Stay for a while, employ some locals

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Hi guys, we've just bought a new Buell Ulysses and ridden it from Newcastle (NSW) to Brisbane (Qld) thewn down to Melbourne (Vic) and am heading to Malaysia in the new year, probaly end of February, we would like to be in Krabi province by late March!

My Question, how much would a normal house rental be in Krabi/Ao Nang area and could I employ locals with data imput (english) capabilities, nothing too technical, what are reasonable wages for locals!

"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!"

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
This not really the place for your questions. Try www.thaivisa.com. You will find many topics and answers. One cannot just stroll into Thailand and start working or employing. MANY, MANY restrictions. You need the correct visa and/or a work permit before you can do ANYTHING.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for about three years and you can send me an email if you have a question, but I think we should keep this board on motorcycle related topics.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Thanks, I understand this is a bike forum but as this particular forum does say "any message here" I thought I could post off-topic quesions, the board has quite a few expats that may be willing to answer my questions in a non-self interested way!

Jan 22, 2005
Hi Brat,

If you want "Bang 4 the Buck" which most of us do, be we laid back or full on, your question is best sought by following David's (Silverhawk's)suggestion, thaivisa... There you find are a zillion threads on your topic. This will reap BIG time for you, while allowing the GT-Rider site to be more bike oriented, which has always been the intent.

And my 2 cent's worth on renting cost is; it is what ever you have in your pocket and are willing to part with. As for employing others, regardless of legalities, do a google search on minimum wages. Compare to your own country and persoanl experiences/expectations and go from there....

Cheers,
David and Mai

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Some sites set up for a specific topic offer advice that can channel you to become dependant on their services. I have no problem with that but for instance, I'm also a rock climber and found advice from other climbers about off-topic questions mostly untainted by commercial need, the same has applied here! No big drama, thanks guys! :)

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Brat,
So your going to ride a Harley up to Thailand, mate , a little word of advice. Get to Darwin and give it a good service, then ship it Singapore, using Perkins Shipping, they have the experience with bikes and pretty cheap, the money you save on airfare spend a few days in Bali.
The next bit of advice, stay out of Indo on your bike, you will probably overheat it, the traffic is horrendous.
On the type of bike you are on, stick to the highways, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand have excellant bitumen. Don't go were I went.(you can read my journals on Horizons Unlimited) also my photos are on Link removed
You will have a ball if you take it easy, remember there are a lot of seasoned old farang bikers living in Thailand!

It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you get there.

Nov 14, 2004
Tom Forde what are you doing in China ? are you going to ride the silk road? Keep liv'n life large, your Aussie mate Scott.

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Hi Tom, thanks, we've ridden in Southern Thailand and Chiang Mai/Mai Hong Son areas and loved it, Did you get a bike into China?
Cheers
Chris

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Guys, I am at the moment stuck on the 12 floor of an office block in Pudong, overlooking the very dirty Wampu rive, in Shanghai.However all is not lost, You would be interested in this Scotty, I am seriously chasing work in the middle east, so who knows were I will end up.
China is very difficult to get into big bikes.
First you need a number of visas and work permits, a permanent address and then of course a driving licence.
Most expats up here who are riding bikes are into the Chiang Jang, a 750cc 1949 BMW copy with sidecar. The extra wheel lets you ride on the highways.
If I survive up here I wouldn't mind riding one back from Shanghai to ChiangMai in a year or two.
As far as the silk route goes,lets have a look, what do you reckon Scotty?

It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you get there.