Renting bikes in Laos

Apr 11, 2006
New User - We've been renting bikes, just regular 125 cc bikes that the locals drive, throughout Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. We have just arrived in LP, Laos and are told there is a ban an all foreigners renting bikes. We inquired at Discovery and we can rent the big bikes, but not the small ones, once we pay $30/us each to get them up here from Vientiane. What gives? Is this by province or throughout the counry?

Thanks

Aug 31, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by emkeith

New User - We've been renting bikes, just regular 125 cc bikes that the locals drive, throughout Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. We have just arrived in LP, Laos and are told there is a ban an all foreigners renting bikes. We inquired at Discovery and we can rent the big bikes, but not the small ones, once we pay $30/us each to get them up here from Vientiane. What gives? Is this by province or throughout the counry?

Thanks

My understanding is that this only applies in Luang Prabang. The city has decided that they don't want lots of motorbikes racing around the older part of the city in order to maintain its atmosphere. Green Discovery may be the only rental place for a 250. If you're lucky they may have some bikes they need transported back to Vientiane and they might wave the $30fee for you, but if you're not going to VTE then I think thats their pricing policy.

I'm not aware of any other city imposing this rule.

Mike