Strolling around l’Empordà - 2. A Greek Inheritage

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Excerpt: My second ‘Costa Brava’ itinerary took me to the North, actually over the Baix Empurdà's limits, to the historic Empúries compound. This region also offers enjoyable motorcycle rides, along the sea or over hills, with visits to small and medium sized towns and Greek and Roman remains.

Strolling around l’Empordà
2. A Greek legacy (L’Estartit - L’ Escala)

Complete story – 5 trip reports:

1. The Coastal Paths (Pals - Palafrugell): https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/38977-Strolling-around-the-Empord%C3%A0-1-The-Coastal-Paths

2. A Greek Legacy (L’Estartit - L’ Escala): https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/40188-Strolling-around-l%92Empord%E0-2-A-Greek-Inheritage

3. Medieval Sites (Pals - Peratallada): https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/40527-Strolling-around-l%92Empord%E0-3-Medieval-sites-(Pals-Peratallada)

4. From the Indigetes to Salvador Dali’s castle - to be published
5. The Megaliths Trail (around the mountain - Les Gavarres) – to be published

1. Over the hill to Empuries

I started my trip again in Torroella de Montgri, the city where I had rented a small motorcycle (Honda Marauder 125 cc [1]). From there, an eastern loop, along the Montgri mountain range, leads to L'Estartit, in front of the infamous Medes islands, a former pirates’ stronghold. Scuba divers now visit sunken wrecks around these reefs and boats trail tourists to its shores, while the rocks, the summit and its lighthouse, off limits to wanderers, are a bird’s paradise.

L’Estartit is a former fishermen's dwelling, promoted to a popular tourist destination; it is worth a longer visit, but that day, I was eager to climb to Cap de la Barra, for a panoramic view. This promontory can be reached by driving up a steep byroad, followed by a short walk on a rocky footpath.

NIK_0470-Edit.jpg

NIK_0471-Edit.jpg

Cap de la Barra is a karst cliff, jutting over L’Estartit and the Medes islands; this panoramic vantage point affords a far-reaching view, along the sandy Pals costal line, down to the cove of Sa Riera, the Begur Mountain and to the seamless water and sky horizon.

NIK_0472-Edit.jpg

NIK_0473-Edit.jpg

NIK_0474-Edit-2.jpg

The glimpse over the islands, the ‘Meda Grand’ with its lighthouse, the ‘Meda Xica’ and the ‘Carall Bernat’ sugar cone shaped rock, is well different from the usual beach level perspective.

NIK_0475-Edit.jpg

NIK_0478-Edit.jpg

DSC02336-Edit.jpg

NIK_0485-Edit.jpg

DSC02344-Edit.jpg

NIK_0486-Edit.jpg

Down from the vantage point, I took another trail, up again, through the ‘Parc Natural del Montgri’, toward Torre Ponça; a narrow link, including a four kilometer unsealed rocky stretch. In mid-June, when the earth becomes dry and the risk of forest fires increases, the circulation is prohibited for motorized vehicle and only open to walkers and cyclists. This ten kilometer road cut through a plateau, in a bucolic environment, however, with few direct glances toward the sea; despite its bumpy components, it is a pleasant nature drive.

NIK_0490-Edit.jpg

NIK_0492-Edit.jpg

NIK_0493-Edit.jpg

NIK_0494-Edit.jpg

NIK_0496-Edit.jpg

After diving down the Montgri’s forland northern edge, I reached Cala Montgó a popular bay marred with an overbuilt promontory topped by an interesting observation edifice from 1598. The Punta Montgó hill also provides a panoramic vantage point, overlooking ‘Punta de Trencabraços’, unfortunately, when I reached the summit, menacing rain clouds darkened the horizon, an augur of my excursion’s probable shortening.

NIK_0499-Edit.jpg

NIK_0501-Edit.jpg

NIK_0506-Edit.jpg

NIK_0510-Edit.jpg

The Montgó cove is still part of the 'Torroella de Montgri'/L’Estartit’ municipality. A virtual delimitation between the Baix and 'Alt Empordà' cuts right through it. I had crossed my primary rambling region’s border, without any gap in continuity; L’Escala dwellings are now intermingled with Montgó

Following the Mediterranean rim, I stopped along Platja de les Barques, in the city’s center, a place featuring a wide choice of seaside restaurants.

