DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
http://www.kplnet.net/english/news/edn6.htm

Lao Govt invests over US$5mln in improvement road linking Vietnam
(KPL) Lao government decided to invest US$5.3 million in the improvement of road No 16 E links Sekong province of Laos to Da Nang of Vietnam.
Deputy Head of Public Works and Transport Division of Sekong province, Mr Soutthana Sihavong believed that the road would improve the socio-economic development in the province.
The road No 16E with a 69-km stretch would be improved as national road running from Sekong province to Dakcheung district (Lao-Vietnam border checkpoint), which expected the road would be completed by 2013.
This road is a short distance linking southern provinces of Laos to the Danang port in central part of Vietnam.
He said that if the construction completed, it would be a main strategy road for goods transportation between Laos and Vietnam.
The province would get benefit from the improvement of this road, he believed. It would attract more investors to invest in the province and local people will gain higher income.
This road will also link the road No 11 in Champassak province and connects to Ubon province (Thailand), he said.
He continued that it also link the road No 18B in Attapue province which also links the national road of Cambodia.
The development of road No 16E, is the Governments effort to build as the national road of Laos in southern provinces to link the national road of Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand with the aim of creating more convenience for goods transportation, investment as well as tourism.

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
Well as they build, dirt bikers should be riding Laos within the next few years. We are already seeing more and more good dual track get carved up by the machines. Good for local people and trade but sucks when the great rides like 18B become something easy on a step thru.

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Hi Jim,

I totaly agree to what you say! I still remember Chiang Mai, when it all was dirt road, how much fun did I have then. No anoying cars. Muddy in the rain and dusty when dry.

But I'm quiet shure that Laos still has a lot more dirt tracks to offer. It's a shame when business is the only concern, but what the hack can we do.
Countries want to develop.

Cheers Rudi