Saying Hello

Smbike

Sep 19, 2006
Hi people,
Just saying hello as I have just signed up. Lots to read in the forums, Thanks to all that take the time to post. I am thinking of flying bikes over from Europe later this year so hopefully I can get educated here on the hows and wheres.
Time to read...

Andy

Smbike

Sep 19, 2006
That was fun reading the stories and ride info. Now if any one has comments on my plans it would be appreciated.
Looks like I can simply fly the bikes to thailand, no carnet needed. Ride to Cambodia, ride around in the one months vacation we have, and because of rather lax border controls we should be able to leave them there (Cambodia). Return the next chance we get to continue touring a bit and maybe leave them there again or continue somewhere else.
Only problem I can forsee is if the Cambodian customs enter the bikes into my passport which is picked up when we try to leave but after reading this board that seems unlikely.
Anyone see anything I have overlooked?
Looking forward to riding there....

Andy

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
I would probably choose to leave the bikes in Thailand instead of Cambodia.

Are you sure you don't need a carnet? There is a big import duty on big bikes. Could you bring us a Triumph Tiger?

Smbike

Sep 19, 2006
Thanks gents,
Up to now I have assumed that Thailand would be a problem to leave the bikes for a time while we return home and guessed that Cambodia would be easier to fiddle something with the customs to allow them to stay.
The bikes would be in the area for about 2 years and we would return a few times for month periods.
I was thinking if we had problems in Cambodia we could always register them there?
Open to all suggestions.
We left the bikes in Nepal for 2 years, without carnet, just by having a freindly chat with the customs chief so I was thinking along those lines.
Sorry mate, no Tigers, we like small bore bikes, anything above 250 scares the pants off us [:D]
Thanks again

Andy

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Smbike

Thanks gents,
Up to now I have assumed that Thailand would be a problem to leave the bikes for a time while we return home and guessed that Cambodia would be easier to fiddle something with the customs to allow them to stay.
The bikes would be in the area for about 2 years and we would return a few times for month periods.
I was thinking if we had problems in Cambodia we could always register them there?
Open to all suggestions.
We left the bikes in Nepal for 2 years, without carnet, just by having a freindly chat with the customs chief so I was thinking along those lines.
Sorry mate, no Tigers, we like small bore bikes, anything above 250 scares the pants off us [:D]
Thanks again

Andy

Andy
Are you serious - you're only talking about 250cc bikes?
If yes, then my advice is dont waste your time & money flying them out. Just buy something locally, either in Thailand or Cambodia.
Also take a look at
https://www.gt-rider.com/bikes.html#BRINGINGYOUROWNBIKE

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Smbike

Sep 19, 2006
Well they are 125's and I understand what you are getting at. We bought them in Kenya for the reason of 'going local' for want of a better frase. But as usual we got the feeling of wanting to keep the same bikes after riding in Africa for a couple of years. Just the way it goes I suppose, loving the bikes and all. Fell into the trap I was trying to avoid.
Just looking for ways to leave them in South East Asia untill we move on and from what I read Cambodia seemed the best plan?

Andy

Smbike

Sep 19, 2006
Ok gents, thanks for the couple of ideas.
I will see what works out when I get there and reply here about the best way to leave the bikes in SE Asia when I find it.

Andy