Plan a journey, one step at a time!

brat

Aug 15, 2005
We're leaving Port Kelang (malaysia)on our Buell Ulyses the 8th December 2006, the only must dos so far;
Malaysia: Batu Caves (Rock Climbing),
Thailand: Railey (Rock Climbing), Phi Phi(Rock Climbing), Chiang Mai (~70k to Thai Elephant Conservation Centre 3 days)
Myanmar: (maybe)
Laos:
Leaving from either (time constraints and bike entry)
Cambodia:
Vietnam: Ha Long bay (Rock Climbing)

Given we must leave to get back to Oz 13th January, we leave Port Kelang, where to first?

Thanks in advance!

"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!"

brat

Aug 15, 2005
I've had to shorten the trip due to work commitments, and as I work 2,000 miles from home and get to play with my Uly every 4 weeks I'm getting it ready for December when we're off into Asia for 6 weeks....wooohooo!!!

Our trip planning last night at a local (Melbourne0 Malaysian restaurant, they have paper table-cloths!

trip_info.jpg

HHEELLPP! :)

As pictured it has 50w driving lights added (the whole lot come on with high beam), race kit, 2" lowered custom seat, Scorpions, CeeBailey 16" windscreen, side cases, soft case on rear (there's a bracket being fabricated to lift it off the tail light) and the bag on the airbox holds 30 lb of rock climbing gear!

muell1.jpg

muell2.jpg

Only have to add my Girlfriend and I when we get to Kuala Lumpur 7.20am December 4th! (did I say woohoo?)

The Airline tickets are now paid for, $3480au for 2 from Melbourne Australia to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 4th December 2006, then return from Bangkok Thailand to Melbourne 14th January 2007, I fly in from Gove Northern Territory at 7.10pm (2,000 mile plane trip) then the midnight flight out to Singapore 5am then KL at 7.15 the next morning!

The shipping details for the Uly are still being sorted, though it looks like Sydney to Port Kelang Malaysia, thanks heaps to Harley Heaven in Melbourne, not only for the great service they gave the Uly but have also offered to provide a shipping crate for the trip to KL!

The crate is 2.4 M3 and the total shipping weight is 210kg and a RM is a Malaysian Ringit, about 2.8 of them to the Aussie Dollar!

Export ex Sydney to Port Kelang, Malaysia

Export freight rate: A$50.00 per cbm
Handling & documents: A$95.00 flat
ECN: A$30.00 flat
*Assuming you will arrange to deliver motorbike. Extra charges will
apply if you require delivery.

Local charges in Malaysia

1. THC - RM45.00 per cbm
2. D/O,EDI, Disbursement - RM230.00
3. Doc,Handling & Fwdg - RM220.00
4. EDI Fees - RM33.00
5. Storage - at cost
6. 5% tax on item no.3 & 4
7. Custom Examination - RM110.00/for Motorbike

The freight out is approx $500au and $800au to get the Uly back to Melbourne!

Oops, Passage de Carnet is $1105au

This is getting expensive!

Nov 14, 2004
Matey, sounds like a great trip, keep the post'n picks com'n.
send some clim'n shots, not the ones of you go'n splat!!
The Uly should turn heads in asia, can you loft the front?
Scott

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Trying to keep the front down with all the gear on is difficult, unless you ride it like a 250! :)

Yep, this board's been great so I'll return the favour!

brat

Aug 15, 2005
MMMMMmmm problem, we originally were taking an indefinite amount of time to do this trip, due to commitments we are now having to do it in 6 weeks! The problem is that the time is far less but our wishlist of destinations has remained, the result is thus...

destination time taken date
Kuala Lumpur 2 days 4-5 'december 2006
KL to Krabi 3 days 6-8
Phi Phi 2 days 9-10
krabi to old capital 3 days 11-13
old capital to Chiang Mai 2 days 14-15
Elephant camp 3 days 16-18
Chiang Mai 2 days 19-20
Golden triangle to vientiane 3 days 21-22
vientiane to Luang Prabang 2 days 23-25
luang prabang to Hanoi 2 days 26-27
hanoi 2 days 28-29
Halong bay 1 day 30
halong bay to Saigon 4 days 31-3 'january 2007
Saigon to Phnom Phen 2 days 4-5
Phom Phen to siem riep 2 days 6-7
Siem riep 2 days 8-9
Siem riep to Bangkok 2 days 10-11
Bangkok 2 days 12-13

delray

Aug 8, 2006
Sounds like a fun trip you've got planned, I can strongly recommend the roads in Northern Thailand. Passing through Malaysia, make sure to include Fraser Hill and the Cameron Highlands if you have time. I'm interested to see you've got Saigon on your schedule and wondered how you are getting around the difficulties normally experienced with trying to take big bikes into Vietnam?

brat

Aug 15, 2005
It has been described to me as the "Genghis Khan master travel
plan to conquer SE Asia by motorcycle" by one unkind soul! :eek:)

Cameron Highlands is on the agenda, Fraser Hill seemed very "touristy", western rather then malaysian, what did you like about it?