As many other places along the ‘Costa’, L’ Escala was founded as a small fishermen's hamlet, inflated, in recent times, by the tourism invasion. The constructions along the seashore are now compact, leaving no space between Montgó and Empuries. On the city’s north rim, however, narrow streets and old houses are still a photogenic reminder of its historic past.

NIK_0521-Edit.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

NIK_1186-Edit.jpg

NIK_1189-Edit.jpg

NIK_1197-Edit.jpg

NIK_1210.jpg

NIK_1216.jpg

As the weather continued to deteriorate, with some drizzle and a black horizon, I speeded back on highway C-853, keeping the region’s further exploration aside for another day [2].

2. Greek and Roman cities

Two days later, I drove back on the same highway, straight to L’Escala’s north rim, to the ‘Cônjunt arqueologic d’Empuries’. This historic site is divided into three parts: the Hellenic town, an indoor museum, and the Roman city. It is advisable to arrive early - nothing in Spain is ‘very’ early – to avoid the harsh midday sun and to reduce the number of tourists dotting the pictures.

The first known dwellers of the region, the Indigetes, were Bronze and Iron Age populations; Empúries itself (Emporion) was founded by the Phoceans, in the year 550 B.C. This first Greek trading center of the Iberian Peninsula became a bustling place for exchanges with the local populations and an important gateway for the culture and civilization’s flow. As a modern times rehearsal, the Olympic flame, for the Barcelona games, arrived at this same place.

NIK_1080-Edit.jpg

NIK_1081-Edit.jpg

NIK_1086-Edit.jpg

The Asclepius’ statue - the Greek god of healing - dominates his former temple’s compound and became the symbol of the archeological site.

NIK_1084-Edit.jpg

NIK_1095-Edit.jpg

NIK_1103-Edit.jpg

Clay tubular amphorae, originally filled with filtering material, were used to clean the drinking water.

NIK_1091-Edit.jpg

The remains of a Paleochristian basilica can be seen in between the Greek city’s ruins, as the compound mixes vestiges of different epochs.

NIK_1106-Edit.jpg

NIK_1107-Edit.jpg

NIK_1113-Edit.jpg

Smaller and valuable pieces are collected inside the museum’s building; during the hot mid-day hours, the indoor visit provides a refreshing respite.

The outside Asclepius statue is a copy, the original image being kept inside, well protected from atmospheric and people aggressions.

NIK_1117-Edit.jpg

Many artifacts, original mosaics, stoneware and statues are also exhibited indoors.

NIK_1122.jpg

NIK_1124-Edit.jpg

NIK_1126-Edit.jpg

NIK_1131.jpg

NIK_1132.jpg

NIK_1135.jpg

NIK_1137-Edit.jpg

Outside again, I walked to the Roman city, a dwelling built later on, during the Punic wars, as a military camp. This first Roman settlement, on the Iberian Peninsula, became intermingled with Emporion’s Greek city. The whole compound covers a large area, and it is estimated that only 25% has already been excavated.

The ‘Forum’ is a central place in Roman cities; here, only a small portion is still standing or rebuilt; these remains however, provide an insight into its former splendor.

NIK_1154-Edit.jpg

NIK_1146-Edit.jpg

Sometimes, in the 70[sup]th[/sup], I had visited Empuries; few changes can be seen on my former pictures, obviously, thirty years are only an eye blink in more than two millenniums of history.

The Roman Forum, pictures from the 70[sup]th[/sup].

sar%25206_0022.jpg

sar%25206_0023-Edit.jpg

The Roman houses, the Domus, are often decorated with exquisite mosaics; some are intact and provide valuable specimens of antic crafts.

NIK_1162-Edit.jpg

NIK_1170-Edit-2.jpg

A ‘Domus’ (Roman house) and a mosaic, pictures from the 70[sup]th[/sup].

sar%25206_0025-Edit.jpg

The Greek city overview, picture from the 70[sup]th[/sup]:

sar%25206_0025-Edit.jpg

North from Emporion, the view stretches to the Pyrenees, a mountain range often still snow capped in June.

