The Fishing Boats - Re Visited

Jun 21, 2006
Was asked by Big and Tall if I had GPS points fo the washed up fishing boats, as I didn’t take my GPS on that ride, decided to ride up again, and get the GPS fix’s. I mentioned to Noel Akers that I was thinking of going up last Sundayto Khao Lak to check out the fishing boats, and before I knew it there was 8 of us on the ride.

The bikes consisted of a Phantom 150, Phantom 200, Shadow 400, Honda Wave and Yamaha Nouva, quite a mixture.

Phuket25001.jpg

The Motley Crew……

Phuket25002.jpg

GPS 08.39.58.4 098.15.13.2
There is now a food stall set up by patrol boat, also selling caps and dvd’s of boat and tsunami.

Phuket25004.jpg

UPDATE - THIS BOAT HAS NOW BEEN MOVED AND IS SOMEWHERE CLOSE BY TO THE ORANGE ONE.

All 3 boats had make shift ladders or steps leading up to the boats, but we weren’t game to climb on board.

Phuket25008.jpg

TropicalJohno showing off the latest in motocycle gear

Phuket25009.jpg

Phuket25010.jpg

Phuket25011.jpg

GPS 08.51.48.0 098.16.33.8

Phuket25014.jpg

All ready for the return ride back to Phuket

Phuket25017.jpg

Noel and Tina ready for the imminent thunderstorm

Phuket25018.jpg

Peter and Dorothy

Phuket25019.jpg

The ride along the coast from Ranong to Phuket, is quite scenic, the best part is around Khao Lak, a good road surface and some nice ‘sweepers’, as you can see from fotos below

Phuket25022.jpg

Phuket25026.jpg

Phuket25032.jpg

About 30kms north of Phuket the heavens opened big time, typical floods across the road, with the trucks making some great waves as they charge through them. Had to ride in the tropical monsoon for around 90 minutes, and just before arriving home, no rain whatsoever, so here are the locals riding their bikes in t’shirt and shorts, and we ride past them in full wet gear… as they say, Amazing Thailand.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
another great story... Those photos always amaze me...

what a terrible time, I had a mate who was in Koh Lak looking at some land he was thinking of buying... he headed back to Ban Kruat (Buriram) on Chirstmas Day and no one could contact him...

Pretty stressful time for us, I am sure many people have similar stories...

Thanks for another good write up...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Nov 14, 2012
just came back from Khao Lak n visited the fishing vessels...they are now parked side by side in a field...dunno where cos a local brought us there...:) . the sight of the huge vessel an awesome sight ...just imagine the waves that brought them there...my photos will follow later...