Vietnam is going to be a "suck it and see" exercise, if it's too hard we'll come back on another trip and try it, China, Korea and Japan, we may get delayed or side tracked, we're flexible!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by brat

It has been described to me as the "Genghis Khan master travel
plan to conquer SE Asia by motorcycle" by one unkind soul! :eek:)

Cameron Highlands is on the agenda, Fraser Hill seemed very "touristy", western rather then malaysian, what did you like about it?

Vietnam is going to be a "suck it and see" exercise, if it's too hard we'll come back on another trip and try it, China, Korea and Japan, we may get delayed or side tracked, we're flexible!

Well you've gotta be real good to do all that in 6 trouble free weeks, & especially with a female pillion riding shotgun. It going to be real interesting to see how it all pans out.
I'm pleased that the GT Rider board has a great help, and look forward to reading your trip reports as they come in.......woohoo as she goes I reckon. So see ya for a coldie at the Kafe in Chiang Mai then.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Brat,
Long time no talk to, the trip you are about to embark on took me 12 months! Ok I didn't have a girlfriend to lug along or a fast Harley, only poor old Doris (my Dakar) who fell in love with every little Honda she met in every little village between Singapore and Seonoukville Cambodia.
I wish you well, as it is the end of the dry season, and well... many things unexpected can happen in Asia. Why don't you just throw away your itenery and just enjoy the ride, see what happens, you can always come back again. You really need more than 6 weeks, 2 days from Cambodia to Bangers, those Harleys must get along! Do some reseach on the roads. As I said, its better not to plan to much, after all I was on my way to Europe and I bought a bloody town house in Koh Samui!
As far as Vietnam goes,in your dreams, unless you caught the Vietnamese screwing a goat and he owes you a favour! We tried over 6 border crossings.
I went out and bought a Triumph Speed Triple just to keep up with you guys, see you back in Oz.
Have a wonderful trip.

Once u go Asian, forget about Caucasian

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Brat-

I have to agree with Tom Forde. Your itinerary is pretty unrealistic if you plan on actually enjoying your time in any of the places. Half the fun is stopping along the way and just deciding as you go where you want to linger or hurry on. Tom and I did quite a few K's together in Thailand and Laos, the enjoyment was always what we found along the way and seldom the destination.

What are you going to do for 3 days at the "elephant camp"? Unless you are going to take part in the "mahout training" or something, half a day is more than enough. They are all about the same.

It looks like you are trying to include a lot places so you can say "been there, done that" but you really won't have much of the experience if you don't slow down and make/meet some friends along the way.

Anyway, wish you well and enjoy the trip. Maybe see you at the Kafe.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
I also agree that the schedule is far too ambitious unless it is Ride Eat Sleep Repeat and you are comfortable with looking at Asia our of your helmet all the time.

Vietnam. It's a roll of the dice and the dice are loaded against you. I have gone over several times with a Honda 250 Degree but it had papers(cough). Laws on import/export are changing and I am not convinced that temporary importation will be allowed anytime soon. This is based on talks with a higher than normal offical for Customs dealing with transport/import issues.

Ride Smart, Ride Safe.

brat

Aug 15, 2005
The elephant camp is the 3 day Mahout thing at the TECC, we did it in 2004 and enjoyed it, highly recomended to elephant lovers!

We are very flexible, and highly likely to even change the date we're at the TECC, it's a wish list only, done when we had heaps of time. Is there anything that would be a "must do", keep in mind we are outdoorsie?

