Pictures from the Kanchanaburi trip- Good times!

Dec 27, 2007
What a fun trip! BIG thanks to Franz for putting it all together and letting me join at the last minute.

Here's Thursday's ride:

BKKKanchanaburiMap.jpg

I met up with the guys at a nice shady spot just past Prachin Buri on Route 319-

1023PrachinBikesSm.jpg

Nice group of bikes- 2 Yamaha FJR 1300's, a Fazer 1000, a Ninja ZX12R, a Harley Davidson Heritage Classic and my little Ninja 250R.

I usually cruise at about 100-120km/hr, but I had to up the pace to keep up with these guys! We cruised to Kanchanaburi averaging 120-140km/hr and made very good time.

Only got a little lost once-

1023PitStopZm.jpg

John's GPS came in quite handy :D

It was a HOT day and we rode about 330 km. Upon arrival in Kanchanaburi we checked into our rooms and met up on the deck of the River Kwai Resort from some much needed beverages!
beerchug.gif

Here's the view from the deck-

1023TrainOnBrdgSm.jpg

Nice, huh?

DAY TWO-

Breakfast at the Jolly Frog (highly recommended!) and we set off to explore the beautiful winding Route 3199 that leads to Erawan Falls and Dam and Si Sawat-

1024ErawanZm.jpg

At the entrance to Erawan Falls and Dam

1024Erawan1Sm.jpg

Here are some pictures we took on top of the dam-

1024DamBikesZm.jpg

Somebody is ready to RIDE! 8)
1024NinjaMirDam1Zm.jpg

What a view!
1024MirDam2Zm.jpg

On to the reservoir and lunch on the lake at the Heaven Lake Resort-

1024HvnLkBikes1Sm.jpg

I'd heard a rumor that these GT Rider guys like to eat... It's TRUE!!! :wink:

Here's John showing us his special drinking technique-
1024MirJohnSm.jpg

And here's my son showing John how it's done :wink:
1024MirJohn2Sm.jpg

burp.gif

Peter introduced my son to the joys of splashing in puddles-

1024MirPeterSm.jpg

That kept him occupied for a good part of the evening-
1024MirPuddle2Zm.jpg

DAY 3-

Most of our group headed home on Saturday and those who remained decided to relax at the resort and have a couple of beers. A wise man told me that means 1 beer + 1 beer which makes 11 beers... :wink:

Had to see some of the tourist sites-

1025MarcMirBrdg1Zm.jpg

I wanted to ride some more so I set our for Sai Yok in the direction of the Three Pagodas Pass on Route 323-

1025Ninja250RSm.jpg

Happy Trails!
1025Route363Sm.jpg

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Nice report and pix, TonyBKK.
I thought more GT-er's were going on the trip?
How did you manage to carry your child on that Ninja 250R...in a saddlebag??

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony, no need to thank me, also Peter was busy with preparations and it only was a good trip because of all of us !!!!
Well some nice pictures from me and more to follow (from Ed in his car) in another post later.
Well with the weather we were not so lucky as on Thu 23. it was really hot, especially on the 329 between Hinkong-Saraburi and Suphanburi so we had to stop sometimes. The only bright and good day for riding was actually Friday where we went up to Srinakarin Dam and to Saiyoke Waterfalls.

All bikes at the top of the dam:
bikesondam241008.jpg

Upstream it looks like this:
srinakarindam241008.jpg

Downstream like this:
srinakarinpowerplant241008.jpg

And here's again some laughs with Peetaaaaaa:
When elder men develop a belly it is quite difficult to put on the raingear, especially the trousers, so old man Dougal after trying twice dropped the rainpants to the ground and grumbled; f.......raintrousers, need a cigarette first, so then he leaned on the guardrail and had a smoke, did take longer for the trousers to find its bearer then............
peterswetsuit241008.jpg

After visiting the dam we carried on over some hills and found a very nice restaurant on boats where we had some goodies of course, but still without beers, that was for the evening before and after the trip. Started to rain a bit, but waited it out and then went back to "Kan". well 4 guys left already on Saturday, which was the most wet day but Peter and me decided to stay on until Sunday and check the average temperature of the beer provided at my Hotel. The usual brunchdi accompanied us trough the whole rainy day. Next day it was back 400 & 450 kms to our homes. We did again use route 329:
route329-261008.jpg

and had the usual stops (Petrol, Food, Dinner). Here's the 2 jolly old buggers at a smoke:
oldbuddiespeter-franz261008.jpg

