Tibet

kurisu

Feb 14, 2008
Love the photos and great writing too.

Did you have any problems LEAVING china by bike? I want to travel out of china this summer on a chinese bike, and wondering if anyone has had experience doing this.

Chris

Well, thanks, what can I say? You are the only person so far to like my writing... :-D

Since our bikes aren't Chinese reg'd I guess our experience means nothing to what you are trying to do. We had no problems leaving and on entering Laos customs didn't want to talk to us, so we left without any import docs.

Anyway, if Chinese and Lao reg'd vehicles can't cross the border, who can? Good luck to you.

kurisu

Feb 14, 2008
Maybe I can just fake the plates or something, bring my korean plates with me. Was it hard to get the bikes INTO China? Did you have to go through a lot of hell to get them in?

Chris

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Peter-

I had no idea you were on such a journey. Fantastic photos and I also liked the narrative. Anyone who hasn't taken the time to go to your links doesn't know what they are missing.

I have read your China and Tibet reports but I don't see the answer to the question so many ask on this board; how did you get the bikes into Tibet and China?

Great stuff, I will continue reading...........

Forget about faking anything for China. It wouldn't make a difference anyway: foreign licences and regos are not recognised by China, they haven't signed any of the road traffic treaties.

No hell at all. We organised it through Trans Himalaya. Sent them scans of all our documents by email and paid 24000 Euro for the four of us. They and a military-owned agency did the rest. Took two months. Can't say it was difficult, just too bloody expensive. Other agencies will apparently do it for less, but probably take longer.

Tibet "Autonomous" Region bumps up the cost, due to a number of special permits required, as does each province you want to enter. We crossed a small corner of Sichuan and Yunnan, of course.

Dave: Thanks very much for the encouragement.

Actually, I have posted something about entering China elsewhere, I think. There really isn't much to it, just advance planning and lots of money. I wouldn't do it again, for the simple reason that I couldn't really talk to the Tibetans about their life under occupation. Not because of the guide, although he was useless, but because we don't share a common language.

That is not to say I didn't enjoy the trip, it was fantastic. Just too expensive and most of the money went to the military or the govt.

Ouff, our posts are crossing over...