Registration or not?

hansg

Sep 11, 2005
I plan a travel to Thailand in february 2006 and I want to buy a bike. In ads I see there is bikes, both with registration and without. How big is the risk to go around on a not registrated bike? How will the police react? My first thought was to buy a registrated bike but I see there´s also lots of not registrated bikes for sale some 10,000 baths lower in price. Some advice thanks.

Hans

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
hansq-

Look at the top right of this page and you will see the word "Search". Click on it and it will take you to the search form. Type in the word "register". Amazingly you will find about 5 pages of topics covering this question/answers in everyway possible. If you don't find enough information there, someone here may AGAIN want to cover this topic for you ;>0.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hans - go to the New User section and follow the links to questions about motorcycle laws. This will tell you what is legally required in Thailand.

Then do the Search that has been suggested, and read about what you can get away with, and where.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Dec 13, 2003
Wear a helmet, farangs are normally not stopped, insure it, and get a fake plate. My experience has been this, and 500 B is all the registration you will need in the North.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
"Wear a helmet, farangs are normally not stopped, insure it, and get a fake plate"

Yeah, people have gotten away with a lot - in Northern Thailand. But now, you are not just driving an unregistered bike, you are driving an unregistered bike with counterfiet documents. The police really don't like that.

Also, with a fake plate you can't get the road tax sticker required for the bike. The police tend to notice things like that.

By the way, both the road tax sticker and the insurance sticker are issued with the matching plate number printed on the sticker. So you can't use one off a different bike.

Unregistered bikes are usually that way because of the cost. You save money up front, but you cannot leave the country, and will have trouble if you leave the North.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Mar 11, 2004
The Fake plate is a well used ploy BUT as BobS said it can be a bit serious when you are caught. A friend of mine ended up in jail overnite until we pulled some big strings to get him out and he wasn't even riding the bike at the time. No plate is simply an unregistered bike which according to my policemans handbook nets you a 600 baht fine.
A fake plate comes under a much more serious heading and you can be prosecuted under a conterfieting of official documents charge. If found guilty you can be up for a significant jail term.
I think I would go with No Plate.

hansg

Sep 11, 2005
Thanks guys for advices.
As I can understand it's important to get a registrated bike if I don't want trouble with the police. I also think polices take the chance to earn some extra money if I get caught without registration. In the end it's worth to pay the extra for a registrated bike.

Nov 14, 2004
Hans, you knew the right answer to your question!
Do what you wuold do back home an save a lot of grief,
Thai prisons still have guys called Bubba, drop'n the soap a'nt the crime pic'n it up is, regards Scott.
"Your either on the brakes or the gas theres nothin in between"

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
I have a Kawasaki KMX 200 for sale in Chiang Mai, it DOES have plates, green book, etc, all legit. The bike is in great shape, we used it to go from North to South Thailand and back so we made sure it was tip-top. This is my dad's bike but he has gone back to Canada now. I am living in Thailand so i am keeping my bike but selling my fathers. I am asking 30,000B and my number is
057-088-681.
Blake

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
I have a Kawasaki KMX 200 for sale in Chiang Mai, it DOES have plates, green book, etc, all legit. The bike is in great shape, we used it to go from North to South Thailand and back so we made sure it was tip-top. This is my dad's bike but he has gone back to Canada now. I am living in Thailand so i am keeping my bike but selling my fathers. I am asking 30,000B and my number is
057-088-681.
Blake

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
057-088-681.
Blake
[email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

hansg

Sep 11, 2005
Well Blake
It's sounds like a good deal. I will give you a call in february and see if the bike is still there.
Hans