Pottering around Nan

Jul 25, 2010
Headed off to Nan through Phayao to have a look at some of the famed roads around the East and South of Nan and there there were no disappointments. Some road works on the 1081 heading to Klua made the going a bit tough for a while and washed away parts of the 1081 going to Ngom Pao keeps you on your toes but other than that, what fantastic roads and views.
Stopped for a visit to the temple on the lake in Phayao guided by a boatman who, I am sure, is Ray Charles Thai brother
web.jpg

Out at the temple, I discovered how to keep boats in good health when they are not being used
web.jpg

Headed off to Nan on the 1251. Lovely stuff
web.jpg

and the harvest is in full swing
web.jpg

with stunning scenery all around
web.jpg

Stopped for lunch at Ban Sa and this noodle lady was really happy. 'I see many farangs on bikes passing by but they have never stopped at my restaurant. You are the first'.
Good grub too
web.jpg

Took a look at Wat Khao Noi in Nan. Great views all around
h
web.jpg

and a very high Nan river
web.jpg

The 1243 is a ripper
web.jpg

with again wonderful scenery all around
web.jpg

We stayed at the Sasidara Resort in Nan which was 1000 baht p/n with breakfast. Very nice place indeed
web.jpg

Going up the 1169 surrounded by mountains, so fabulous views
web.jpg

Stopped in Klua where there is now a coffee shop. Bit bright for my taste but you cant miss it
web.jpg

Kids fishing with masks and spears on the way to Ngom Pao on the 1081
web.jpg

On the 1162 we stopped for lunch at the national park. Must have been a big flood to get those boats all the way up there
web.jpg

Many good views of the Nan river along the way
web.jpg

and yet still, the roads were sheer joy to ride
web.jpg

Spent the night at Sirikit Reservoir. Early evening beers and a splendid view over the reservoir
web.jpg

and if you have a spare hydro electric turbine hanging around in your garage, it can be put to good use in the middle of a roundabout. Its only a bit of brass afterall
web.jpg

On the way home to Chiang Mai via Uttaradit the, 1045 must have been built by the Romans. Dead straight for kilometer after kilometer but the roadworks on route 11 after Uttaradit up to Den Chai are a nightmare on a bike. If you are going that way, take another route however far out of your way it takes you. Didnt take any pictures of that. Far too grumpy! :take-that:

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Edited by Auke

Deleted smaller photo's in my message as photo's in original post did show up later.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
backdoorphil wrote: The original photo's were jerky while loading here, too big i think

[quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]Ron-Auke;

All Ron's photos showed up fine in his original post on my computer.
Yes, smaller is preferred, but it all depends on the luck of the internet connection ( Mine varies daily and is never what one would consider fast).

Jul 25, 2010
Not being a lap top person, I dont know what happened there but it seems to work right now. I just worked the same way as with previous posts. Thanks Auke for the assistance.

Jul 25, 2010
By the way, and I forgot to mention, that at Dok Kham Tai, at the end of a straight piece of road heading to Nan just out of Phayao, there was some blokes in casual dress sitting on the side of the road behind a battered old red pick up truck with a camera pointing down the road towards the traffic. In the town there was the local constabulary pulling people over. As I didnt get stopped I cant confirm one was attached to the other but might be worth watching out for.