Pa Dang National Park - Doi Ang Khang - Chai Prakan

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Route - 121, 107, 1178, 1340, 1249, 107, 1346, 1150, 1001, 121

Distance - 392kms

This ride was the first time out in a couple of weeks, as I have been otherwise occupied. Champing at the bit and desperate to get a ride in before Songkran closes down the opportunities for decent rides for a week, I wanted to do something a bit special.

And this report is going to be a little different too!

I fancied seeing Doi Ang Khang after reading so many other peoples experiences of this area and knew that I would be smiling a lot with the roads & the views. I didn't know that I would find half of what I found and arrived home after 9 hours of a ride with much more than just a smile and would like to do again, again & again in the future.

On the road by 08:30 meant that I could get out of town and up north for an early start on decent roads. I took the Canal road (121) up to Mae Rim and joined the 107.

I can report that the 107 now has tarmac on it's length between Mae Rim & Chiang Dao, albeit narrow for 2 way traffic at times, all except for a 2 metre strip of joining gravel at one point. So this road just got even more enjoyable too.
DSC_7493.jpg

DSC_7496.jpg

A fast blast on the Chiang Dao Bypass reminded me a little of the GTR Christmas ride, when I followed Kenyam along here doing 150 in the rain!

At Ping Khong traffic lights I took a left onto the 1178. I noted the left turning along here where many riders have posted about, the 1322 but that's for another day.
DSC_7498.jpg

DSC_7502.jpg

DSC_7509.jpg

DSC_7510.jpg

DSC_7518.jpg

On up the 1178 I reach Na Wai and the Pa Dang National Park, signposted Srisungwan Waterfall.
DSC_7521.jpg

Here I enter the park & pay the (local) money after a discussion and as usual it is 20 baht for the bike & 10 baht for me.
DSC_7522.jpg

I don't think I have ever been to a park that is so well signposted.

Lovely waterfall, the grounds are well laid out & immaculately maintained. The fern & Herb garden are almost manicured and the entire visit was a pleasure.
DSC_7525.jpg

DSC_7528.jpg

DSC_7543.jpg

DSC_7549.jpg

DSC_7554.jpg

DSC_7557.jpg

DSC_7564.jpg

DSC_7569.jpg

DSC_7574.jpg

Back on the 1178 and onto Lin Luang junction, where the 1178 forks 2 ways ! I go right to Arunothai where I take a break & lunch.
DSC_7589.jpg

DSC_7597.jpg

DSC_7598.jpg

DSC_7611.jpg

DSC_7612.jpg

DSC_7613.jpg

I am now on the 1340 and heading for Sinchai. At the control point I continue on straight and after a brilliant ride, I find Thomn Gob Inn, one of General Lee's residences and in fact his eldest daughter Pauranee Chaisai greeted me and was pleased to show me around the Generals home.
DSC_7615.jpg

DSC_7617.jpg

DSC_7618.jpg

DSC_7622.jpg

DSC_7625.jpg

DSC_7627.jpg

The views from the crest of this ride ride through Mae Fang National Park are spectacular. Words & even photos cannot capture the experience of scents, panorama and the feeling of enormity as everything is dwarfed by the massive mountains across the valley.
DSC_7630.jpg

DSC_7632.jpg

DSC_7633.jpg

At the eventual junction which suggests that Doi Ang Khang is up the mountain to the right and is the 1249, I take the left and pass through a very busy but very humble village. After another good stretch of ride, I finally reach the end of the 1340.
DSC_7638.jpg

Here I find the Doi Ang Khang Nature Resort and after a look around, put a deposit down for a 3 night stay next week, for a romantic retreat over Songkran. This place will do just fine, to chill out and relax.
DSC_7639.jpg

DSC_7642.jpg

After a refuel at the supermarket with a few old Sangsom bottles, I retraced my path up the mountain to the road junction that is missing on my gps map.(Ouch ! No photo either !)

