The Old Missing Import Duty Receipt Problem ..

ShayneFromOz

Jan 15, 2019
Hi Everyone

I am new on this site.

I have an opportunity to buy a very nice 1999 KTM 400 EXC as it doesnt have any Import Duty papers, whch makes it an illegal import. The owner broght it in many years ago with household effects in a container and it wasnt on the manifest so wasnt declared, and so no duty was paid.

What i want to know is .. What will happen if I contact customs and explain this and that i would like to make the bike legal by paying the duty?

Will I have to pay a fine also? Whats the official % of value or amount of this fine? Are there any criminal charges possible?

I would like t think that if I approach them voluntarily that they would see this as a positive gesture and be fair ahout it, but many years here makes me acutely aware that its not always what you expect.

Some have suggested there are shipping companies that will add it to a manifest and declare it, paying the official duty to make it fully legal import, thus avoiding any fines or hefty bribes. While not exactly legal at least the Customs Duty gets paid and the bike is legally here, with import papers.

I want to resolve this problem in the mosty legal way I can without etting myself into too much hot water, or unacceptable charges.

Any input based on real/personal experiences much appreciated.

Oct 17, 2006
im my experience ,, used to grey import bikes ,, I was successful on many bikes up to 2007 , but then lost a HD to a corrupt customs official on a technicality ,, he is still riding it around Pattaya , so you are at risk of having the bike confiscated or ripped off ,, im sure its still possible to legalise it if a legal import receipt is found but it may be extremly expensive to do ,, may be best to just use it a s an off road hack if you are out in the sticks

without a import receipt it has zero value except as spares.

ShayneFromOz

Jan 15, 2019
Ok, looking for another .. anyine know of a KTM or Husky 300cc two stoke for sale?
Even a 250 would be fine for these single trials

Sep 13, 2010
im my experience ,, used to grey import bikes ,, I was successful on many bikes up to 2007 , but then lost a HD to a corrupt customs official on a technicality ,, he is still riding it around Pattaya , so you are at risk of having the bike confiscated or ripped off ,, im sure its still possible to legalise it if a legal import receipt is found but it may be extremly expensive to do ,, may be best to just use it a s an off road hack if you are out in the sticks

without a import receipt it has zero value except as spares.

It would be a smouldering pile of ash if I saw it on the roads...