NIK_1175-Edit.jpg

3. Driving back on country roads

Route GIV 6322/621 is an alternative way, back from L’Escala’s north rim, to Torroella de Montgri; it avoids the straight drive on highway C-853.

As the Empurdà was once covered with lakes and inundated marshlands, small fortified cities were often built on hills, close to a castle and to a church, to increase their defensive power and to avoid floods.

Along my back road itinerary, the first medieval city is Albons, a charming old village perched on a small mount. The Sant Cugat roman church and the runes of an old castle are its historic testimonials; my favorite features, however, are the pastel colored houses lining narrow streets; a glance into an atmosphere apparently frozen in time.

NIK_1238-Edit.jpg

NIK_1239-Edit.jpg

image.png

image.png

My journey continued, on the narrow country road, to ‘Bellcaire d'Emporda’, another medieval dwelling built on a highland. It once poked out of a large lake that was dried up in the 18[sup]th[/sup] Century.

NIK_1244-Edit.jpg

This city, a former residence of the Count of Empuries, host a large fortified ‘Palace-Castle’ (‘Castell-Palau’), a stronghold challenged by the opposite, unfinished, ‘Montgri Castell’. In the 14[sup]th[/sup] Century, this fortification also protected the local populations against the sea brigands.

NIK_1248-Edit.jpg

image.png

NIK_1245-Edit-3.jpg

image.png

The Baix Empordà has a dense maize of secondary trails and I left Belcaire on an unsealed road, following an approximative west direction. This itinerary brought me through a yellow ocean of sunflowers, with a gorgeous view toward the medieval city, poking to the sky like an island.

image.png

image.png

Finally, for the last stretch toward Ullà, I joined the paved secondary road, along the Montgri Massif’s western rim.

NIK_1244-Edit.jpg

From time to time, along this pastoral trail, flocks of goats or sheep can be seen; this, unfortunately, seems, to be a more and more seldom encounter.

NIK_1258-Edit.jpg

NIK_1415-Edit.jpg

The majestic Montgrit massif is an ubiquitous landmark, and a beckon all around the Baix Empurdà. Seen under various perspectives, its characteristic shape, a sleeping woman or a bishop, with its ‘nipple’ castle, pointing toward the sky, is a precise ‘position system’ even without a map..

image.png

image.png

4. Down to the Ter river’s mouth

The Empurdà is a vast alluvial sediment plain; the Baix Empurdà, for its part, is drained by two major rivers flowing toward the Mediterranean sea, along the coast between L’Estartit and Pals. The old Daró river stream irrigates the ‘Basses d’En Coll’ lagoons and the Ter its Aiguamols. These regions are popular cycling destinations and ‘motor assisted’ conveyances are well advises to keep a low profile and a moderate speed.

From highway C-31, south of Torroella de Montgri, a partly paved, partly earthen track, leads along both sides of the ‘Gola del Ter’ (Ter river mouth).

NIK_3176-Edit.jpg

For my first itinerary, I followed the river’s right rim, leaving the main road on the bridge’s south side.

NIK_1316-Edit.jpg

NIK_1332-Edit.jpg

The sea shore, at the river’s mouth, features gorgeous marshes, sand dunes and reed beds landscapes. In June, the beaches are not yet crowded, but punctuated by - wind and water shaped - old tree trunks. The whole region is, nowadays, a protected natural park, keeping human activities inside narrow limits (‘Reserva Natural Partial del Baix Ter’).

NIK_1285-Edit.jpg

NIK_1290-Edit.jpg

NIK_1293-Edit.jpg

NIK_1299-Edit.jpg

NIK_1303-Edit.jpg

NIK_1304-Edit.jpg

There is no bridge at the seashore and, in order to cross the river, wanderers have to pass through waist level waters. On a motorcycle, the trail goes back to the highway and, down again, on the other rim.

NIK_1356-Edit.jpg

NIK_1379-Edit.jpg

NIK_1383-Edit.jpg

From ‘El Bari de Ter’, the track follows a paved and finally an earthern road, along the river’s left side, to the ‘Aiguamols del Baix Ter’, the northern part of the natural park. This protected marshland zone is also home to various kinds of local plants and wildlife.

