Relocating To The North

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Bolantar, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Bolantar

Bolantar New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    My wife and I both ride Royal Enfield Himalayans and love the north of Thailand.
    Till now we always rode up from Hua Hin in November and stayed until February.
    Now we are thinking of moving up north. We are not 100% sure yet if it will be Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.
    We spent considerable more time in Chiang Mai, mostly close to the old city, and just lately discovered the area east behind the Big C.
    Are there any recommendations for Chiang Rai over Chiang Mai we should consider?
    How are the rental markets for condos in both places?
    We are not Bar goers and obviously like to ride our bikes to places and travel around.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Oddvar

Oddvar Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    Wherever you choose, you're moving in the right direction.:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    I think it very much comes down to what you like to do, and how you like to live. I, personally, prefer Chiang Rai as a town, but that’s only because of my own leanings.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,123 / 0 / -0
  5. Heineken

Heineken Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If your renting why not do 3 x months Chiang Mai and then 3 x months Chiang Rai, no better way to test the waters IMO

My choice is Chiang Rai mainly because of alot less traffic, not a huge worry on a bike, in a car its frustrating waiting a traffic lights for so long in Chiang Mai.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Marmite

Marmite Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I had 5 years in Chiang Mai, but managed to escape a year ago. Horrible, dirty, polluted hole of a city.

Enjoy!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. scotty007

scotty007 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Have lived in CNX for 5 years now and am based about 11kms south of the city close to the Mae Hia area, this has the direct advantages of getting you out of the traffic and pollution problems of CNX, we find that pretty well everything we require is available in the local area with all the main shops and many excellent restaurants/coffee shops with both Thai and Farang food. Condos are available in the area but also there is more of a possibility to have a small house! We very rarely require to go into CNX!

8. Marmite

Marmite Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I think you need to go further than Mae Hia to escape the pollution. Phitsanulok maybe? Loei?

• Funny Funny x 1