On the road - where is this route?

Discussion in 'Touring Northern Thailand - Trip Reports Forum' started by DavidFL, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Anyone recognise this route number? And where is it?

322709615_9sJYY-S-M.

I thought it was a beauty. Never seen it before.

2. No takers yet? Where are you Captain Slash?
    OK, a couple of hints.
    1. It's in the North
    2. It’s "sort of" a new bypass road.

Meanwhile, fossicking along the 'Khong a few days ago....
    R4007. A nice little narrow tight twisting steep undulating rural back road beside that mighty beautiful river.
    323446901_JVowm-M.

10 kms from the start of R4007 (at the CK end) you’ll stumble across the Rai Saeng Arun boutique resort
    http://www.raisaengarun.com/
    This place really is a genuine gem right on the Mekong. Indeed it’s perfect for that magical trip trying to impress a romantic girlfriend.....

Your bungalow for the night, with majestic Mekong river views.
    323437336_JRbRQ-M.

A bungalow backside, perhaps so impressive, but check out the location & commanding view.
    323437259_x33MB-M.

The open air sala deck dining area.
    323437154_tYMDT-M.

Or down by the riverside
    323437201_A2rNd-M.

Your riverside views
    [​IMG]

And yep, the 'Khong is up. Here’s Houei Xai from Tammila in Chiang Khong
    [​IMG]

Plus the Khong from on the road R1129
    323437244_4TzNL-M.

Keep riding if you're a biker. No need to talk about it. Just do it.

3. Is it the Fang bypass?

4. I second Scotty 007 choice as the Fang bypass. Yes??

5. Nope, not the Fang bypass.

6. Hmmh?
    How about it goes to a bridge.

7. Captain
    It's hard to imagine you not having crossed this road, but you may not have ridden down it, as it is a wide "newish" bypass & you tend to like & stick to nice rural back roads, avoiding the bigger roads.
    It's been around for a couple of years, uncompleted & an unnumbered; but now it's Route # 123!

8. Is it the Chiang Dao bypass? I can definately renember seeing this recently (JAN08)

9. Sorry guys. Try further north. It is 9kms from start to finish, skirting town.

10. Let me put in my 2 cents worth. I guess that it is the new road branching of from Rd 1 just south of Mae Sai going to the new bridge over the Mekong to Burma, a few clicks east of the old bridge. The bridge seems to be open for goods transport but not yet for general use.

11. Yes sir! Jackpot. That's the one, & I reckon for an expert like you "the bridge" was probably the give away.

From off the new "forthcoming" GT Rider Golden Triangle guide map....
    327810062_Vpc6v-M.

12. Yes, indeed, the bridge was the give away. I did remember having been on road 123 but could not remember anymore where it was. By the way, has the last part - connecting it to the bridge - been finished by now?