Definitely like to catch up with everyone in Chiang Mai, put faces to names! :eek:)

Chees
Brat

delray

Aug 8, 2006
Hi Brat, In answer to your question about Fraser Hill, yes you're right it is touristy when you reach the complex and golf course at the top. However, my recommendation was really refering to the fantastic ride up there. I try to stay off the expressways wherever possible and prefer to explore the back roads. The road from Raub is 30km of back to back 2nd and 3rd gear hairpins on nice smooth tarmac climbing steeply to the summit with great views along the way. Keep on going over the top and the road down the Western side is a gentler descent made of beautiful long sweeping, fast curves (sounds like my missus - before she took up eating full time). As a route, if you're heading North up Malaysia, I'd stay in Malakka overnight, head off on route 9 which is a really nice A-road full of fast 4th and 5th gear bends, turn off at Raub, up and over Fraser hill and then head for the Cameron Highlands or KL for the night. Avoid the weekends and you'll have the road pretty clear. Enjoy!

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Thanks delray, sounds fantastic, will take your advice, did you do any side trips?

brat

Aug 15, 2005
I got this info from the Malaysian Consulate in Aust. Looks like i don't need a Carnet De Passage, $800au save! :eek:)
IMPORTATION OF MOTORCYCLE OR VEHICLE BY TOURIST

A visitor or tourist may import duty free one motorcycle or vehicle to Malaysia subject to the following conditions.

That the motorcycle or vehicle has been registered in the country of origin by the authority responsible for registering or licensing such vehicles.
The motorcycle or vehicle must be covered by an International Circulation Permit under the Road Transport Regulations.
That motorcycle or vehicle will be exported from Malaysia within 3 months of the date of import. If they vehicle is not taken out of Malaysia before then, Customs Duty and Sales will have to be paid.
The owner of the vehicle must complete the clearance forms provided by Customs, Police and the Transport Department. These forms can be obtained from Customs when collecting the motorcycle or vehicle on arrival in Malaysia.
The driver must possess a valid International Driving Licence.
Third Party Insurance must also be taken out on arrival in Malaysia before driving the motorcycle or vehicle on Malaysian roads.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT:

Public Relations Unit
Royal Customs Malaysia

9th Floor, Block 9, 2G18

Ministry of Finance Complex

Precinct 2

Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Perseketuan 62602 Putrajaya

(the new Federal Administrative District outside Kuala Lumpur)

Tel: (603) 8882 2190 or 8882 2300

Fax: (603) 8889 5895

Website: http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... hichpage=2

Email: [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

Road Transport Dept of Malaysia
Level 4, Block D4, Parcel D

Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Perseketuan 62616 Putrajaya.

Tel: (603) 8886 6400 Fax: (603) 8888 9645

Website. www.jpj.gov,my

Email: [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

Royal Malaysia Police Bukit Aman 50560 Kuala Lumpur Tel: (603) 2262 62222

brat

Aug 15, 2005
PS, have extended the stay on Phi Phi to 3 days and now stay at the Elephant camp 19-21st! Throw the itinerary out the window! :eek:)

brat

Aug 15, 2005
As I've said in another thread here, the bike is now packed and on it's way to Sydney to be shipped to KL (IWe pick it up 4th December), the container is to be packed down and fowarded to Bangkok, we ride through to there and the bike gets sent to the USA on the 15th January!

231148.jpg

It looks as though we won't need a CDP, save $800 woohooo!

We'll be in Krabi around 10th to 15th and will need storage for the bike, anyone know a local storage facility please?