The earlier junction I noted of the 1249 going right, goes up to the crest of this mountain but from where I am now riding, there is another road (3rd side of the triangle) which takes you up to the crest of the mountain by another route and joins the 1249 at a control post.
DSC_7643.jpg

I take the left towards Chai Prakan and descend the mountain in a very respectable 1st & 2nd gear.
DSC_7646.jpg

This is steep and the Dragstar feels like a battle cruiser with unstoppable momentum. No brake fade for me today, I have learned an awful lot about using the gears on this bikes descent now, I hardly touch the brake since the last instance of brake fade in January and I feel more in control of the bike now. Not the other way round !

At the 107 junction just north of Chai Prakan, I turn left and then after a few kms I do left onto the 1346 at the 'hong pak'.
DSC_7655.jpg

DSC_7656.jpg

DSC_7657.jpg

This road is part of the "Chai Prakan Loop"and is a brilliant ride. The last time I rode it was on 26 December 2008 on that wet GTR Christmas Ride and it was horrible. Today in the warm afternoon sun and post burn off (still burning in places!) the road can be enjoyed & the scenery too.
DSC_7661.jpg

DSC_7665.jpg

DSC_7676.jpg

DSC_7679.jpg

At the end of the 1346, I take a left onto the 1150, there is road surface work going on along here too and on into Phrao where I stop at the 7/11.
DSC_7688.jpg

DSC_7691.jpg

DSC_7693.jpg

I take the 1001 out of Phrao and now I am on the homeward stretch, there are no more photos but what I can say is that the 1001 is now resurfaced from Long Khot right down to the 1323 junction to Mae Ngat and is very smooth.

I follow the 1001 down into Chiang Mai and as it's now getting on for 17:30, the markets along here are busy. At the 121 I do a left and home.

Ally

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks to both you guys, your reports are excellent invitations for this area too. An excellent day out.

I will look out next time for that place, noodle & dumplings mmmm, as I will be on the D-Tracker on that trip, the new baby arrives today !! :D I will also venture off the tarmac too.

This country has some fabulous roads and they are just waiting to be ridden, we are so fortunate.

Ally

Jun 1, 2008
Thank you from me too Ally

I am having great fun following these routes on my own map here and creating my probable rides for the forthcoming trip based on the reports.

This one looks to be a 'must do', thanks

T

Feb 2, 2009
Nice and very informative trip report Ally.

A long ride I'm sure you were glad to get back home.

I hope to meet up with you for a ride after Songkhan.

Dan...

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Great report Ally.

You’ve definitely got the knack when it comes to taking photo’s, there really good shots.
I did a similar ride with seo-guy a while back, and it is a great part of Thailand
Also agree that HWY 1346 is a good ride, as well as being a good alternative to 107, particularly when there’s pubic holidays, because there never seems to be any traffic.

Have good few days over songkarn.

Moto-Rex

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Oh how I know you are a single man ! :twisted:

I had the option of picking up the bike today but then I thought, why not park it free & out of harms way for a week while I am away and in any case not riding it over Songkran.

If I picked it up before going away, there is every chance a family member would have their hands all over it & that would just not do !

So I will pick it up from Kawasaki in 6 days (16th). I will then be riding day & night until 24th when indeed I will want to get out on the road with my mate & old mucker !

Where we going ? Perhaps the other D-Tracker folks will like a ride with you before you head off home?

Ally

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Ally a top informative report as usual. We went to Doi Ang Khang just after new year it was scenic, bloody freezing and the Pink blossums on those trees (Sakura) was worth the trip alone.
Too see Thai people camping out on every available piece of cleared land dressed in their full winter ski clothes was also a must to be seen by Farangs. The number of Thai people that want to experience the cold and scernery was very surprising to me.
Thanks for your report.

Ken F

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Ken - Thanks, yes Thai folks enjoy rushing to the cold, where as farangs typically try to avoid it.

Colin - Great idea, Miguels 2nd branch opening on the Lamphun Road at Nong Hoi on 25th would be an excellent opportunity for a get together and might I say ... Send off ?

Ally