Questions about Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Apr 30, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'll be going to Thailand soon, in about a month. I'm interested in taking a bike from chiang rai to chiang khong. From what I can find in the forum so far, the two motorbike rental places in Chiang Rai both only hire the more expensive bikes (1000bht/day and upwards...), why is that? Would I be able to get the 250bht/day kind of bike there?
Also, what's the general policy regarding one-way trips? Are these possible? Is there any way I could ride to Chiang Khong and hand the bike to someone else and travel onwards?

If the answers to these questions are in the forum already, I'd really appreciate a link or specific keywords to search up. I've looked around but can't find anything. Thanks so much!

Sep 4, 2007
In the price range you have quoted of 250 Baht a day, you will be able to hire a 125cc Automatic scooter. There will be a number of shops and also some guest houses which hire out these bikes, they probably do not advertise on the internet and are not much discussed here. I do not believe you will find a shop that will let you hire in CR and leave in CK, not unless the same family has a shop in both places, which I am not aware is the case. You would not need to book a scooter in advance and once you have chosen your accommodation, they will probably help you find the nearest scooter hire place.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Just to add to Johh's comments, I would assume you want to drop off in CK because you will be going into Laos? If so, IMO it would be worth taking a few days on the bike/scooter and exploring a bit before crossing over the Mekong. You are already in the neighborhood of some of the best MC roads in Thailand. Why fly all the way over, be on some schedule, and miss the good stuff? Just my $0.02.

Dec 21, 2012
There are two shops situated on Jet Yeod road where you can hire bigger bikes (250cc) both near the new clock tower.

ST motorcycles do not have a web site but have been in town for years and also have some of the cheapest scooter rental in town. Chiang Rai Big Bike rental has a web site you can easily find and cater for 250 cc upwards.

But why not take the hire bike into Laos and have a good time ?

Apr 30, 2013
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

When you say hire a bike into Laos, does that mean i can rent bikes for one-way trips? How does that work?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
gnawgnaw;290823 wrote: Thanks for all the tips everyone!

When you say hire a bike into Laos, does that mean i can rent bikes for one-way trips? How does that work?
Look here
https://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/renting-big-bikes-in-thailand
ST Motorcycle. 1025/34-35 Jed Yod Road. Chiang Rai.
ST also provide a rental service to take bikes to Laos. Minimum 10 days rental. All bikes well prepared & reliable

But I don't think anyone will provide you with a one way rental to Laos.

Also Chiang Rai - Chiang Saen - Chiang Khong, the scenic way via route 1129 = approx 116 kms or about 2 hrs for a first timer.
Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong via Thoen 1020 / 1021 = approx 96.7 kms or 1.5 hrs.

You're probably better off just catching the bus or a song taew.