skip

Jun 1, 2006
hey there its taken me ages to get round to surfing this page....jeez wish you could have been a fly on the wall over the past few months. We've just done almost the same trip and all I can say is just throw the whole damn itinerary out of the window...i planned for 2 yrs and besides having the carnet all perfect..every other idea never happened.We had the most AWESOME time....by the way I am the female pillion!!!(When you get there go into a dept store and get the Thailand A to Z road atlas ...it was a god send!!!)
There is no point telling you our whole trip but hers a few really good leads.
In Malaysia the BEST ever stop is KANCIL GUEST HOUSE ph 281 4044, in MELAKA....its very biker friendly...Daud the owner is very bike orientated..has a huge garden for the bike and is only 5 mins from the centre.His hero by the way is Tom Forde...see previous post.
At some point take the new highway either up or down to the Cameron Highlands to Ipoh...man thats hellish good riding..its new and empty.The Cameronian Inn there has been a good safe place to stay with the bike too.
For a chilled stop try Kuala Kangsar...on the old highway road north from the Cameron Highlands tp Penang.
In Thailand...if you are going to Krabi..venture further to Ao Nang and stay at PK Mansions. Great base for rock climbing. They let us keep our bike there undercover in their old restaurant area. They were very friendly and warmly welcomed us back on our return 3 months later and charged us low season rates too!(Room 307 is the pick!!!)
On the way north take your time and look in at Prachup Khiri Khan (Yuttichai Hotel has indoor parking)....amazing views from the temple...and then up to Kanchanaburi on the back roads....all easy....look up Maarten.(www.maartensworld.com)...a dutch friend of the GT and horizonsunlimited mobs.AWESome riding around here.
If this hasnt inspired you to drop all preconcieved plans well then do your original stuff...but I reckon it wont happen!!!
As for Vietnam ..its not possible they have definitely made it a 175cc and under ruling..dont waste your energy on this trip...maybe next time!Myanmar said no at 3 borders and China is a totally different ball game...we tried!!!
Laos is all fantastic but please please please use Davids GT map...and if it says that its not suitable for a bike..it isnt.we learnt the hard way...by the way dont trust the road markers!!The funny thing was that everyone we met told us the "very best biking road is....."well it was every one and any one....just not highway 3..into N THAILAND...still using cranes to lift vehicles over the washed out road!
Cambodia....well if you still want to be speaking to the pillion....think very carefully. The road from Poipet to Angkhor was the biggest challenge for us. On the way in it was 2 days of a dust bath...impossible visibility, crazy traffic and a none existant road. The overnight stop we made in Sisaphon was not one of our best decisions .....almost suffocated in red dust and poverty...to cut a very long story short the same road a week later was thick red glutinous mud...just a nightmare...no fun...esp as they were mine sweeping the road edges as we passed by!
Our mates took our advice and went in via Hat Lek..and basically had a much worse time...their photos outrank ours in mud...
Anyway thats just a couple of bits and pieces..
We basically were going to "do" Thailand in 3 weeks and Malaysia in 10 days...we spent 3 months just in these 2 countries and can not wait to go back....then need another 3 months in Laos.
Keep your mind open, avoid all the commercial trash. You can ride along side wild elephants in Khao Yai national Park and swim with monkeys in Khao Sok national park...you can stay in a hilltribe village en route to Phonsovan..where the only english they know is "big moto...." and "you want noodle soup?"and you can race the tealeaf-carrying Series 1 Landrovers through the Cameron Highlands...
Almost finished...we did 20,000km...in Laos we were counting up to 20 gear changes a Km....we laughed everyday,took millions of pictures and wasted too much time thinking of when and where and not just doing it........
Enjoy.....
R&S

delray

Aug 8, 2006
Hey Skip, thats a really interesting post and very useful for lots of us....thanks for taking the time to write it. I'm planning a ride up to Laos for January/February next year and currently doing the research. Have you posted details of your route and photos etc anywhere on the web so I can take a look?
Thanks again.

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Skip, ye Daud is a cool guy, rides a 450 Honda Cruiser, I spent a week with him telling tall stories to the young back packers and laughing our heads off.
I definately reccommend his hospitality.
Anyone going through Malaka say hello for me.
The Cameron Highlands are a good introduction on what to expect in Northern Thailand

Cheers

Link removed

skip

Jun 1, 2006
sorry no web site...we were too busy riding to be bothered with internet cafes and now we are back home its just finding the time...it will happen though!!!
To Tom....well you were our asian inspiration...and we met Daud through your rec'. Just a bit of bad news though Tom...whilst we were there Fatima, his wife suddenly died of cancer...he was obviously devastated but is going to continue the guest house.If possible could you drop him a line as he always asks about you.....just an idea!
Must get back to working on the next post
Rachel and Skip

Jul 6, 2004
sorry to hear that Skip, I have Daud's email. so I will get in touch with him.

Cheers

Link removed

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
Brat,
nice to hear u leaving port klang on the 8/december,that means i can meet u ..any place and have a dinner with u..cos on 29 november i will be leaving to Hua Hin/kok samui for Hua Hin bike week and arrived back to kuala lumpur on the 7th of december.pls sms or call me /e-mail me [email [email protected]][email protected][/email] . h/phone 012-2568742.i will meet u at any place ur familier in kuala lumpur..and we can have a dinner or u can stay at my house.outskirt of town around 20km from kuala lumpur..did u know Kajang. [:D][8D]
just to inform u on december is monsoon especially ride to cross to combodia from poipet to siemn rap...[:D].anyway we can discuss went we meet..ok bret ..cu later
[:D]

brat

Aug 15, 2005
My apologies as we must leave KL on the 5th or 6th Dec, we are locked in to stay at TECC on the 19-21st so we can't hang around KL too long!

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
brat is ok...u cathing a time...if i can back early to kl from kok samui i will meet u..anyway if u feel u hv a time just ring me up..
hv a nice journey brat