Right turn after American Pacific School - Samoeng Rd

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Making the most of the fine weather and some freedom, I rode up the 1269 again and my first stop was to take a photo of a familiar place to a dear friend in England.

DSC_0555.jpg

Then, just after passing American Pacific International School before the shops on the right, I turned right up a concrete road.

Primarily I wanted to find the piece of water I had seen on Google Earth but whilst I was there, I wanted to follow the track up the mountain.

I rode through orchards and occasionally on dual concrete tracks but the mud on this side of the Samoeng road valley is more sandy in texture and until you reach the top, it’s light in colour.

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0562.jpg

Well after reaching the top of the mountain, there is another valley and the mud changes to the red stuff and very very sticky.
DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

Firstly I came upon a dead end in the middle of a beautiful valley farm. The people told me the tracks went to Pong Yong to the north and pointed but laughed at my bike & said another track lead to Doi Pui. Indeed I was already knackered so I called it a day.

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

So back down through the orchards and onto the sandy stuff and at the barrier & guard hut / info kiosk / beer den I turned to the left rather than returning to the 1296.

After a short distance, I found the water I had come to see. I rode around it, took a few snaps and then continued on to the south east and followed a track I had put onto my 60cxs.

DSC_0579.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

If you go to Google Earth and look at this area, you will see a youtube video of a guy who did this track and today was no different. Stop laughing, it was scary but I made it all the way down from the water without dropping the bike.

At the end of the rough stuff, is a track to the left and then further on down there are a couple of tracks left & right that I will look at another day. And before anyone posts a question about the waterfall here … no I missed it.
DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

Finally I exit onto the 1269 and tarmac.
DSC_0589.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

Mud mud glorious mud … what a messy ride this was and one hell of an experience for me.

I now understand paddling, dipping & dropping ! And when a bike falls into a gooey mass of mud, the lift up is just so bloody difficult as the suction keeps the bike locked down. But you all knew that already!

(Despite 2 gooey drops, right & left, still no de-restriction as a result)

Ally

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Nice one Ally

So your first "Drop's" on that trip,, bike looks like nothing was damaged,,,must be nice soft landing's,,no picturs from drops?? :wink:

Any how,good that you where not hurt and all are ok

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Ha ha ! no way Marco. Too muddy to get the precious nikon out and certainly no damage to the bike or me.

Coming to a slurpy halt at 2kph and flopping softly into a gooey mess doesn't do damage :wink:

It's a bit like getting home drunk and falling into a feather bed ! And then when you wake up with that awful spinning bloated feeling, the bed won't let you get up ... following me so far ?? :twisted:

Took me ages to get the bike clean yesterday afternoon !

Ally

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Nice report and pics Ally.
Maybe you should have got the KLX or you might have to order the wheels and tyres at least. :D

BJ

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Bjt, that would be logical, simple and easy.

I know what you are saying but I really don't like serious off road ! (stopping laughing!) I just like soil and tracks that are not deep rutted dried up river beds made a mess in the rainy season.

Why did I do these couple of rides this week? Boredom & cabin fever.

More tarmac next week, I think I have had my fair share of mud for a while.

Ally

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
But Ally

They said that mUD is good for your skin :wink:

thats why spas charge always so muc,, in the jungle one can get it for free

Nov 2, 2008
Good skating pratice, glad you encountered no damage.

Nice report, great seeing your D-Tracker dirty too. You were right over a small waterfall a short hike from the fork in the track pictured I think.

No plate yet?

Cheers from Canada Eh!

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Hi there Kevin, hope your touch down was good.

Yes the plate arrived but haven't fitted it yet.

Maybe I will take that short hike with you when your back here eh ?

You even sound Canadian again eh!

Ally