recap of belgian step for richie scroll to bottom

Jun 21, 2006
The 3rd day of muppeteering began at a gentle 9.30 from mae sai, we wandered out of town missing our one turn off for the morning in true hungover fashion, this then left us with a boring slog on the main road over to chiang saen

DSC05176.jpg

we stopped of for some brekkie in chiang saen and wasted another half hour so that justin could take some photos " for the folks back home in good ol' U.S of A" were his precise words i think. after chiang saen we headed over to ching khong on pretty flat roads again. however it was delightfully punctuated with views of the mekong river,
all fueled up again we set off in search of the 1155 to take us to wiang kaen, the only rest bite now from the midday heat was stopping off at some of justins ex-flames from his previous trips in these parts, whilst amusing at first in soon became annoying when every village became another half hour of flirting and playing with chain lube

DSC05192.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

DSC05252.jpg

now on the 1155 and full speed ahead to pu chee fah we turned off up the hill at the village of pang hat, pu chee fah is well signposted here, the climb of the mountains began in erratic fashion

DSC01534.jpg

DSC05200.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

the drive now was stunning with mountain vistas that stretched for miles and with the clean air was a awesome drive, the drive was not without incident though as following a breathtaking chase down the mountain in pursuit of the green machine i was most unfortunate to clip a patch of gravel on the exit of the corner, my bike was ok thank god and i somehow threaded my way through the kilometre markers in some houdini of an escape from serious injury, my stunning SLEDGEHAMMER jacket though took the worst of the fall...

DSC05214.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

coming down from pu chee fah was a subdued affair for mne as i was still nursing a torn jacket and was miffed at the fact that the red honda was no match for the KLX of justin, scenery again was perfect, we descended onto route 1093, where we were in seach of the 1160 that would hook us up with 1148, after a great deal of direction asking we found our turning, it is signposted as the phu sang national park, and opens up with about 7-8kms of dirt before a section of tarmac and then dirt again up the hill...
the 1160 is another great road for dirt capable bikes...

DSC01564.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

at this turning go right, we'd have paid good money to know that at the time!

DSC01570.jpg

the rain had fallen here recently and altough we stayed dry justins front slick was beginning to become a hinderance....

DSC01572.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

DSC05281.jpg

a mix-up at the team green pits in pang tham left justin really struggling for grip at turns 7 and 8, sack the strategist! what were they thinking??!!

jungle scenery and red jacket..

DSC05277.jpg

the 1160 did indeed hook us up with 1148, and apart from a brief shower we took to the corners with gusto for the last leg into nan province of what had been a long day..
arriving into pua at 8.15 we were both shattered having driven the last 65 kms in the dark, those of you who know justin will know he is no eagle and so he was following the shien from my headlight and in times of oncming traffic i would flash the back brake light to give justin something to aim for.. very energy sapping for both parties involved.. and here we are at the end ...

DSC01581.jpg

we have hundreds of photos from this leg, so expect some more from justin from this day of tomfoolery!..

Davidfl
Revered Old Git
Revered Old Git

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007 20:47 Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:Originally posted by suzukiluke
here we are at the end ...

DSC01581.jpg

we have hundreds of photos from this leg, so expect some more from justin from this day of tomfoolery!..

You guys have been having too much fun. Too much riding, falling off, recovering & literally hitting the road time & time again.
But it wont be all your own way soon as FL is back on his AT, although I'm curently maxed at 100kph before the wonky left arm lets go & 20 kms is the endurance distance limit, but Im coming after you guys (on the asphalt.)
Now how far behind are you with Road & Trip reports......

BignTall
Biker Legend
Biker Legend

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007 03:23 Post subject: Reply with quote
David,

Nice to see you motoring around CNX on the AT!!! FL back in action in more ways than one judging by his interaction with the waitress Smile .

Yep having a ball, sadly like you mentioned well behind on the road reports. Just got back from another two day off road trip through Doi Inthanon and mae Chaem. Some new routes were uncovered for you to add to the map.

Looking forward to sharing some rides soon with the dodgy armed unk.
BarryBBQ
Biker
Biker

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007 04:04 Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for. I felt the need for dirt and asked the muppet gang if I could join them last week and this week.

I'm proud to say that I documented B&T conquering the legendary Belgian Step without the the assistance of anyone to protect him or his bike.

Pix and video here:

http://barrybbq.blogspot.com/2007/06/what-did-you-do-for-fun-today.html

http://barrybbq.blogspot.com/2007/06/this-is-what-i-do.html
honda honky
Leader of The Pack
Leader of The Pack

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007 04:36 Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
great to have you along as always barry!! glad to show you the gnarly trails we have around and of course the infamous belgian step, hope you and big and tall had a good afternoons nap ( although amazing how the big mans energy returns when a night out with 5 drunk hairdressers is mentioned) , just to let you know i have found a trail that connects ob khan national park to the samoeng loop, bingo bango, bidding starts at 500baht fellas.!!
BignTall
Biker Legend
Biker Legend

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007 07:20 Post subject: Reply with quote
" bidding starts at 500baht fellas.!!" No fears, you'll be divulging all 2 bottles of Sam song into the night with the 5 hairdressers...now pass the Red bull.

