Some advice please.....

Nov 12, 2013
My biological clock is ticking quite loud lately,so am in the process of lining up the planets etc ready for a shift to Thailand....north Thailand to be a bit more precise.
I want to buy a GPS type device,suitable for an inexperienced user (me),which will help me find all these places I've been reading about.
Don't know much about them,and it's use will be mainly for on road trips.Ideally I would be able to input the destination with a couple of stops along the way......and so will need to be suitable for bike mounting with some degree of weatherproofing.
As I will be coming to Bkk on the 30th July,then up to CM a couple of days later,would appreciate perhaps meeting up with someone to show me how to load maps/co-ordinates etc.
Bundy rum supplied by me.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 2013
Looking at Garmin Zumo 390LM......prices range from $324 to $798........free lifetime maps but will they be Thai maps???
More research needed......

Kawboy

May 16, 2013
I've got the 350LM- if you purchase it outside Thailand it won't have the Thai map, and you can't buy a 'lifetime map' version for a region other than the one you're in (I was told this by an authorized dealer in California, and as he lost a sale because of it I'm guessing that info is accurate)- I could have saved a bit by ordering it in the States and trying to download the maps (bootleg or otherwise) from another source, but I bought it locally to avoid the hassle (though there's probably a way to do it).

Nov 12, 2013
Hmm...thanks Kawboy,not much use if I can't get Thai maps put on it.....
Might have to work something out with my Samsung smartphone,have a weather proof enclosure for it,will check it out when I'm over there.

Mar 30, 2010
Poompui;300198 wrote: Hmm...thanks Kawboy,not much use if I can't get Thai maps put on it.....
Might have to work something out with my Samsung smartphone,have a weather proof enclosure for it,will check it out when I'm over there.
The best conmercial map is the Esri map. Or load up the osm map too. You have something to get You around to start with :)

If the aussie customs man wont ding You too hard. Order from gps city in nevada. Good prices and great selection.

Cheers
Brian

Dec 1, 2013
Poompui;300198 wrote: Hmm...thanks Kawboy,not much use if I can't get Thai maps put on it.....
The Garmin Zumo 390LM accepts microSD cards so when you get to BKK go to GPS4YOU Fortune tower (BKK) or Eagle GPS Pantip Plaza (Chiang Mai) and buy the ESRI Thailand map on microSD card and hey presto

Kawboy

May 16, 2013
If you're going to deal with SD cards and uploading separate maps, it really defeats the purpose of getting a Zumo 'Lifetime Maps' model (which gives you the updates for free), though.

Nov 12, 2013
Don't need lifetime maps for anywhere except Thailand (Laos?) mainly because the street/highway signs are hard to follow,and will be brining a few friends in November to have a 5 or 6 day ride,and don't want to seem an idiot from doubling back all the time trying to find the right road/hotel/coffee shop etc.......it's all about face!
:happy2:

Kawboy;300206 wrote: If you're going to deal with SD cards and uploading separate maps, it really defeats the purpose of getting a Zumo 'Lifetime Maps' model (which gives you the updates for free), though.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi Poompui,
I just brought the Zumo 390. I haven't used it as I have Ordered a New Transformer and Cable to replace the Original which is Huge and Hard wired so only good for one Bike!
I got it from Eagle GPS. Contact: Maurycy Siedlowski E-mail Address: [email protected] . Comes with a Thai Map which can Be updated once a Year! He can also get You Maps for Laos, Burma, etc etc! Good Luck.

Kawboy

May 16, 2013
Yup, that's annoying re: the difficulty in moving the cradle to another bike. Mine has been in place since I got the bike so I don't even notice it anymore, but I think if it was something I added to a bike I'd ridden for a while it would bother me:

Nov 12, 2013
Thanks Ian,sent him an email,waiting for his reply.
Like the idea of Laos maps too......need to find that rocket!!

Ian Bungy;300233 wrote: Hi Poompui,
I just brought the Zumo 390. I haven't used it as I have Ordered a New Transformer and Cable to replace the Original which is Huge and Hard wired so only good for one Bike!
I got it from Eagle GPS. Contact: Maurycy Siedlowski E-mail Address: [email protected] . Comes with a Thai Map which can Be updated once a Year! He can also get You Maps for Laos, Burma, etc etc! Good Luck.

Jul 18, 2011
ullo
i bought a garmin oregon 650 with the powered bike mount kit . mounted it on my old clunker and it has been working a treat, one of the great things about this one i found is that it came with a powered car mount so i use it on the car as well.
the map was the south east asia map , which is ok but i got the eagle GPS (chiang mai) map loaded on to it and which seems to work better on the bike.
this model has a removable battery which can be replaced with normal "AA" batteries , available from any 7/11, this can come in handy if you are of the bike and strolling around with no charger, i needed this option as i have the directional sense of a cabbage.

on the downside , the unit is a bit bulky. and its was a bit expensive when i originally purchased it.

it may be worth a look at.

there is an online shop called "johnny appleseed" in australia that i have delt with and they were brilliant.

good luck

rob