Pikey Tour 10.02.09 to 13.02.09

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Tuesday 10.02.09 Meet at X Centre 1000 hrs

9 Riders are Jeff Pike ( Leader)- Triumph 866 Bonny, Neil - 400/4, Rob - 400/4, Ben - D Tracker 250, Richy African Twin 750, Ally - Yammy Cruiser 1100, Kevin - Kawa 250, Big Ray - Kawa ER-6N, Ken ( Tailend charlie) - Faser 1000

Distance 1160 Km's, Four Day Ride of GT North to East Nan

Left X Centre 1045hrs heading north on 107 after Ian and Con both had a test ride on the hire shop ER-6N. Handling and speed (+205kph) was impressive but discovered the oil sump drain plug was not tight so leaking oil - retensioned and off we went.

First stop for strech Neil's battery was dead had no luck finding a replacement so will sort in Chiang Rai. We had several stops one for lunch we meet up with 4 riders on tour with GTR member. Ally has already written a report about first day with photo's as I had no camera for this trip it was required for work in Chiang Mai my apologises.
Two observations day 1 always slow down while riding thru a built up area as the bloody dogs seem to always cross the road in front of bikes. The second traffic light intersections as entering Chiang Rai the road surfaces were very slippery causing wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd everyone experienced this.

Arrived Chiang Rai and booked into the Orchid Guesshouse it was clean with friendly staff at 450 baht per room. We all went out for Italian for dinner with lots of drinks until the early hours of the morning.

Wednesday morning Ally was off back to CNX and local David L. and his wife rocked up to show us the way to a lovely resort overlooking Chiang Saen Lake on 1016 - the roads were a bit rough with potholes everywhere. We ate lunch then Ian (resort owner) showed us his 2 Triumphs he is rebuilding 1969 & 1971 models. Now the hangovers were disappearing at last. We left resort on minor back roads again to Sop Ruak ( Golden Triangle) had a quick look and then travelled 1290 to Chiang Sean following the river right around thru Chiang Saen on 1129. Still following the river around on 4007 bloody lovely scenic road, arrived Chiang Khong its a smallish town and we had to use two hotels and a quite night was had by all.

Thursday left 1000hrs after breakfast following the Mekong river again absolutely stunning but shit road surface, followed the 1155 south down to 1021. We stopped at Chiang Kham for lunch at a new Tesco store then we were off to travel Pikey's fav road the 1148 which he made a video of. The road was enjoyable with fast twisty bends but on 3 occassions the side of road was collapsing so be aware. This is when 2 bike owners realised their tyre pressures were far too low for good corner handling 22PSI a bad blue, very slow and sluggish in and out of corners.

We arrived at Nan 5PM at a good hotel opposite the night market in the middle of town sorry forgot Thai name 500baht a night and secure bike parking. Everyone cleaned up and refreshed we walked 0.5 km north to a local resturant just off the main drag Thai food was good - Pizza was bad but beer cold. The hotel has a mini-bus service so for 100 baht saw the sights of town which is not too big but the airport direction was ok.

Friday the group of 8 dropped to 6 as a couple of riders decided to enjoy Nan for one more day and after breakfast approx 0900 hrs we headed off on 1091 another scenic hilly ride, then 1251 to Phayao for lunch on the lake. Hire bikes were due back that day so we off again back tracking on 120 then 118 to Doi Saket were I said goodbye to the main group and travelled the bypass road to Sankamphaeng and home.

It was a very enjoyable 4 day ride incident free with a friendly group of riders that just wanted to enjoy their bikes, roads and the beauty of the GT. Thanks to everyone for the experience, highly recommended.

Ken Fabisik

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Good one mate ! Good on ya. (Does that sound aussie enough?)

Great to see you posting this about the ride.

Ally

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ken
Many thanks for the report. It sounds like you had a good time alright with a variety of bikes.
If that was your first time on 1148 - was it worth it & how do you rate it?

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Ally that would be " good onya mate " to be correct - cheers.

Captain not sure of name but PM you my phone number.

