Selling foreign motorbike in Thailande/SEA

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by niquedouille, Dec 27, 2014.

  1. Hi everybody,
    I'm considering selling my motorbike in SEA. It has french number plate and paperwork under my name (I'm french).
    When I enter Thailand, the motorbike get a permission of 1 or 2 months, I think. Is there any legal way to transfer the papers to a Thai citizen ?

  2. You have temp imported it.. You are liable if it doesnt leave the country for a huge tax bill after 6 months.. Maybe that doesnt bother you.. But it is what you agreed to..

    You can of course, agree a sale, write them the required letter of authorization to cross international borders and a bill of sale, both go to the border and sign the bike out of Thailand, letting him re-import it legally in his name under temp import. A bike can be temp imported etc when its not in your own name. Very few Thais will want an overseas bike on temp import. Much more likely to get a sale with a touring or border hopping westerner IMO.

    Lastly you can close the temp import and not take the bike out of Thailand.. This isnt legal, but not that hard to achieve at many border points. This then results in the bike being illegal in Thailand, but still a bike.

Share This Page