While coming into Nakhon Nayok, we stopped again an met a big group of local bikers just coming back from a bikers party with Ad Carabao somewhere in Khao Yai. Lots of Harleys, other Choppers, some SR's, older Beemers and this, may I call it Thai Kwai Chopper:
kwaichopper261008.jpg

Amazing how the driver could sit on this thing for hours on end without tearing his arms of the body......Peter & me of course had a real laugh !!!

All in all this was a very nice trip with all the guys involved, we were sorry that Craig-Esib missed this one because of job reasons and hope he & others will join on the next one (Khao Yai//Chantaburi). Ed had to go by car because he sold his heap of scrap (the one that needed pushing for a start up every time), Ngoh has his CB750 still at the mechanic well and some others couldn't join for personal reasons. Thanks to all that came with us, especially to TonyBKK and his lovely family. This guy likes to drive I can tell you, and don't expect him to be slower on his Ninja 250....we couldn't shake him off......... :lol:
Cheers, Franz

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi guys

nice post Franz and i wonder that thai guy as well,,how in earth he can drive like that,, but he must look like halloween guy with his arms up still after the ride has been ended,,,
when is next Khao Yai tour?

Peter,,

Rain gear would be mush more fun to put on if you would use 1piece set, atleast for other to watch,,,LOL..

:wink:

Oct 17, 2006
Bummer for me missing that trip I only arrived back in Pattaya from UK on Friday...it seems you had a great time .

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Tony and Franz, thanks for the photos and more to come from Ed. Awesome views from the Dam and waiting for John to post as he went hiking for a good shot of the Dam wall.

I see Franz is still ambushing us with candid camera photos. It was John's turn last time and now me. John we need to be a "Tag-Team" on this one.

The roads were lovely, the weather forgiving, the company was great and the beers were in good supply and cold.
Tony was incredible on his Ninja keeping up with us.

The trip home on Sunday was at "Franz" speed!! I could'nt figure out what we were running from but I can tell you it never got close!
And we went through that bike group like a whirlwind!

Great trip and thanks to all.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Marco, we plan to do some trip on the weekend 15. & 16.11. glad you want to join in !! Some of us might already leave on Friday 14. late afternoon.

Jerry, gald to have you back, Hiko got lonely already and is missing your posts I think...... :oops: , whenever you're free give me a ring so we can meet somewhere.

Peter, yesssssssssssss..........I like it.......no offence meant but what would we do without some fun ???? I not yet started with the shareholder thing......... :cry: .........Well let's see what you and John are coming up with, might have me look like: :oops: or :twisted: I wonder ??????

Guys, great ride with great buddies !!!! Enjoyed it vely mut !!!! Franz

Sep 4, 2007
Hi All, Sorry to be a bit slow to respond, just come back from a trip to Laos, visit the capital and get an annual visa run out of the way.

Well as seen from existing posts and pics, Kanachaburi was a real fun trip, with some nice guys and of course Franz as well. Talking of Franz, something anyone who has met him will know, is that he is always smiling
Franzalwayssmiling.jpg

2posers.jpg

I wish he would tell me the secret
3posers.jpg

As said we met up near Prachinburi, testimony to Franz's directions we all arrived at the same spot with no need for SMS etc
01meetingup.jpg

First time I had met Tony, but had seen his posts and read how happy he was with his Ninja, He blended in very well with the group, on and off the road and added the things with the fun of his young family( who came in a car not in panniers)
family.jpg

An easy and pleasant ride to Kanachaburi and checked in to either the River Kwai resort at 1600 Baht a night. with terrace on the river and view of the bridge and cosy parking. River frequented by fast longtail boats.
bridge2.jpg

longtails.jpg

Franznotinterestdinthetatoos.jpg

headtotail.jpg

Or into a nearby resort at one third the price, no pics and no comments on it from those who stayed, I think they were happy.
Meeting at the Jolly Frog for breakfast showed that rooms in the area were available from 70Baht up (not joking).
JollyFrog.jpg