Dan we are out of here because of smoke. I am still waiting for French visa but expect to be off to work soon. Can only suggest keep eye on the board or post your own run or see if Ally is up for it now she has her bike back. Good to hear your still around - so I lost you in Nan. (hehe)

Yes Dave first time for the 1148 it was excellent I want to do it again now that I have changed things on my bike - I rode it slowly as my bike felt wrong, my tyres were at 22 and 24 psi manual says 36 and 39 psi. - I have reduced the front fork spring preload by 30% for softer feel and more feedback - While on tour my front brake turned to shit so could not use ended up being a fliud blockage, now all good. Yeah I could enjoy riding these sort of roads around Thailand on a more regular bases.

Cheers Ken

Apr 23, 2006
Think Ken means local David & his wife showed up!
Enjoyed the ride & everyone's company for the day - a nice group of people. Hope to ride with you all again sometime.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
My apologises David Learmonth I have changed trip report, thanks for your help. Yes it was a top day. 4 weeks after trip I am sure I got other details wrong as well.

Regards Ken F

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
Ken,

A few pics (not great) as you were all leaving our hotel, Viang Yonok, at Chiang Saen Lake.
Great to see you all drop in and have lunch. Hope to see you guys again sometime.
By the way, the '71 Tiger is in regular use (last day out run with the North Siam Roadrunners a few days earlier). The #1 mia noi is a '59 Thunderbird, was running great till I hit that storm drain after the front brake failed. Should be on the road again later this year.
I'll make it over to the Chiang Mai bike week one of these years.

Ian

GTRViangYonokFeb0905.jpg

GTRViangYonokFeb0904.jpg

GTRViangYonokFeb0903.jpg

GTRViangYonokFeb0902.jpg

GTRViangYonokFeb0901-1.jpg

Apr 23, 2006
Very good photos Ian! Unusually for me I am not - scowling, snarling, blinking or anything else that might spoil a good photo.
Get that Tiger clutch done ASAP, we are still out most Sundays & Wednesdays.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Thanks for the top photo's Ian of riders and your resort. Your input is the only pics of the trip as I left my camera in CNX as wife needed, she took shots of a new listing as sells real estate. Yes your resort was a beautiful spot to stop for a great lunch and for me to chill out as maybe I had a little to much to drink the night before. I know I got the details wrong regarding your triumphs, hey but it was gtreat to see them. I once owned a 1969 Truimph Saint ex cop bike from Queensland Aust - she had a 32mm mikuni carb which used to blow the occassional flame out of the home made 2 into 1 exhaust system. Hope you do make it to Chiang Mia one day and the bike week is a good time as there is a great buzz around the town, in my view anyhow.
I am in Hua Hin presently to escape the smoke - it rained here today fist time in 5 months, I hope it rains up North soon.

Regards Ken F

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
David,

Thanks for posting this. The Friends of Yonok Wetlands project is run by Mick Davies and Dowroong Damlamajak. Mick is a very experienced ornithogolist, been watching & studying birds for over 30 years in UK and Thailand. His wife Dowroong is also very a knowledgeable naturalist.
They have been working hard over the last few years to try to protect the local wildlife around Chiang Saen and in the Yonok wetlands, to the southwest of Chiang Saen lake. This beautiful area is home to many species of birds, some very rare. In the wetlands are also two harrier roosts, which are the biggest in the world for the Eastern Marsh Harrier and Pied Harrier.
Some evenings you can see up to 500 birds coming in to roost, just at sunset. This morning we saw 7 harriers gliding around over the lake, as this month is when they start to arrive from up north.
This area is constantly under threat by hunting in various forms, mist nets, trapping and shooting etc. plus those people who want drain the wetlands and turn it into a golf course or more orange orchards and pineapple fields. It would be a great natural loss if this wetland area is drained.
Mick and Dowroong do all their work and patrolling with their own funds. Please see the website below for more info and support them if you can;

http://yonokwetlands.awardspace.com/index_home.html

keep the rubber down
Ian