Performance Kit for CRF250L

Jul 18, 2009
KZ25;286069 wrote: Good to know that this improvement seems to be easy to do!

How much are the parts? An ECU doesn't come cheap, I guess.

What would you say the power gain is? Worth the money? Does it make power in the higher range because the CRF has been detuned for low and midrange?
ECU and complete throttle body Bht 6020 - very reasonable in my opinion. Worth every cent. Power gain is considerably noticeable ,particularly from 3rd gear thru to 6th. I luv it . My only regret is not dong it 3 months ago. Wife took it to work tonight, hope she brings it back in one piece...

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Very interesting what you did! Since the parts are from the CBR there shouldn't be any problems in the long run.

Why did you change the front sprocket? Did you need more pick-up? What kind of effect did it have?

You mentioned a "restrictive emissions canister" - where does that thing sit and what chnage did that make?

Do you have any pictures by any chance? I'd be interested!

Jul 18, 2009
286127=14078-27122012501.jpg

Looks like this

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I thought only carbed models have those silly restriction things! Did you have to plug up any openings afterwards? I had to on my California-model XR650L.

Did performance improve?

What is the thing on the right exactly?

Dec 27, 2007
schackster;286127 wrote:
286127=14078-27122012501.jpg

Looks like this

^ On the left is a charcoal emissions canister. On the right I'm guessing is the original throttle body that has been replaced by the CB'r's 38mm throttle body, yes?

The purpose of the emissions canister is to catch gasoline fumes from the tank and gasoline overflow when a tank is overfilled and redirect them to the throttle body so that they are burned instead of being released into the atmosphere. The emissions canister has no effect on performance.

Jan 31, 2013
Hi Ian,

Do you have contact info for Na? i live in Samui and no mods available here yet.. Just a couple of tourist trappers swearing that their Chinese slip on exhaust will add hp and "Mega power"...:lol-sign: have a great mechanic down here, but no parts available..

There is a kit available from the US from BestDualsportbikes.com with an electronic jet kit, fmf pipe, powerbomb header and a couple sprokets, but it's about 3 times the price. they say it gives about 6-8 hp.. not much for 1500 us i think...

thanks

G

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
schackster;286078 wrote: ECU and complete throttle body Bht 6020 - very reasonable in my opinion. Worth every cent. Power gain is considerably noticeable ,particularly from 3rd gear thru to 6th. I luv it . My only regret is not dong it 3 months ago. Wife took it to work tonight, hope she brings it back in one piece...
I am very interested in doing the same thing, swapping ECU and TB for CBR ones. Have you put many kms on it since? Does it seem to be holding up well? I don't know so much about it, but I am wondering if it might be hard on the original cams? Does it seem to rev higher than before? I know that Nat's kit includes heavier clutch springs (although a new cam as well). Have you had any clutch slippage? Have you checked the valves since?

Lastly, can anybody recommend what the quietest aftermarket pipe is that is still affordable? I don't mind if its a bit louder than stock as I am sure they all are, but I don't like silly-loud pipes, but that's pretty much all I ever hear out of aftermarket pipes. Thanks for any info guys!

Jan 31, 2013
KZ25;285161 wrote: Funny that when the KLX proved to have only 18 horses everybody was complaining big time but I haven't heard many CRF riders complain?

How do the torque graphs compare?
Not too sure about the graphs compare, but they both have their ups and downs for performance. i rented both bikes a few times before i bought and just found that the honda was more fun in the mountians and on ameteurish tracks.. kawasaki had more low end pop and seemed to be geared a bit better, but the honda handles better.. You just have to stay harder on the throttle with the honda.. in the mid to higher rpm's, the honda was more fun.. Just has to be ridden harder.. kawasaki i think is better for beginers.. but side by side, i considered them to be equal in terms of pros and cons. just a matter of what your riding style is..

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
If you only change the ECU and throttle body you practically run a CBR engine which should have a better top end but maybe less midrange and torque down low.

But engine-wise it should be safe, as safe as a CBR, since the CRF's is a tuned-for-midrange CBR engine.

If you install hotter cams you may need stiffer clutch springs.

Jan 31, 2013
KZ25;287323 wrote: If you only change the ECU and throttle body you practically run a CBR engine which should have a better top end but maybe less midrange and torque down low.

But engine-wise it should be safe, as safe as a CBR, since the CRF's is a tuned-for-midrange CBR engine.

If you install hotter cams you may need stiffer clutch springs.

Thanks for info. I have found a little bit more professional track down here I Samui so I think it's time for some more pop in the bottom end. Any one know what works best. I have changed the front sprocket down to a 13 tooth and getting a new rear. Probably a 43 or 45 tooth. I have also added a heavier oil in the front forks which keeps me from bottoming out on the jumps.
Anyone have any advise on how to get that low end? On the track I rarely leave second gear as the strait aways aren't very long and I am desperate to hit the almost 2m table top in 3rd gear. Will show crash photos after. Ha ha ha

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Sorry Geoff don't have any details as such of the Motocross Shop. Maybe someone else can Help out?

Geoffeffrey;287219 wrote: Hi Ian,

Do you have contact info for Na? i live in Samui and no mods available here yet.. Just a couple of tourist trappers swearing that their Chinese slip on exhaust will add hp and "Mega power"...:lol-sign: have a great mechanic down here, but no parts available..