NIK_3177-Edit.jpg

NIK_3185-Edit.jpg

NIK_3482-Edit.jpg

NIK_3198-Edit.jpg

NIK_3206-Edit.jpg

NIK_3189.jpg

Wild grass, sand dunes and an undulating sea shore, the river Ter’s mouth is a great destination for nature lovers.

NIK_3211-Edit-Edit.jpg

NIK_3215-Edit.jpg

NIK_3220-Edit.jpg

NIK_3240-Edit.jpg

Less than a kilometer from the coast, the Medes islands punctuate the sea’s offing, particularly the curious Carall Bernat, sugar cone shaped and white caped. These rocks are the last hiccups of the Montgrit mountain range, collapsing into the Mediteranean sea.

NIK_3228-Edit.jpg

DSC02680-Edit.jpg

NIK_3230-Edit.jpg

A sand-trail, recessed from the shore, leads toward l’Estartit, through the – nowadays -protected La Pletera area.

NIK_3242-Edit.jpg

NIK_3248-Edit.jpg

NIK_3254-Edit.jpg

NIK_3260-Edit.jpg

Odd pseudo-antic vestiges, along la Pletera zone, testify about an aborted urbanization development. A rehabilitation project is already drafted but its realization is still lacking the realization funding.

NIK_3261-Edit.jpg

NIK_3263-Edit.jpg

NIK_3266-Edit.jpg

Coming from nowhere, a straight paved stretch finally leads to L’Escala, along Els Griells urbanization.

NIK_3280-Edit.jpg

The colorful l’Estartit harbor, marked the end of my loop, over and around the Montgrit mountain range.

NIK_3302-Edit.jpg

NIK_3307-Edit.jpg

Driving back to Torroella de Montgri, I completed my ramble with a short stretch to the West. After a couple of kilometers, the road follows a channel, completely dry at this season. This artificial link drains the rivers Daró’s high waters, making it a river Ter’s affluent, a curse deviation who greatly benefited to the Galta’s region, sparing it from frequent inundations.

image.png

NIK_1385.jpg

NIK_1387.jpg

image.png

The Gualta’s outskirts provide an adequate ending point for my peregrination, as my next itineraries through ‘Emporsdá’s Medieval Sites’ (see the following GT-Rider trip report) will lead me through this region again.
next itineraries through Emporsdá’s Medieval Sites (see the following GT-Rider trip report) will lead me again through this city.

NIK_1395-Edit.jpg

Notes:

[1] Big Moto shop, Torroella de Montgri, www.bigmoto.es . Here I rented a small Honda Marauder 125. There are other bikes available, like scooters (50 and 125) BMW 650 and 1200

[2] As the weather was becoming menacing, I took the straight highway GI-632/C853 back from La Escala to Torroella de Montgri. My actual visit to the Empuries site was some days later, early morning, before the day’s highest peak (The site’s opening hour 09:30 AM)

Intersting Empurdà websites:

http://www.baixemporda.cat/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baix_Empord%C3%A0
www.mac.ca
http://www20.gencat.cat/portal/site/culturacatalana/menuitem.be2bc4cc4c5aec88f94a9710b0c0e1a0/?vgnextoid=2aeeef2126896210VgnVCM1000000b0c1e0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2aeeef2126896210VgnVCM1000000b0c1e0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=detall2&contentid=102c110e279d7210VgnVCM1000008d0c1e0aRCRD&newLang=en_GB
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empuries
http://www.cbrava.com/empuries/empuries.uk.htm
www.albons.net
http://webspobles.ddgi.cat/sites/ulla/default.aspx

http://www.begur.cat/web/cat/index.php
http://www.begur.cat/turisme/eng/historia.php
http://www.beguronline.com/history.htm
http://www.palafrugell.cat/portal/

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you David ... two more reports to come, to close the Empurdà loop ... but I do not forget my Mekong love :) and I will soon be back home to work on these (overdue) stories.

Dec 27, 2007
As always, stunning photographs and a well researched and compelling narrative make for a fascinating and entertaining read! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! :clap:

Mar 30, 2010
Lovely photos and scenery Jurgen.

