Purchase second hand bike in another province

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by ken, Oct 6, 2013.

  1. ken

    ken New Member

    I am thinking about purchasing a used Honda Phantom located in another province and riding it to my province to register in my name. The bike is currently registered in a Thai name. What do I need from the current Thai owner in order to transfer the ownership in my province? Also, if the bike is not current on it's registration (for example 2 years old), is that any problem once I try to register it in my province?
  2. Loading...

  3. No problem Ken, every day occurrence! The seller has to sign the green book and you both have to sign a Thai Vehicle Ownership Transfer form..... you can download one and print off, or go to a Vehicle Licensing Centre to get one, or ask any big 2nd hand bike shop if they will give you one. You will have to get a Confirmation of Residency certificate from Immigration Police or your Consulate, depending on which province you live in, how quickly they have moved with current legislation etc etc. Obviously, as with everything Thai, go equipped with passport, copies of, and throw a couple passport photos in, just for good measure, they may want 'em!
    Anyone else? Have I forgotten anything?
  4. Billy Baht

    Billy Baht Ol'Timer

    I think the Thais call this Gan Loy or Floating Transfer. There are two forms: 1 Transfer Form; 2 Power of Attorney Form.

    You will also need a signed copy of the Thai owners government ID Card.

    Martin gave you good advice, re Residency Lettery, seller signs the Green Book.

    Its not as complicated as it sounds, so go for it and let us know how it went :)
  5. johngooding

    johngooding Ol'Timer

    Yes, if the seller is not there at the transfer, he/she needs to provide you a signed Power of Attorney form and a signed copy of his ID card. Tried to delete this as Billy posted same advice while I was typing. Cannot delete so please accept confirmation of his advice
  6. ken

    ken New Member

    Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Now I need to correct my original post to say that the Phantom is Farang owned and registered in his name and he is the seller. The bike is current in registration and not two year over due as originally thought. I already have a motorcycle in my name but it was done in my province and with the help of the brother-in-law who was the previous owner, so I pretty much know what I had to do, which was get the immigration letter of residence. So now, I think I understand I need a vehicle transfer of ownership form signed by the owner and a power of attorney signed by the owner and a signed copy of his passport. I do not know yet whether he is currently on an O visa or extension of same, but am wondering if this is a requirement and do I need him to provide a letter of residency from immigration?
  7. ^ A Farang seller will need a Letter of Residency, yes. Some (maybe all?) Immigration Depts have stopped doing these now, so you may have to get it from your Consulate, which if you're a Brit in Chiang Mai is very hassle free, but phaeng maak!
  8. Billy Baht

    Billy Baht Ol'Timer

    Same here in Chonburi/Pattaya. I sold my CBR150r to a fellow farang residing in Pattaya and Pattaya DLT made me get a new Residence Letter. I had a copy of the Residence Letter that I had used to buy the CBR250R, it was only 15 days old, but they still made me get a new copy. 300 baht at Pattaya Immigration.

    OT, but when I bought the CBR250R in Sukhothai, they accepted a scanned color copy of the original residence letter. Lucky for me, because when I transfered the bike to Chonburi, i had to give (Chonburi) DLT a Residence Letter as well. There won't be many trees left in Thailand...

Share This Page