OT questions

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by hs0zfe, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I need to do a VISA run and thought of taking the sleeper train from BKK to the border near Udon Thani and fly back from Vientiane after riding a few days in both Udon (my wife is from that region) and in Laos.

    Q1: at the border, they need a passport and one or two photographs plus a VISA fee?

    Does the train cross the border, or would all passengers get off and obtain VISAs?

    I'll rent a bike in Vientiane and not bother with temporary import papers and all that .

    The sleeper trains are fun: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#On%20board

    Ride on!

  2. The train comes to Nong Khai and it's easiest to tuk tuk to the bridge and cross here. 1 Passport photo is required plus USD for the visa. Bridge fee for the bus across is 15 baht or something like that.

    If your bike is legal in Thailand, I am starting to obtain bridge permits for one time entry (30 Days). Email me for details.

  3. The trains (or at least one of them) goes over the bridge to the Thanaleng station just beyond the Friendship bridge. There is visa on arrival at the train station I was told. However, public transport from the station to Vientiane can be a bit of a hassle as the Thanaleng station is out in the sticks and if there are no tuk-tuks, it is quite a walk to the Friendship Bridge to get transport.

    From the Nongkhai station, as Jim mentions, it is quite easy as there is regular transport from the station to the Friendship Bridge
  4. Thanks a lot. I want to play it safe and keep renting for the time being.

    Jim, I am writing down your link as your services will be invaluable.

    Q: do they issue multi entry visas? This might be cheaper in the long run.

  5. No multi-entry visas for as far as I know unless you have a job with an international organization (UN, INGO, Embassy, etc.) in Laos

Share This Page