Another fantastic ride Barry slinging his frame through the tight woods. I'll post photos later Smile to repay Barry.
SilverhawkUSA
Revered Old Git
Revered Old Git

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007 05:52 Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryBBQ and Muppets,

Loved the video. As usual showed Big & Tall's great sense of humor, although he did seem to get up a bit slower than usual. How doe's a rock in the middle of Northern Thailand earn the name "Belgian Step"?[?]
BignTall
Biker Legend
Biker Legend

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007 21:28 Post subject: Reply with quote
The famed wall of rock was introduced to the Muppets by the esteemed enduro race veteran, Gypsyrider who hails from the land of dark chocolate (Belgium). We (Luke, Gypsrider and myself) were out for a fun day of singletrack race simulation out the back of Gypsyriders house on the North Thailand enduro track around Hang Dong way. the race came down the trail and river. Being the experienced team we were we decided to go up the damn trail instead. The frantic pace soon resembled cold molasses as it trickled to a halt when faced with the "sheer" rock wall face.

It then earned its belgium moniker when the Belgian ace scrutinized the lay of the land on the approach and deemed it needed modifying before attempting such a daring climb. We watched intently as Gypsyrider professionally prepared the surface to be conquered by laying out rocks and pebbles for the approach in addition to tying up life threatening, throat throttling moss covered vines.
154739473-M.jpg

Being the youngest rider with the slowest bike it was not difficult to choose Luke as the sacrificial lamb to protect the orange Queen should the prepared surface dare to throw the KTM on its side. He was positioned off the trail to act as a barrier to protect the expensive KTM from becoming impaled on the Pungi bammboo stakes laying in wait at the base of the climb. Once prepped, Gypsyrider breathed life into his Enduro race prepped behemoth that I myself had ridden and deemed too hairy chested for my average frame. The KTM roared into life and had the rock bit dutifully between its teeth. Gypsyrider gunned the engine and dumped the clutch on the approach to the wall of Eiger like proportions. However all was not to plan as the KTM somehow hiccuped
154739477-M.jpg

on the approach to the tailor made launch ramp and threw the Belgiun rider a curve as it bucked him off the back of the saddle. Luckily Gypsyrider got the nose of the KTM over the crest and deposited against a tree. Thereby throwing a gesture of kindness towards Luke and not utilizing his chest as a protective measure against the bamboo for the beloved KTM.

154739482-M.jpg

The rock stair climb is now referred to as the "Belgian Step" in tribute to our own Belgian Member (Gypsyrider) that desires trails of difficulty and feels that gearboxes harboring more than three gears are a waste of time. Here's to you Jan Marc!!!

Just to prove that youth and excuberance don't get away scot free the variation that Luke attempted to skirt the belgian Step was Hang Dongs very own Danube river to the right of the Belgian step. Unbeleivable boat muppeteering ability had Luke at the Helm of the XR wading through the bog of the Danube.

154739437-M.jpg

154739464-M.jpg

The next installment shall include another member of our crew. As of yet unpubliushed pictures of our friendly resident giant doing his own deforestation techniques.
Davidfl
Revered Old Git
Revered Old Git

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007 19:11 Post subject: Reply with quote
Hhmm great pix boys. Again you guys are having too much fun & contributing reports to the board regularly - outstanding stuff.
Now I wonder if I should take the Africa Twin down there for a look at the Belgian Step???
Keep riding, having fun & reporting.
I'll be having a crack at getting past Doi Saket with my underpowered wonky arm today....
BarryBBQ
Biker
Biker

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007 01:25 Post subject: Reply with quote
David,

The Belgian Step is here: N18 43.974 E98 51.804. Approach it east to west to ascend it, west to east to descend. Please be sure to let me know when you're going so I can get pix [Smile]

In case anyone is wondering, I took the safe route - through the water. I thought about trying the step but didn't want to burden my fellow riders with an emergency extraction. Luke? He flew right up the step (too fast to get video) and put the rest of us to shame.

168035555-S.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic The Golden Triangle Rider Forum Index -> North Thailand All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Watch this topic for replies

Jump to:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Thai Motorcycle Forum on phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group | GT Rider Home Page
SEO phpBB

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Lazarus-like, these olden-but-golden posts deserve a repeat performance, especially when they aspire to inspire...

The Muppets have given Richards insights into Thailand that I had hitherto hidden from him.

Now they are providing him with riding styling cues for him to follow too...
:shock:

honda honky wrote:
DSC01534.jpg
Luke's ease at puling a wheelie is legendary - as are his stoppies!
[vide Muppet Race School
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t3889.html]

honda honky wrote:
DSC05200.jpg
B&T showing him how to get it up

honda honky wrote:
DSC01536.jpg
Sleazyrider - the Dennis Hopper shot!

Now the Belgian Step is another hurdle to aim for...

Before attempting to scale this GT Rider "Everest" more training is due

349506474_x9uxU-M.jpg

Today the lad was doing "Nopticals" in the slippery clay course out by Huay Kaew Lake

349506585_na3x2-M.jpg

The "Nop Step" may not have quite the cudos of the Belgian, but whilst still young one can still aspire...

When he's finished cleaning the bikes I'm sure R will post something himself.

Oct 12, 2005
Holy Toledo,

The rugrat seems to halve severed the Nobs umbilical cord with vigor. Further evidenced with rumors floating around Loi Kroi stating Richards in search of a motherly nipple in which to develop the GT-rider suckling skill set.

Good on you Richard.

By the way if you're interested in the bird you fancied at Hotshots with the French mustard companion give us a bell. You know, in the interest of further education. Just trying to better the world with well trained youths to take over from the old guard :D .