Sisaket to Singapore to Sisaket

Discussion in 'Central Thailand Road Trip Reports' started by Peter Hooper, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. I am planning a trip from Sisaket to Singapore in May, leave the bike with friends in Jahore Bahru for 2 months while I holiday in Australia and then do the return trip early July. I have a Thai Registered Phantom 200.
    I have researched this and other sites and spoken with the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok and I think I have all points covered. However it’s a long way from Sisaket to Sadao and I would hate to get there and be refused entry for some thing I could have arranged in advance.
    I will show my checklist and if anyone has any suggestions or anything to add I would be pleased to hear it;
    Registration Book (Green) plus copies in English.
    Certificate of Registration Issued by Provincial Transport Office and showing Roman equivalents of Thai Registration Number
    International Transport Permit (bike passport)
    Passport (personal)
    International Drivers Licence
    New number plate with Roman equivalents of Thai.

    I have a week to complete the journey and have planned out my route but am guessing how long each section will take. My cruising speed is around 110 and I hope to be able to stay in the saddle for about 6 hours a day. If my progress is good I would like to call at Phuket.
    It seems that a lot of riders come up to Thailand from South but not too many go the other way. Is that because we have all the good rides up here ?
    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

    “The journey is the Destination”

  2. Hi Peter

    There is one thing to check on. When you take your bike out of Thailand, you get a Temporary Export form at the border. This form is needed when you re-enter Thailand, to prove that the import taxes had been paid previously.

    This form is only good for 1 month. Since you are planning a trip that is several months long, you will probably need some other form. I do know that David Unkovich had some problems returning after 6 weeks in Laos.

    I have never been out of country for more than a month, so I can't advise you on what form or where to get it. Please post the info here when you find out.

    Good luck.


    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"
  3. Thanks Bob, I will check that out.
    Motor vehicle entry is permitted into Malaysia for 3 months at a time I think.
    Another thing that I found out today at the Provincial Transport Office is that the requirement depends on the treaty Thailand has with other countries.
    Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding now is that the "International Transport Permit" (Bike Passport) is required for Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, but not for Malaysia. They only require the "Vehicle Registration Certificate" (in English with Roman number plate equivalents) plus Green Book and Int Drivers Licence.
    I will post my answer when I get it.

    "The Journey is the Destination"
  4. Peter

    I only have taken Thai registered bikes into Laos. All that is required for entry is the Thai registration book and your personal passport. I have posted detailed info on entry proceedure in the Laos section.

    I have never been asked for English copies of the book.
    I have never been asked to show my International Drivers License.
    I have never been asked to put on a different plate.

    I have never even heard of these other items on your checklist, and can assure you that they are not required for Laos.

    "Certificate of Registration Issued by Provincial Transport Office and showing Roman equivalents of Thai Registration Number"

    "International Transport Permit (bike passport)"

    Can you post details on these items, and the source of the requirements for Malaysia entry?



    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"
  5. Hello again Bob,
    I have not yet taken my bike into Laos or Cambodia but I plan to later in the year. The comments about Bike Passport came from the Provincial Transport Office here in Sisaket, so your info is probably more reliable.
    As for Malaysia, last week I spoke with a very helpful young lady by phone at the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok and she gave me the info about the entry requirements into Malaysia, which are all the items on my checklist except the Bike Passport. There is also a requirement to buy Insurance after crossing into Malaysia. This must be produced on demand. The number plate is evidently something some vendors knock up for you at the border.
    The Certificate of Registration is a form on a single page and certifies that all the information in your green book is correct. It is written in English and has their roman equivalent of the Thai number plate. The Rego No is not a direct translation but is taken from their guide book. (ie. kor gkai does not equate to G or K). The form is stamped and signed by the Provincial Transport Registrar and carries the Department Stamp.There is more information about this form and how it relates to entry into Malaysia in the Phuket Gazette dated 27 Mar 2004. If you want to see the form I can scan and post it here. (That is if I can work the technology).
    The young lady promised to email details of what she had explained to me and I hope to get that next week.
    Cheers, Peter

    "The Journey is the Destination"
  6. Here is a copy of the info I just got from the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok. As you can see there is reference to the Phuket News article mentioned earlier. I am still researching BobS's question about taking the bike out of Thailand for more then a month, but I'm not getting far.


    1. Only 40% of the tinted glass are allowed
    2. Must hold valid Thai / International driving license
    3. All documents pertaining to the vehicle must be in English
    4. Extra break lamp
    5. Have to purchase motor vehicle insurance at any entry points to Malaysia

    Entry points

    1. Sungai Golok
    2. Takbai
    3. Sadao, Bukit Kayuhitam
    4. Padang Besar
    As you are in Si Sa Ket. We called Si Sa Ket Provincial Land Transport Office for more clearer information; nevertheless, the officer suggested to contact Information Office.
    Si Sa Ket Provincial Land Transport Office
    287 Moo 6, Leang Muang Rd, Nhong Krok Subdistrict, Muang district, SiSaKet.
    Tel : 045-617419

    We advice you to follow the same way as people do in Phuket.

    Below is the information provided by Mr. Supakorn Vilairat, Chief Registrar, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.
    “To drive your car out of Thailand into Malaysia you must come to the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO) bringing your ID card, plus one copy; your house registration, plus one copy; and the car registration book, and have them translated into English. Foreigners should bring, instead of the ID card and house papers, their passport, plus one copy.
    To drive in Malaysia drivers must have a valid international driving license, or a Thai driving license, which must also be translated into English. The international license allows you to drive in Malaysia until it expires. The Thai license allows you to drive in Malaysia for one month only.
    It takes about two days for the PPTO to process the paperwork.
    The PPTO will provide a certificate stipulating your car registration plate’s equivalent in Roman letters. Before entering Malaysia you will need to have stickers made up - one set for the front and one for the rear of your car - clearly showing the Roman-letter version of your car’s registration number.
    When you arrive at the border, both Thai and Malaysian Customs officers will ask you to produce all the papers.
    On returning to Thailand, you must first prove to Malaysian Customs that you are legally in possession of the car. They will then give you a permit that will allow you to take the car out of Malaysia. This permit must be shown to Thai Customs officers when you enter Thailand.”

    "The Journey is the Destination"
  7. The Phantom is serviced, I am in good shape, bags are packed, I have all the paperwork and early tomorrow(Sat) I will leave on the long journey. I hope to make it just Sth of Bangkok on the first day then about Chumpon day 2 and around Phuket on day 3. I hope to cross the border on day 4(Tues3/5) and then take 2 -3 days to go through Malaysia to Singapore.
    My licence expires on 7 May and my plane leaves for Brisbane on Mon 9 May so I need to keep moving.
    This is the longest journey I have done since about 1962 & so I am not sure how much I can do in a day. The weather is unknown & will have some bearing on this.
    I will try to file a trip report when I get to Australia for any who may be interested.
    So if you see an old joker on a blue Phantom somewhere along the route, wave me down for a chat.

    "The Journey is the Destination"

Share This Page