first. Based on the previous posters, I'm not holding my breath; however, I do have a Korat plate, so thats something :)

Mar 30, 2010
Some good news on this one.. At least in Bangkok...

Just had someone call the DLT at Mo Chit..

Both my KLX plate (9months waiting) & my Ninja Plate (2 or 3 months wiating)

Ready to be picked up....

Amazing Thailand.

Cheers
Brian