There is a kit available from the US from BestDualsportbikes.com with an electronic jet kit, fmf pipe, powerbomb header and a couple sprokets, but it's about 3 times the price. they say it gives about 6-8 hp.. not much for 1500 us i think...

thanks

G

Jan 31, 2013
Ian Bungy;287344 wrote: Sorry Geoff don't have any details as such of the Motocross Shop. Maybe someone else can Help out?

ok no problem. i must have misunderstood you, because in an earlier post you said you had tested his bike with this performance kit.

i thought maybe you knew him..

thanks anyway

Anyone else know?

Cheers

G

Mar 6, 2013
New here but I thought I add what Ive been doing to my CRF over the last two months. when I can work out how to upload photos I will post some.
I stripped about 25/30kgs of shite off her, done the air box mods, put a racingmoto cross exhaust on her. The exhaust with the air box mods makes it toobloody loud really.....but at least they can hear me coming now.

After reading a post on gtrider by a guy who went to API Tech in Bangkok andhad his bike tuned, I took my bike there two days ago. It`s only 8Km from myhouse, so that is good.

They asked me what the bike was like to ride and what I wanted from the bike.They then tuned one of their ECU`s and installed in on my bike, then they tunedit to the air box mods and exhaust. They did the ignition advance, fuel/airmix, power delivery, throttle response and increased the rev range within safelimits. They are a very nice friendly bunch of people. The service was firstclass, and all this cost 4,800 THB.

The difference this has made to the bike is quite frankly shocking, it has somuch more power everywhere. The only drawback is, I used to think the brakeswere good, now with the weight lose and the power gain the brake don`t/can`tstop the bike like they should. Just shows how much faster it is going.So....oh no more mods...hahaha.....I`ll be looking a brake upgrades and forkand rear shock upgrades....

I went in to the main honda in Min Buri two days ago where we live and ordereda throttle body for a CBR250R as its bigger then the one on my bike. Anothershock, it was ready to collect yesterday at 4pm and here is the real shocker,it cost 4,300THB for the complete unit. It is now installed and working well.It has made a difference.

I removed the carbon canister today and that has made a difference.

I will have to take the bike back to API and put it on the dyno to see what thebhp is now. It really does feel a lot more powerful now.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hey Steve did you ever check out your bike on a dyno after you have done all your modifications? Very interested Ken F.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
mcrosser;288207 wrote: New here but I thought I add what Ive been doing to my CRF over the last two months. when I can work out how to upload photos I will post some.
I stripped about 25/30kgs of shite off her, done the air box mods, put a racingmoto cross exhaust on her. The exhaust with the air box mods makes it toobloody loud really.....but at least they can hear me coming now.

After reading a post on gtrider by a guy who went to API Tech in Bangkok andhad his bike tuned, I took my bike there two days ago. It`s only 8Km from myhouse, so that is good.

They asked me what the bike was like to ride and what I wanted from the bike.They then tuned one of their ECU`s and installed in on my bike, then they tunedit to the air box mods and exhaust. They did the ignition advance, fuel/airmix, power delivery, throttle response and increased the rev range within safelimits. They are a very nice friendly bunch of people. The service was firstclass, and all this cost 4,800 THB.

The difference this has made to the bike is quite frankly shocking, it has somuch more power everywhere. The only drawback is, I used to think the brakeswere good, now with the weight lose and the power gain the brake don`t/can`tstop the bike like they should. Just shows how much faster it is going.So....oh no more mods...hahaha.....I`ll be looking a brake upgrades and forkand rear shock upgrades....

I went in to the main honda in Min Buri two days ago where we live and ordered a throttle body for a CBR250R as its bigger then the one on my bike. Anothershock, it was ready to collect yesterday at 4pm and here is the real shocker,it cost 4,300THB for the complete unit. It is now installed and working well. It has made a difference.

I removed the carbon canister today and that has made a difference.

I will have to take the bike back to API and put it on the dyno to see what thebhp is now. It really does feel a lot more powerful now.
Right, I guess we all are interested what the 250 can do with all these mods!

I wonder why the API guys didn't tell you to get the bigger CBR throttle body in the first place, or did they?

I'd assume that changing the throttle body would mean adjusting the ECU all over, no? You wrote you installed it and it runs fine - just like that?

Concerning brake/suspension upgrades maybe looking at CFR M parts would be an idea? Stock Honda parts for a low price; bigger front disc, stiffer springs, aso.

Dec 2, 2013
Hi guys, just stumbled upon this site and thread.
usually am on Thumper talk, there is a wealth of info there form all over
See some guys looking for basic mods, and usually they should go in this order but not set in stone:
EJK Programmer
airbox mod
pipe
airfilter-hurricane or aussie twin air foam
cbr throttle body does almost nothing, cam is more worth the money
this s the site if you really want to get educated!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/351-crf250l/

ask anything, have done a ton to mine and she is sweet!

Jun 15, 2011
So happy I sold the CRF250L before the problems developed. My mate 's is less than 2 years old with 8k on the clock. It won't run in the rain, it's a pig to select gears and the front forks feel like they're seizing. Anyone else had any problems ?

Dec 21, 2008
google says na's shop permanently closed. have they moved? where else can I get an aftermarket exhaust for crfl in CM?