Planning A 2 Week Trip To Myanmar - Request Up-to-date Info On Border Crossings, Permits, Tour Guide

Louis Harrewijn

Oct 23, 2018
In January 2019 I am planning to do a trip with a good friend to Myanmar. We will be riding a Singapore registered Yamaha Super Tenere and a Thailand registered BMW (baby) G310GS.

I have been searching the GT riders forum about up to date information about Myanmar, but the information found seems not to be very recent.

Are there any fellow bikers who have recently done a trip to Myanmar?

Questions we have…

1. Which border crossings (from Thailand to Myanmar) are allowed for motorcycles (information I gathered is that border crossings towards Dawei and Mae Sot are possible, Northern Thailand apparently still difficult)
  2. Is there a way to avoid the (apparent) compulsory guided tour in Myanmar? Is there a way to get a ‘permit’ to drive in Myanmar without having to engage a motorcycle touring company? How to organize this, any recommendations are welcome
  3. Are there any restrictions within Myanmar (other than no bikes allowed in Yangon)?
  4. We are having a loop in mind: Mae Sot, Moulmain, Kyaiktho, Yangon, Pyay, Bagan, Mandalay, Amarapura, Inle Lake, Kunhing, Kengtung and back to Thailand. Any other routs (not to miss) suggestions?
  5. Are there any areas to avoid during the trip due to recent conflicts?

We appreciate your assistance and look forward to hearing from you.

Merry Xmas & Happy NY and safe riding.....
Cheers,

Louis

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
As David mentions - guides and permits are mandatory for foreign vehicles in Myanmar. So answer to your second question is NO.

1. Mae Sot - Myawaddy and Mae Sai - Tachilek is the bordercrossings that are open for foreign crossings. Although the latter I think you have to travel through some restricted area. But Im not 100 % sure about it.

3. There are definetively restricted areas and its quite complexe to tell exactly where. But this netsite should gove an idea if you push the «restricted area» link: http://www.myanmartourism.org/index.phpoption=com_content&view=article&id=419&Itemid=393

4. Im not that well known in Myanmar but it seems you have got the main highlights in there.

5. Im not updated on this issue. Maybe others can help?