How do you find that bike compared to the Versys back home?
- Looks like you are getting ' off-road '

Cheers
Brian

Oct 8, 2014
Merci JURGENpour toutes ces aventures (et magnifiques photos) que tu nous fais vivre intensément.Nous parcourons ces pays avec toi comme guide, quelle chance… j’espère que toutela famille se porte à merveille et que le jour où tu décides de venir aux USAet les traverser sur la 66, tu nous fasses signe afin de passer un petit boutde temps ensemble à Atlanta ou ailleurs et partager l’hospitalité du sud.
On vousembrasse tous et a+ pour les prochaines aventures.
Olivier, Susan, Julie et Quincy the dog

Jurgen;300316 wrote: Excerpt: My second ‘Costa Brava’ itinerary took me to the North, actually over the Baix Empurdà's limits, to the historic Empúries compound. This region also offers enjoyable motorcycle rides, along the sea or over hills, with visits to small and medium sized towns and Greek and Roman remains.

Strolling around l’Empordà
2. A Greek legacy (L’Estartit - L’ Escala)

Complete story – 5 trip reports:

1. The Coastal Paths (Pals - Palafrugell): https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/38977-Strolling-around-the-Empord%C3%A0-1-The-Coastal-Paths

2. A Greek Legacy (L’Estartit - L’ Escala): https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/40188-Strolling-around-l%92Empord%E0-2-A-Greek-Inheritage

3. Medieval Sites (Pals - Peratallada): https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/40527-Strolling-around-l%92Empord%E0-3-Medieval-sites-(Pals-Peratallada)

4. From the Indigetes to Salvador Dali’s castle - to be published
5. The Megaliths Trail (around the mountain - Les Gavarres) – to be published

1. Over the hill to Empuries

I started my trip again in Torroella de Montgri, the city where I had rented a small motorcycle (Honda Marauder 125 cc [1]). From there, an eastern loop, along the Montgri mountain range, leads to L'Estartit, in front of the infamous Medes islands, a former pirates’ stronghold. Scuba divers now visit sunken wrecks around these reefs and boats trail tourists to its shores, while the rocks, the summit and its lighthouse, off limits to wanderers, are a bird’s paradise.

L’Estartit is a former fishermen's dwelling, promoted to a popular tourist destination; it is worth a longer visit, but that day, I was eager to climb to Cap de la Barra, for a panoramic view. This promontory can be reached by driving up a steep byroad, followed by a short walk on a rocky footpath.

NIK_0470-Edit.jpg

NIK_0471-Edit.jpg

Cap de la Barra is a karst cliff, jutting over L’Estartit and the Medes islands; this panoramic vantage point affords a far-reaching view, along the sandy Pals costal line, down to the cove of Sa Riera, the Begur Mountain and to the seamless water and sky horizon.

NIK_0472-Edit.jpg

NIK_0473-Edit.jpg

NIK_0474-Edit-2.jpg

The glimpse over the islands, the ‘Meda Grand’ with its lighthouse, the ‘Meda Xica’ and the ‘Carall Bernat’ sugar cone shaped rock, is well different from the usual beach level perspective.

NIK_0475-Edit.jpg

NIK_0478-Edit.jpg

DSC02336-Edit.jpg

NIK_0485-Edit.jpg

DSC02344-Edit.jpg

NIK_0486-Edit.jpg

Down from the vantage point, I took another trail, up again, through the ‘Parc Natural del Montgri’, toward Torre Ponça; a narrow link, including a four kilometer unsealed rocky stretch. In mid-June, when the earth becomes dry and the risk of forest fires increases, the circulation is prohibited for motorized vehicle and only open to walkers and cyclists. This ten kilometer road cut through a plateau, in a bucolic environment, however, with few direct glances toward the sea; despite its bumpy components, it is a pleasant nature drive.

NIK_0490-Edit.jpg

NIK_0492-Edit.jpg

NIK_0493-Edit.jpg

NIK_0494-Edit.jpg

NIK_0496-Edit.jpg

After diving down the Montgri’s forland northern edge, I reached Cala Montgó a popular bay marred with an overbuilt promontory topped by an interesting observation edifice from 1598. The Punta Montgó hill also provides a panoramic vantage point, overlooking ‘Punta de Trencabraços’, unfortunately, when I reached the summit, menacing rain clouds darkened the horizon, an augur of my excursion’s probable shortening.

