Refused exit by Thai customs at Koh Kong

Oct 17, 2006
Both me and Phils wife were refused exit for our thai registered bikes at Koh Kong into cambodia on friday .my Ducati and Soms BMW had valid registration and green books and insurance and Tax disc .......BUT ....neither green book had been updated by the Land Transport office in pattaya or chaiyapum when the Tax was payed recently.

The Pattaya office says this is no longer required as the system is now computerised , but custom says otherwise so if we want to cross the border we need the stamp in our books ....so we were not allowed to take the bike out of Thailand ...Damn....

I will be going to the pattaya office on monday to stir the shit !!!!and get my book stamped.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ONE YEAR AGO WHEN I WENT WITH MY THAI REGISTERED XR400 TO KOH KONG AT HAD LEK. THE THAI IMMIGRATION SAW THAT MY THAI TAX WAS 3 DAYS OVERDUE. I TRIED EVERYTHING ASKING THEM WHY YOU CARE ABOUT UNPAID THAI TAX IN CAMBODIA , I HAVE MY WIFE GO PAY IT EARLY MONDAY MORNING ETC. NOTHING HELPED AND MY FRIENDS WENT TO KOH KONG AND I STAYED AT HAD LEK.. OK WHEN THE TRAFFIC CALMED DOWN THEY KINDLY ACCEPTED MY 1000 BAHT CONTRIBUTION TO THEIR "TEA POT" AND LET ME OUT.

BUT IT IS STRANGE. WHY DOES THE THAI IMMIGRATION BEHAVE SO STRICT WHEN LEAVING THE COUNTRY AND SO 'EASY" WHEN RETURNING...

HIKO

Oct 17, 2006
I dont know HIKO we both had the TAX Discs and they were valid ..its just bureaucracy !!!!!

Aug 3, 2004
Trev the bike passport is still issued for entry into Laos. Last month (18 Jan 2010)I crossed at Chong Mek with 2 Phantoms, both registered in my name, I rode one and my brother rode the other and with. Both had Purple Bike Passports. The process took a while but was clean and pleasant.
When I went into Cambodia in Sep 09 I offered the bike passport but they said - only for Lao.
I am doing a trip report of our Lao trip where I have detailed all the documentation but it's taking a while.
Cheers,
Peter

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Peter, hi Friends,

What is the process to get this purple bike passport ?

Jerry when uou'll had sort it out with the Tax Office in Pattaya, please, let us know how the react as my Green Books for which bikes I paid tax as well are not stamped but got only a small ticket as invoice and proof of payement.

Nov 18, 2008
I tried to cross into Laos at Friendship Bridge ll to Savannakhet 2 months ago and was asked for a mototorbike passport which they told me I couldn't have at the transport office in Maehongson. They insisted and I went to the transport office there and was given a letter, in big block letters in Thai, stating that vehicles other than motorbikes can have a passport but none are issued for motorbikes. I couldn't cross there unless I took it across on a pickup even though I had crossed into Lao at Nan and Chiang Khong in the past with only the paper issued at customs on the Thai side which they called my motorbike passport and was given the necessary document on the Lao side with that paper. I had a day wasted and went south to cross at Pakse with no problem. Go figger. Normally I have to return the papers when I return to Thailand and had no documentation to prove I didn't need the passport so on my return I had copies made of the docs to show I'd entered in the past without the passport. It's interesting to find out that some Thai provinces must issue motorbike passports and others don't and some border crossings require a passport and others don't. Amazing Thailand. :roll:

Aug 3, 2004
Hi Azoulay,
As with most things in Thailand this appears to be "subject to local interpretation" Maybe they just simply don't have the books ?
I have with my last 3 bikes never had any trouble getting a Motorbike Passport. I just go to the Registration Office where the bike is registered and ask and it's all done in 30 minutes for a cost of about 50B.
There is another piece of paper which I always get and that is a Certificate of Registration. Just a piece of paper with all your personal and bike details written out in English. It also has the Anglicised version of your Thai number plate with which you are supposed to cover your Thai plate when you go out of the country, but nobody seems to worry about it.

Cheer,
Peter

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

For my next venue in LOS, I think I will have to dedicate few days for these papers as I'ld like to get the Thai Driving license as well as these Purple books and/or/or Certificate of Registration.

In fact, I much prefer to prepare it in advance when warned such as you all do than to discover it at the last minute and to enter into endless discussions which might happen even...

Being registred in Bangkok, Ladkrabang, where is the best place to go for that ?

Jul 6, 2004
What is happening in the LOS?
I travelled thru in 2004-5 on an Aussy regestered BMW, with a Carnet. No problems at any border crossing except Vietnam of course.
I brought the same bike up last year thru Malaysia and with the same paperwork including Carnet. No problems on the Malaysian side, the Thai Customs at Sadoa give me all types of grief, not recognising a Carnet and only giving me a month on the bike.
Considering I had a 12 month visa with a 90 day continuous entry, I expressed to the Customs that this was unreasonable, no comment ,thats the law.
So now I have an illegal BMW sitting in Thailand with an expired entry visa.
I was also going to tour again through Laos.Cambodia, now even that sounds like it is out.
The Authorities are making it very difficult for Ferangs to travel through Thailand.