The days riding was great, lovely scenery, dodging the rain showers, the only negative for me was a lack of confidence in my front tyre,
baldasitsowner.jpg

A flat area on the RHS worn right around. It seemed to have got a lot worse during the 650km I did on Thursday, and I was not happy on wet RH bends. I stopped off in Khorat with Sibsima Yamaha and again Khun Nui gave excellent service, he got the tyre in and changed and balanced it himself. Got all the right gear in Khorat. Felt much much better after that and will not let them wear down that much in future.
Khun Thawee thinking about the trip up to the dam.
taffy.jpg

Peter is thinking, I am not sure about what I think he was a pirate in a former life.
peter.jpg

So off up to the dam, a beautiful view of it on the way up, but could not really study, as watching the road, sometimes a dilemma in biking, enjoy riding the bends or enjoy the scenery.
damagain.jpg

dam.jpg

damwallandpipes.jpg

The power station and its pipes quite an impressive construction
dampipes.jpg

After the dam, down to the lake for food. Beautiful scenery, cool with the rain.
lakeandmountains.jpg

Tony lucky guy, able to enjoy his biking and his family, for me it is usually a choice of one or the other. Peter here refusing to look as Tony threatens to give an impromptu swimming lesson.
Howver on this ocassion we were all able to enjoy his family as other pics have already shown
hellouncleFranz.jpg

A safe solo trip to Khorat, Udon Thani on Saturday, and then back to KK on the Sunday. 2100 km covered and not one policemen encountered, but then it would not have been a problem because we never exceed 90kph!!!!
Thanks to all and will look forward to the next one.

Sep 4, 2007
Sorry swimming lesson picture missed out here it is
youwilllearntoswim.jpg

And in case it was not clear, I changed the tyre on the way home, by then really quite bald on one side.
Left the back tyre as only half worn, now Pirelli on the front and Bridgstone on the back. Seems to work great, probably against all the rules.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
John, being with all of you makes me always smile and laugh, you must understand, while working, there's no laughs and once coming home I always get sad as 1.) when opening the fridge, nothing interesting in there as beer has been depleted by someone I know as PD, 2.) looking into the bedroom, nothing interesting in there either, 3.) opening the purse, nothing in there too..........so you see it's only when we are together I'm smiling............ :p .
Finally I've got some shots from Ed:

ready to go at the PTT near Bowin
readytogo.jpg

and another traffic light on 331
anothertrafficlighton331.jpg

Policeman from the US or mafia I wonder
policemanormafia.jpg

meeting up with Tony and John
meetingJohnTony.jpg

pasttime activity 1
usualthingwhilenotdriving.jpg

all bikes on the Srinakarin Dam
srinakarindam-allbikes.jpg

Hotel on the Srinakarin dam
floatinghotel.jpg

pasttime activity 2
eatingagain.jpg

and John in a curve, taking it slowly with the worn tyre....
Johninacurve.jpg

Well and finally Ed with his dreambike :lol: :oops:
Edwithhisdreambike.jpg

Looking forward to the next trip with all and hopefully even more of you guys, cheers, Franz

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Thanks John.

Great shots especially of the Dam.

Glad you got your front tyre sorted and Franz and myself are thinking of getting up to Yamaha in Korat for the wheel balancing.

Hope to see you in Khao Yai.

Dec 27, 2007
What great pictures!

John- I can't thank you enough for sending the wonderful pictures of my wife and son. I think you've just guaranteed me a "get out of jail free" pass from the missus :lol:

Can't wait for the next ride! Khao Yai is a beautiful spot to ride with amazing roads and easy access. Just have to watch out for all the monkeys!

Look forward to riding with all of you again soon! (Hopefully Ed will be on 2 wheels rather than 4 for the next ride!) :wink:

Happy Trails,

Tony and family 8)

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Eddie!

Absolutely we must do it again! I will return to Thailand in late January and plan to ride ride ride!

Hope to see you then.

Warm regards,

Tony and Nong and Little Mir
120608SaMoengFmlySm.jpg