NIK_0499-Edit.jpg

NIK_0501-Edit.jpg

NIK_0506-Edit.jpg

NIK_0510-Edit.jpg

The Montgó cove is still part of the 'Torroella de Montgri'/L’Estartit’ municipality. A virtual delimitation between the Baix and 'Alt Empordà' cuts right through it. I had crossed my primary rambling region’s border, without any gap in continuity; L’Escala dwellings are now intermingled with Montgó

Following the Mediterranean rim, I stopped along Platja de les Barques, in the city’s center, a place featuring a wide choice of seaside restaurants.

As many other places along the ‘Costa’, L’ Escala was founded as a small fishermen's hamlet, inflated, in recent times, by the tourism invasion. The constructions along the seashore are now compact, leaving no space between Montgó and Empuries. On the city’s north rim, however, narrow streets and old houses are still a photogenic reminder of its historic past.

NIK_0521-Edit.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

NIK_1186-Edit.jpg

NIK_1189-Edit.jpg

NIK_1197-Edit.jpg

NIK_1210.jpg

NIK_1216.jpg

As the weather continued to deteriorate, with some drizzle and a black horizon, I speeded back on highway C-853, keeping the region’s further exploration aside for another day [2].

2. Greek and Roman cities

Two days later, I drove back on the same highway, straight to L’Escala’s north rim, to the ‘Cônjunt arqueologic d’Empuries’. This historic site is divided into three parts: the Hellenic town, an indoor museum, and the Roman city. It is advisable to arrive early - nothing in Spain is ‘very’ early – to avoid the harsh midday sun and to reduce the number of tourists dotting the pictures.

The first known dwellers of the region, the Indigetes, were Bronze and Iron Age populations; Empúries itself (Emporion) was founded by the Phoceans, in the year 550 B.C. This first Greek trading center of the Iberian Peninsula became a bustling place for exchanges with the local populations and an important gateway for the culture and civilization’s flow. As a modern times rehearsal, the Olympic flame, for the Barcelona games, arrived at this same place.

NIK_1080-Edit.jpg

NIK_1081-Edit.jpg

NIK_1086-Edit.jpg

The Asclepius’ statue - the Greek god of healing - dominates his former temple’s compound and became the symbol of the archeological site.

NIK_1084-Edit.jpg

NIK_1095-Edit.jpg

NIK_1103-Edit.jpg

Clay tubular amphorae, originally filled with filtering material, were used to clean the drinking water.

NIK_1091-Edit.jpg

The remains of a Paleochristian basilica can be seen in between the Greek city’s ruins, as the compound mixes vestiges of different epochs.

NIK_1106-Edit.jpg

NIK_1107-Edit.jpg

NIK_1113-Edit.jpg

Smaller and valuable pieces are collected inside the museum’s building; during the hot mid-day hours, the indoor visit provides a refreshing respite.

The outside Asclepius statue is a copy, the original image being kept inside, well protected from atmospheric and people aggressions.

NIK_1117-Edit.jpg

Many artifacts, original mosaics, stoneware and statues are also exhibited indoors.

NIK_1122.jpg

NIK_1124-Edit.jpg

NIK_1126-Edit.jpg

NIK_1131.jpg

NIK_1132.jpg

NIK_1135.jpg

NIK_1137-Edit.jpg

Outside again, I walked to the Roman city, a dwelling built later on, during the Punic wars, as a military camp. This first Roman settlement, on the Iberian Peninsula, became intermingled with Emporion’s Greek city. The whole compound covers a large area, and it is estimated that only 25% has already been excavated.

The ‘Forum’ is a central place in Roman cities; here, only a small portion is still standing or rebuilt; these remains however, provide an insight into its former splendor.

NIK_1154-Edit.jpg

NIK_1146-Edit.jpg

Sometimes, in the 70[sup]th[/sup], I had visited Empuries; few changes can be seen on my former pictures, obviously, thirty years are only an eye blink in more than two millenniums of history.

The Roman Forum, pictures from the 70[sup]th[/sup].

sar%25206_0022.jpg

sar%25206_0023-Edit.jpg

The Roman houses, the Domus, are often decorated with exquisite mosaics; some are intact and provide valuable specimens of antic crafts.

NIK_1162-Edit.jpg

NIK_1170-Edit-2.jpg

A ‘Domus’ (Roman house) and a mosaic, pictures from the 70[sup]th[/sup].

sar%25206_0025-Edit.jpg

The Greek city overview, picture from the 70[sup]th[/sup]:

sar%25206_0025-Edit.jpg

North from Emporion, the view stretches to the Pyrenees, a mountain range often still snow capped in June.

NIK_1175-Edit.jpg

3. Driving back on country roads

Route GIV 6322/621 is an alternative way, back from L’Escala’s north rim, to Torroella de Montgri; it avoids the straight drive on highway C-853.

As the Empurdà was once covered with lakes and inundated marshlands, small fortified cities were often built on hills, close to a castle and to a church, to increase their defensive power and to avoid floods.

Along my back road itinerary, the first medieval city is Albons, a charming old village perched on a small mount. The Sant Cugat roman church and the runes of an old castle are its historic testimonials; my favorite features, however, are the pastel colored houses lining narrow streets; a glance into an atmosphere apparently frozen in time.

NIK_1238-Edit.jpg

NIK_1239-Edit.jpg

image.png

image.png

My journey continued, on the narrow country road, to ‘Bellcaire d'Emporda’, another medieval dwelling built on a highland. It once poked out of a large lake that was dried up in the 18[sup]th[/sup] Century.

NIK_1244-Edit.jpg

This city, a former residence of the Count of Empuries, host a large fortified ‘Palace-Castle’ (‘Castell-Palau’), a stronghold challenged by the opposite, unfinished, ‘Montgri Castell’. In the 14[sup]th[/sup] Century, this fortification also protected the local populations against the sea brigands.

NIK_1248-Edit.jpg

image.png

NIK_1245-Edit-3.jpg

image.png

The Baix Empordà has a dense maize of secondary trails and I left Belcaire on an unsealed road, following an approximative west direction. This itinerary brought me through a yellow ocean of sunflowers, with a gorgeous view toward the medieval city, poking to the sky like an island.

image.png

image.png

Finally, for the last stretch toward Ullà, I joined the paved secondary road, along the Montgri Massif’s western rim.

NIK_1244-Edit.jpg

From time to time, along this pastoral trail, flocks of goats or sheep can be seen; this, unfortunately, seems, to be a more and more seldom encounter.

NIK_1258-Edit.jpg

NIK_1415-Edit.jpg

The majestic Montgrit massif is an ubiquitous landmark, and a beckon all around the Baix Empurdà. Seen under various perspectives, its characteristic shape, a sleeping woman or a bishop, with its ‘nipple’ castle, pointing toward the sky, is a precise ‘position system’ even without a map..

image.png

image.png

4. Down to the Ter river’s mouth

The Empurdà is a vast alluvial sediment plain; the Baix Empurdà, for its part, is drained by two major rivers flowing toward the Mediterranean sea, along the coast between L’Estartit and Pals. The old Daró river stream irrigates the ‘Basses d’En Coll’ lagoons and the Ter its Aiguamols. These regions are popular cycling destinations and ‘motor assisted’ conveyances are well advises to keep a low profile and a moderate speed.

From highway C-31, south of Torroella de Montgri, a partly paved, partly earthen track, leads along both sides of the ‘Gola del Ter’ (Ter river mouth).

NIK_3176-Edit.jpg

For my first itinerary, I followed the river’s right rim, leaving the main road on the bridge’s south side.

NIK_1316-Edit.jpg

NIK_1332-Edit.jpg

The sea shore, at the river’s mouth, features gorgeous marshes, sand dunes and reed beds landscapes. In June, the beaches are not yet crowded, but punctuated by - wind and water shaped - old tree trunks. The whole region is, nowadays, a protected natural park, keeping human activities inside narrow limits (‘Reserva Natural Partial del Baix Ter’).

NIK_1285-Edit.jpg

NIK_1290-Edit.jpg

NIK_1293-Edit.jpg

NIK_1299-Edit.jpg

NIK_1303-Edit.jpg

NIK_1304-Edit.jpg

There is no bridge at the seashore and, in order to cross the river, wanderers have to pass through waist level waters. On a motorcycle, the trail goes back to the highway and, down again, on the other rim.

NIK_1356-Edit.jpg

NIK_1379-Edit.jpg

NIK_1383-Edit.jpg

From ‘El Bari de Ter’, the track follows a paved and finally an earthern road, along the river’s left side, to the ‘Aiguamols del Baix Ter’, the northern part of the natural park. This protected marshland zone is also home to various kinds of local plants and wildlife.

NIK_3177-Edit.jpg

NIK_3185-Edit.jpg

NIK_3482-Edit.jpg

NIK_3198-Edit.jpg

NIK_3206-Edit.jpg

NIK_3189.jpg

Wild grass, sand dunes and an undulating sea shore, the river Ter’s mouth is a great destination for nature lovers.

NIK_3211-Edit-Edit.jpg

NIK_3215-Edit.jpg

NIK_3220-Edit.jpg

NIK_3240-Edit.jpg

Less than a kilometer from the coast, the Medes islands punctuate the sea’s offing, particularly the curious Carall Bernat, sugar cone shaped and white caped. These rocks are the last hiccups of the Montgrit mountain range, collapsing into the Mediteranean sea.

NIK_3228-Edit.jpg

DSC02680-Edit.jpg

NIK_3230-Edit.jpg

A sand-trail, recessed from the shore, leads toward l’Estartit, through the – nowadays -protected La Pletera area.

NIK_3242-Edit.jpg

NIK_3248-Edit.jpg

NIK_3254-Edit.jpg

NIK_3260-Edit.jpg

Odd pseudo-antic vestiges, along la Pletera zone, testify about an aborted urbanization development. A rehabilitation project is already drafted but its realization is still lacking the realization funding.

NIK_3261-Edit.jpg

NIK_3263-Edit.jpg

NIK_3266-Edit.jpg

Coming from nowhere, a straight paved stretch finally leads to L’Escala, along Els Griells urbanization.

NIK_3280-Edit.jpg

The colorful l’Estartit harbor, marked the end of my loop, over and around the Montgrit mountain range.

NIK_3302-Edit.jpg

NIK_3307-Edit.jpg

Driving back to Torroella de Montgri, I completed my ramble with a short stretch to the West. After a couple of kilometers, the road follows a channel, completely dry at this season. This artificial link drains the rivers Daró’s high waters, making it a river Ter’s affluent, a curse deviation who greatly benefited to the Galta’s region, sparing it from frequent inundations.

image.png

NIK_1385.jpg

NIK_1387.jpg

image.png

The Gualta’s outskirts provide an adequate ending point for my peregrination, as my next itineraries through ‘Emporsdá’s Medieval Sites’ (see the following GT-Rider trip report) will lead me through this region again.
next itineraries through Emporsdá’s Medieval Sites (see the following GT-Rider trip report) will lead me again through this city.

NIK_1395-Edit.jpg

Notes:

[1] Big Moto shop, Torroella de Montgri, www.bigmoto.es . Here I rented a small Honda Marauder 125. There are other bikes available, like scooters (50 and 125) BMW 650 and 1200

[2] As the weather was becoming menacing, I took the straight highway GI-632/C853 back from La Escala to Torroella de Montgri. My actual visit to the Empuries site was some days later, early morning, before the day’s highest peak (The site’s opening hour 09:30 AM)

Intersting Empurdà websites:

http://www.baixemporda.cat/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baix_Empord%C3%A0
www.mac.ca
http://www20.gencat.cat/portal/site/culturacatalana/menuitem.be2bc4cc4c5aec88f94a9710b0c0e1a0/?vgnextoid=2aeeef2126896210VgnVCM1000000b0c1e0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2aeeef2126896210VgnVCM1000000b0c1e0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=detall2&contentid=102c110e279d7210VgnVCM1000008d0c1e0aRCRD&newLang=en_GB
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empuries
http://www.cbrava.com/empuries/empuries.uk.htm
www.albons.net
http://webspobles.ddgi.cat/sites/ulla/default.aspx

http://www.begur.cat/web/cat/index.php
http://www.begur.cat/turisme/eng/historia.php
http://www.beguronline.com/history.htm
http://www.palafrugell.cat/portal/